Hip Arthroscopy Femoral Nerve Damage?<

@Mojo333

My therapist was aware of my knee and was the one who kept saying it sounded like a knee injury from when I started when I was 3 weeks post. So we have been working around it to not agitate. So if it bothers my knee or hip we don't do it. At first it was only painful during certain movements, I wore the fitted strap/brace the dr gave me for 2 days and then things started declining from there. So I haven't worn it since. I ice as much as I can. But walking agitates my whole knee now not just the tendon but I get pains down the side of my inner knee pain under the knee cap, then it will pop with ever step so I just stop trying to bend it period. Laying on my side agitates my knee. Anything I do even once my pain is leveled off. Idk I am over it. I have to go back to work in 3 weeks fmla will be exhausted, no pto. I dont have much time to rest I have to get use to being on my feet again. I just dont know what to do anymore....I figure 1 day all of this has to end right? Lol
 
Have you thought of trying those stretchy self adhering sports wraps?
They can be tight or loose as you like and have helped me before when I twisted my knee and had alot of loading and unloading of donations going on at work.
 
@Mojo333

I have osteoarthritis in my knees so when I ran pre op I braced them with these cheap unloading braces, I am going to try that and see if it gets better. Fingers crossed.
 
Hi @fallenstar,

If your doc says you have petella tendinitis, then I have two questions for you:

1. Have you discussed getting an injection with him. Seems many people on the forum have had that done for tendinitis.

2. Have you tried completely resting you knee for a couple of weeks... like, not weight bearing at all?

Cheers
 
I was so sorry to read about your knee issues. Have you had e stym on your quad muscles? I used it after tkr to wake up my quad muscles so that I could do quad sets properly. It does seem like the hip surgery has aggravated the knee. But the most immediate problem is how to go to work. so, yes I think a brace will help you move around so that you can get to work. I bought one at a sporting goods store that worked for me. Patella tendonitis is painful and it is true that rest is the best thing for it..

what has your pt recommended for the patella tendonitis? rest is the first thing that Mayo clinic recommends. Be sure to get a brace with a hold for your patella, pushing it against the knee won't help. I have been known to cut the brace to make a bigger hole when necessary!!

I think you are trying to push through this, but that is not the way that tendonitis is treated. You need to maybe rest until you need to go to work and then come home from work and rest as much as you can.
 
@wonkyhipoy

PT believes I have "tendonitis" from keeping my leg bent so long (2 weeks) then trying to walking incorrectly for 1 week when I tried to go weight bearing. They dont do anything that aggravates it and keep saying to ice it like crazy and once I strengthen it should go away. When I am at home honestly I rest....I dont do anything. Not sure if this is helping, hurting.....have no tried no weight bearint again.

@skigirl
They do 10 mins of NMES while I do a quad set with each ramp up at every session. Which is probably why I have the quad muscle I do have. I put the brace I had on and after 3 minutes my shin and quad started hurting. Idk what to do. My knee appointment is the 26th. I need something.

@Mojo333
No, not much better. Trying to stay sane at this point. I appreciate everyones help and advice on here. Thank you for asking.

I will report back the findings after my knee appointment
 
:fingersx: for some answers and a resolution.
I know you are tired of this...but do keep the faith.
Sending all the best mojo your way!:roseshwr:
 
ask your pt about a brace. Mine used to have them on hand and they were less expensive than from the sporting goods store.
 
For those who care for an update.
I am now 10 weeks post op, my knee still gives out when trying to weight load. I have been in excruciating knee pain beyond words, with slight swelling at times, but my foot never fails to swell along with it. I finally caved and saw my surgeon while awaiting my appointment with a different dr. My surgeon got me in right away. Ordered a MRI for the 26th and results on the 30th. I have done nothing but laid around for the past 4 days or so, knee pain has subsided some but hurts to bend my knee or put any weight on it period. My surgeon seemed alittle freaked out and worried that he may have messed something up and actually apologized to me. Going back to work in 2 weeks. I am a big ball of anxiety. My hip has flared up, My hip flexor aches, my adductor aches, and today my femur feels like it hurts(odd feeling). Will give a update on the results on the 30th.
 
Aww, I'm so very sorry, sweetheart. This has been an awful time for you and my heart goes out to you.
Suffering such pain has to be horrible, all the while wondering what the source is.
I'm happy to hear you'll be getting the MRI, it's too bad you have to wait another 12 days from now for results. I'm sorry you're anxious but certainly understand why you are. The pain and uncertainty must feel overwhelming, not to mention the frustration in not being able to move forward. You're stuck!
Hopefully that ends soon and there's a quick resolution to the problem once it's diagnosed.
Hang in there. We're here for you anytime you need some support. I'm thankful you're sharing with us. We do care. Big hugs to you, sweetie :console2:
 
I too am glad you went ahead and got the MRI.
So sorry you are in a bad place but we do care...:sad:and hope that they pinpoint the problem, fix it! So you can get on with this Recovery!
 
I am also glad that your doc took your pain seriously and did not try to tell you to wait and see. I hope the news is good for you and hope it relieves your anxiety.
 
Update

No knee injury aside from slight ware on cartilage. He had no answer to my knee pain. But he suspects it to be femoral nerve damage. I am about 3 months post and still cannot walk without my knee giving way and me falling to the floor. I am scheduled for a EMG in 2 weeks.
 
Oh fallenstar.
I'm so sorry you are still struggling.
Truly.:console2:
 
I'm so sorry this is dragging on and on for you.
Please let us know how your next appointment goes.
Wishing you comfort as you wait :console2:
@fallenstar
 
Finally!!!!! AN ANSWER!! just had my EMG/NCS and there is confirmed femoral nerve damage. He believes it is not cut completely since I was able to get slight activation after trying over and over again, but there was damage present. He said it can take 3months- a year to fully heal. So happy to finally have a answer!!!
 
@fallenstar I know it's not ideal but how good to know exactly what the issue is. Yes, nerves take a long time to heal. Plan on a year and be delighted if it doesn't take that long. Well done for being persistent!

Please keep us updated!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom