Hip Arthroscopy Femoral Nerve Damage?<

@Mojo333

While doing those exercises I dont experience any added pain unless I push it, and if it does I don't do them. But going to cut back a lot and rest more.

Would love to walk, but just can't get to that phase.

Thank you
 
I am sorry you are having trouble walking. The problem with the exercises unfortunately, or WAS for me, is it doesn't hurt until later. Hard to find the borders of enough and too much. So, do take it easy. We are all rooting for you to feel better!:console2:
 
I agree with you, amazing the reps you were doing. It's no wonder you are suffering, sweetie.
When you get up in the morning, you're relatively pain free. But as the day progresses and the activity ramps up, so does your pain level. What if you give your body a lot more rest and see if your pain level remains relatively low throughout the day as you continue to heal? Are you feeling pressured by your OS, or PT to continue Physical therapy? Or do you simply fear going backward if you quit it for awhile? I don't expect you to answer, just something to ponder. What you're doing now, really doesn't seem to be helping.

I do trust Josephine's advice. She's seen a lot in her 50+ yrs in Orthopedics. I believe her when she says you should wait until you're 12 weeks, or more, into your recovery to engage in strengthening exercises. She's not saying never engage, just not now. Let your body heal, it's basically injured and exercising is most likely hurting rather than helping at this point. Obviously it's your decision but even if you choose to continue exercising, please don't be a stranger here. I'd like to hear you're getting better and hope you'll share as that happens. And if you decide to give the PT a rest and find you're improving, I promise we won't say "told you so." We care and want to see you pain free and moving forward in life. Wishing you comfort and perfect healing.
Big hugs!
@fallenstar
 
I had THR about 6 weeks ago. I'm also experiencing the same thing. I still have numbness in my knee and calf with weakness in my foot. My leg buckles sometimes too. :shrug: Not fun.
I’m assuming this is nerves and will resolve eventually. I guess it can take several months. I’m trying to go from the walker to a cane, but I’m still very unsteady. :sigh: It looks like from the advice given here, it’s going to take some patience. :bored::goodpost:
 
@Khaspi

So I saw my dr 7 weeks in and he cannot explain anything. But the leg buckling has become better with strengthening, I cut back tons on my home PT, most days I dont even do it, but still go to my 2 PT sessions a week. And I am showing signs of improvement but it has been extremely slow. I am almost 8 weeks out now. I still cannot weight load without my leg giving out and was diagnosed with patellar tendonitis on top of it all. I am almost strong enough to completely be dependent on a cane but for short periods of time. I still have numbness in my thigh.

Hang in there.
 
Hi,
It's so nice to hear from you! I've wondered how you were doing many times as I scanned the
thread titles. I'm happy to read you're at least feeling some improvement. I know you're not where you want to be, but it sounds as though you're slowly moving in the right direction. I'm sorry to hear about the patellar tendinitis. I'm not familiar, I will have to read up on that.

Please stay in touch. We'd love to follow your progress, offer encouragement and cheer you on in your victories.
I hope you have a great weekend!
@fallenstar
 
Today I tried going out with a cane only. Whoa...totally different than using the cane at home. I felt very insecure and shaky. I had one time when my knee buckled coming off a curb. Luckily my husband caught me. Then two more times at home it happened and I caught myself with a wall. After that, I went back to the walker. :boohoo:Don’t want to risk it!
More strengthening needed, I guess!
 
:hi: Glad you are seeing some progress..sorry that knee is complicating things.
I still have numbness in my thigh.
Mine started numb for up to 6 months...I thought it might be permanent.
All good now!
Wishing you a good weekend:loveshwr:
 
@Layla yes definitely very slow moving. I will definitely keep everyone updated.

@Khaspi the cane is definitely hard, I still have random moments of almost buckling with cane walking but mostly happens when I feel muscle fatigue and it just doesn't want to function anymore. Every once in a while it just happens period but it is far less than it was when I started on a cane. I still use 2 crutches if I am doing a lot of "walking " keep using it around the house, it does get better.

@Mojo333 definitely agitating finding out my knee had stuff going on as well. I feel like there may be more to it though I have had this pain in my knee since I started trying to weight bear at week 2 so for 6 weeks now it has not improved. I still cannot raise my lower leg and have to assist it getting into bed, lifting it out, it hurts to push it into my shoe, even walking I feel pain. My dr just asked where it hurt, poked his finger on my knee and said YUP patellar tendonitis, no imaging, nothing. Thinking about seeing a knee specialist for a 2nd opinion.

So glad to hear the numbness goes away!! Hoping I dont have to wait for 6 months that is kinda scary. Haha.
 
Hey there... has you PT looked at you rectus femorus muscle? The leg buckling thing is what caught my attention here. My MT found a number of trigger points on Monday in mine, and asked me if my leg ever felt like it was giving out. For me I have not felt a giving out sensation, but he said a buckling feeling is a common complaint when there are trigger points in the one of the quad muscles (for me it was the rectus femorus that gave the trigger points). Might be worth asking you PT.

Cheers
 
I should clarify that the amount of area and the amount of numbness lessened over that period of time.
Don't be surprised - as I was- if it dissipates and is replaced with fleeting zips and zaps...prickly sensation...as when your foot or arm falls asleep and is waking up.
Can be a bit disconcerting but common and temporary.
What are they recommending for you to do regarding your knee.
Ice and wrap it?
 
Last edited:
I too would want a second opinion on the knee diagnosis. I also find what wonkyhipoy mentioned above about the rectus femorus muscle Interesting. Please know we can tag Josephine again if you'd like her to weigh in with an opinion, or advise on next steps toward a firm diagnosis and treatment plan.
I hope this all eases for you soon.
Big Hugs
@fallenstar
 
@Layla we can tag Josephine I am curious. My knee keeps getting worse and worse and the more I see muscle development on my quad the more I am now realizing my leg is giving out at the knee. I am almost 9 weeks post and my knee is still giving out. Almost 7 weeks in from realizing my knee had pain, I still cannot do anything physical from the knee joint, like lifting my lower leg, pushing put my lower leg without a lot of pain, walking "normally" casues pain so I have to kinda flat foot it and kind fling my lower leg forward, if I place it forward myself it causes pain. I do have a appointment with a knee specialist on the 26th. Sadly I have to return to work Dec 3rd. Worried how all this will pan out.

@Josephine
 
Yes, it's okay that you tagged her. I'm sorry that your knee is bothering you but it sounds like you may be honing in on what's stalling the progress you feel you're behind on. I will look forward to Josephine's response.

It's too bad you can't see the knee specialist at an earlier date since your appt is only a week before your scheduled return to work. I hope you get answers soon and relief from the pain so you're able to move forward.
Wishing you comfort.
@fallenstar
 
Last edited:
My dr just asked where it hurt, poked his finger on my knee and said YUP patellar tendonitis, no imaging, nothing.
Don't you trust your doctor's diagnosis? It sounds about right to me.
 
@Josephine

I do not trust him. I asked him why I am have really bad instability, he mumbled a answer that made no sense. Not even medical terms it literally made no sense. He asked if I started PT (my therapist said she will note all my crazy issues and make sure he is aware and send them) so when he asked me that, "I said yes at 3 weeks my therapist sent a report didnt you get it?" He then says, "oh yea yea I got it" mind you I was 7 weeks at that appointment. He was so happy my hip was doing well but showed no concern over any of my other issues.

So you ask if I trust him? NO! Wish I never chose him and honestly wish I never had this surgery. Wish I can change post op drs......I am regretting so much right now
 
Why am I not surprised?


Yea I guess my research was lacking. I always check into all my drs regardless of what is being done. Hard lesson to learn. Still does not change my very real issue.
 
:console2:so sorry you are struggling!

Please don't feel like this is something you have done...including initially trusting the OS or feeling unsure about him now.
I've read it can take up to 6 weeks for this to ease and that is if it had been taken care of properly.
IF he is right, or if it was due to some rough handling during surgery...
What I found...I'm sure you have checked it out...
Treatment for patellar tendonitis is usually focused on pain reduction. A person will need to rest the affected leg, apply ice to the area, and take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication.
Do you wrap that knee or does a brace help?
I'm sorry if you already mentioned this in earlier posts..just would like to help .
I know you are frustrated...I sincerely hope things ease very soon.:) :-) (:
 
I'm so sorry. I wouldn't trust him either, sweetie. There are good medical professionals and bad ones. Sadly, you chose one with a dismissive, crappy bedside manner. This could happen to any of us and has probably happened to each of us at least once. It's not your fault.

I'm sure you've also researched Patellar Tendinits online and read Causes and Treatment. In reading, it states that it's common and usually self diagnosable, lab tests or imaging not required. I'll bet that's why your doctor barely poked around as you mentioned and quickly diagnosed the problem.

Wondering if he gave you a treatment plan? If not, I'd do my best with the suggestions the internet provides and hopefully the tendinitis begins to ease. If I were you I'd keep the appointment with the knee specialist in case it hasn't improved, or worsens. I'd be curious to see if you get the same diagnosis once again. Hopefully the next doctor offers you a treatment plan to help assist in losing the pain so you're able to move forward.

Please keep in touch. We're here for you to provide encouragement and support, a listening ear and advise when we're able. Wishing you comfort and healing.
Hugs :console2:
@fallenstar
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom