THR Feb 25 Birdlady moving to recovery side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow marks my 8 week post op date. Saw my surgeon's physician assistant today and everything is progressing even better than expected. Got some push back on cancelling my PT sessions, but I think I convinced him that I can manage just as well, if not better, on my own. I'm still doing Tai Chi classes twice a week and practicing various moves every day. I do the exercises that the PT gal gave me at my one and only session, once or twice a day, depending on what other activities I've been doing that day. I don't take any pain meds and only vitamin supplements. Got a blood test today and all counts are at normal levels. I'm cleared for swimming and light weight training, but still need to be aware of the 90° rule and no crossing legs, etc.. I didn't tell him that I have been violating the 90° rule pretty regularly without any adverse affect.:heehee: My only issue is the leg length differential feeling that has diminished some, but is still affecting the way I walk. I need to always keep in mind the need to walk equally on both legs. I will go back in a month to get an xray for the leg measurement to see whether the difference is real or just apparent. Otherwise I am pretty much back to normal. Have some very slight outer thigh pain if I overdo the exercise, and some occasional pain around the knee area, which he feels is probably coming from some deterioration in my lumbar spine region. Just the joys of getting old. I am absolutely amazed at how easy this whole process has been and how quickly my body has recovered. I know I'm not completely healed yet, and I do take care not to try to do too much, but it's hard when I feel so good. I've become an inspiration to my over 60 Tai Chi group.:rotfl:
 
@birdlady And, what an inspiration you are! You have done great! What an awesome 8 week report.
Continued happiness to you... :loveshwr:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Feb 25 Birdlady moving to recovery side
Fantastic update, @birdlady!!!! TIME & PATIENCE almost always get the job done with a bit of help from us.
 
Had my three month post op checkup today and everything is healing well. I was a little concerned during the past week because I've been having a slight bit of pain just under the incision area. However, the OS assistant believes it's probably bursitis since I've been overdoing it in my garden. The only downer is that after xrays, he confirmed that I do have an 8 millimeter (approx 3/8 inch) LLD, with the operated leg being longer. He recommended that I start with a 3mm heel lift and work up to whatever level feels most comfortable over a period of a few weeks. I'm bummed out that I'll have to wear a shoe insert, but since everything else has gone so well, I guess I really don't have much reason to complain. He did say that the xrays showed prominent stenosis in my lumbar spine area so I'll probably be looking at another back surgery in the not too distant future. :hairpulling: Oh the joys of growing old!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom