Guest viewing is limited

TKR Feel so alone

Wow Flash1955- good thing you were able to get into see the hospital physic. You followed your gut instinct and that is important. Hope this will get better quickly. Hang in there!
 
Glad you were able to get it seen & that it wasn’t serious!
 
Am also pleased you were able to be seen. It's a setback, but temporary. Don't let it make you feel despondent. Rest, Rest, Rest and ice. :friends:
 
Have a restful weekend.
 
Sounds like you had good advice Flash1955 - cut down on the physio and ice and elevate. Don't forget to spoil yourself and do what you like within your current temporary physical limitations.
 
Flash 1955, I am so sorry this happened to you, no wonder you were having so much trouble moving your knee. Glad you can just rest and ice it for now-you need break from this pain. Stay strong, it will get better.
 
Hey Flash 1955 - I'm glad you were able to find out the cause of your swelling. Rest, ice and elevation are key for you right now. Take care.
 
Hi all, now entering into week 4 .
Still extremely slow progress due to the continual swelling even after walking to the bathroom. I have very little bending movement and the back of my knee is extremely tight. I am doing very little exercise, should I be doing more?
I seem to spend my day icing and elevating and now my bottom cheeks ache due to sitting so much.
Since I left hospital I have had no physio
as all centres are closed due to the corona virus and they don’t expect to reopen for at least 3 months. Will this delay my healing and walking properly?
On a good note, my husband is 75 with severe underlying health problems and we are into our second week of self isolating. We are keeping well and happy.
I wish all of the members here good health
and keep safe x
 
Since I left hospital I have had no physio
as all centres are closed due to the corona virus and they don’t expect to reopen for at least 3 months. Will this delay my healing and walking properly?
Not at all! Ice, elevation and gentle stretches are the best therapy for a new knee. Many of our members had no physio and recovered very well. Listen to that knee - it is in charge right now.
 
Walking around your house doing your regular things is plenty of exercise for your healing knee. Not having formal PT won’t hinder your recovery at all.
 
Many of us never took formal PT or did exercises. I am one of them. I had 12 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took formal PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing. I used my knee as it was intended to be used by walking around to take care of my daily needs. As I healed I was able to do more. Icing and elevation was a huge part of my recovery.

Listen to your knee. It will tell you if you're doing too much by increased pain and swelling. When that happened to me, I found that resting, icing and elevating helped. Your knee knows how to rehab itself without being told what to do. Don't worry about doing no formal PT. You will be doing just fine without it. Besides, what you are doing to take care of your daily needs is PT!
 
Hi Flash,
I'm new to this forum too and just had mine on the 6th. Every day truly is a new experience with many ups and downs. You've already received some good advice by reaching out so I'll leave it to those with more experience. Just know you are definitely not alone. I wish you the best.
 
I too did not have very realistic expectations about early post-op. (My TKR was on Feb18.) However, it did not take long for me to realize that this recovery was going to be much longer than I anticipated. Really, when you think about it… our knees have been severely traumatized! If you can’t fully wrap your head around the surgery, watch one on YouTube.

Hang in there, you will get through this! You’re definitely NOT alone
 
I too did not have very realistic expectations about early post-op. (My TKR was on Feb18.) However, it did not take long for me to realize that this recovery was going to be much longer than I anticipated. Really, when you think about it… our knees have been severely traumatized! If you can’t fully wrap your head around the surgery, watch one on YouTube.

Hang in there, you will get through this! You’re definitely NOT alone
LOL, I tried to watch one on YouTube,. Darn near passed out.
 
A thought just occurred to me. At night when your in bed, are you icing / elevating? That might be helpful for you. Make certain your elevating correctly. Your leg shouldn't be straight out and up - but have a slight bend. Maybe that will help you somewhat.

And yes - we're in week 2 of shelter in place. It's not so bad and bonus - I can ice/elevate all day if I choose. We safe everyone.
 
Hi, hope you are all staying well.
Now three and half weeks post op. Has anyone experienced their new knee giving way when walking and coming down the stairs, I am still using crutches?
Why is this happening?
 
Now three and half weeks post op. Has anyone experienced their new knee giving way when walking and coming down the stairs, I am still using crutches?
Why is this happening?
This is happening because it's perfectly normal. Your knee isn't even 1/12 of the way healed yet. I used my walker for at least 2 weeks inside the house, then for about 6 weeks when outside around people. It's very easy at your stage to fall, especially if someone bumps into you or your knee gives out. As it heals, your muscles and tendons will strengthen up. There is no time frame for that. Each person's healing time is different because each knee after surgery is different, different going into surgery and different actual surgery that had to be done to it once inside the leg.

Try to not worry. You are just beginning this journey. Patience is the key to keeping yourself sane!
 
Now three and half weeks post op. Has anyone experienced their new knee giving way when walking and coming down the stairs, I am still using crutches?
Why is this happening?
This is happening because it's perfectly normal. Your knee isn't even 1/12 of the way healed yet. I used my walker for at least 2 weeks inside the house, then for about 6 weeks when outside around people. It's very easy at your stage to fall, especially if someone bumps into you or your knee gives out. As it heals, your muscles and tendons will strengthen up. There is no time frame for that. Each person's healing time is different because each knee after surgery is different, different going into surgery and different actual surgery that had to be done to it once inside the leg.

Try to not worry. You are just beginning this journey. Patience is the key to keeping yourself sane!

Thank you
 
Hi Flash, I've just caught up with your recovery thread. Sounds like you're having a very normal recovery. I had my knee replaced in November 2018 and I just wanted to share my experience with you. I was quite worried that I wasn't doing enough physio or exercise but I've been an avid member of this forum since I had my hip replaced in 2014. That was a great success and I'm sure it was because I followed the bonesmart way. I was determined to do that with my knee too and it proved to be the right thing to do. Several friends and neighbours have had knee replacements in the last three or four years and the most discouraging results have been from people who 'did all the exercises they told me to do'. Mostly they caused their recovery to be delayed by stressing and hurting the knee more than they needed to. It's very hard to resist doing them - we are the 'no pain, no gain' generation! In the case of a knee replacement, less is more - exercise that is. If you read my recovery thread you'll get a feel for how worried I was that I wasn't doing enough. I have had a lovely recovery and can now do just about everything I could do with my bone except for kneeling. That is a no-no. Good luck my dear and do pay attention to the forum advisors. They have excellent advice for you.
 
Hi Flash, I've just caught up with your recovery thread. Sounds like you're having a very normal recovery. I had my knee replaced in November 2018 and I just wanted to share my experience with you. I was quite worried that I wasn't doing enough physio or exercise but I've been an avid member of this forum since I had my hip replaced in 2014. That was a great success and I'm sure it was because I followed the bonesmart way. I was determined to do that with my knee too and it proved to be the right thing to do. Several friends and neighbours have had knee replacements in the last three or four years and the most discouraging results have been from people who 'did all the exercises they told me to do'. Mostly they caused their recovery to be delayed by stressing and hurting the knee more than they needed to. It's very hard to resist doing them - we are the 'no pain, no gain' generation! In the case of a knee replacement, less is more - exercise that is. If you read my recovery thread you'll get a feel for how worried I was that I wasn't doing enough. I have had a lovely recovery and can now do just about everything I could do with my bone except for kneeling. That is a no-no. Good luck my dear and do pay attention to the forum advisors. They have excellent advice for you.

Thank you so much. Stay well in this trying time.
 
Back
Top Bottom