Guest viewing is limited

MUA Festina lente -Hastening slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.
So very happy for you! My Prosecco is ready whenever you make the call for a toast. Have a great day!
 
Just back from Physio. She was amazed at my progress (as am I). Gentle massage and some manipulation of ITB. She measured my ROM at 100+ . Happy days. I'm to keep up the icing, gentle heel slides and using my pedal exerciser but taking it easy. Fine by me.
 
I'll be taking the Diclofenac until Wednesday. How about popping the corks on Thursday evening?
 
Yes, so happy! And happy that you have a PT who understands the importance of gentle therapy. Napping, ice, elevation sounds like a good afternoon!
 
How much you have grown in strength.. Your first post was a bit fearful and that increased til you gritted your teeth and went for it! And now.. "I'm so pleased with the outcome of the MUA ".

Not that you would want to do it again but it gives others hope and reassurance. Thank you for sharing.
 
I was terrified of a MUA. You're made to feel that its the last resort and that its ineffective and risks making things worse. Fortunately I'd found much more up to date research studies which were very positive. That made me feel a bit better about it. Plus I had nothing to lose!
The procedure was very quick and very effective. I was told I'd be in a lot of pain- also not true. I don't need pain killers at all.
Its fair to say that I bounded into physio yesterday saying that everyone should have a MUA which made them laugh. They were so pleased for me that it had worked so well. Massive phew!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Massive 'phew' indeed! I`m delighted that you`ve had such success! Recovery is so very much bespoke and one size can`t fit everyone. I wish it would as then we`d all opt for the faster, straightforward option - though I`m not sure that exists!

I`ve managed to expedite my appointment and will now see my surgeon on Monday. If it`s anything like my hair before I have an appointment, all should be just fine!

Onwards and upwards!
 
I'm glad you're seeing the Dr sooner @Cratchit. Sounds like you need to be seen. Hope all OK.
 
Thanks @Spex10 :) I`ve got my physio appointment tomorrow so that should provide some info to take to the appointment. Onwards and upwards towards Thursday when we`ll all raise a glass!
 
How uplifting to read how well you are doing! I am so glad the MUA worked for you! What good news. And wonderful that you're not having the normal afterwards pain! God is good!
 
I'm trying to work out how to put the references for the MUA studies I found.
1) in journal KSRR by Yoo, Oh et al. Pub Dec 2015. Vol27(4) p233-239.
2) in journal Annals of Translational Medicine by Mammarelis et al. Pub Nov2015. Vol3(20)

I know I've not put these refs correctly I just can't cut and paste on my mobile phone!
The first article demonstrated that MUA was safe and effective and the second that it was more usefully done in the first 12 weeks.
 
The physio on Monday massaged my IT band area which she said was extremely tense. The massage seemed quite painful but she clearly knew exactly what she was doing. I was told to try to do this at home.
Well I didn't bother until last night. I decided to have a go and I'm so glad I did. It felt great. Obviously I couldn't do it like the physio but I'll certainly do it again.
SUGGESTED CHANGES to BONESMART MANTRA - rest, ice, elevation AND a good physio who really knows what they are doing. Its a shame there isn't an international directory of kneesmart physios. That could save so much time, effort and pain!
 
I've learned that finding a good PT is as important as finding a good OS, but we (including me) sometimes just go with what's convenient. After my TKR I went to a PT a mile away so those driving me wouldn't have as far to go, but after my infection I chose a different PT group who were knowledgeable about TKRs, saw lots of TKRs and were non-aggressive. My family said they didn't mind driving the extra 8 miles in traffic, luckily though they only had to drive me for a few weeks until I could drive myself.
 
I'm so hoping to be allowed back behind the wheel after my appointment with the OS next week! Independence after so long will be brilliant.
 
I haven't measured it today but my knee still bends so that's fine by me! Looking at it its comfortably at 90 degrees which I'd expect while seated. I suspect I could bend it further but am not pushing it.
Its prosecco time I think!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom