THR Feb 25 Birdlady moving to recovery side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Birdlady! Coumadin is such a pain as it requires frequent blood testing and dosage adjustments to get therapeutic levels. It's effects last 2-5 days which makes dosing even more complicated. A lot of doctors like to use it though because it has been around forever and is easily reversed. How long does your doc want you to take it? If you are up with a cane, then you are doing great! I took Lovenox as a blood thinner for 10 days and don't need to take a blood thinner any more. Glad to hear you are doing so well and isn't it wonderful that we can sleep at night again!
 
What a difference a day makes. Yesterday I was feeling energized and pleased with progress. Today, not so much. I hurt all over, no energy, and am just generally feeling sorry for myself. I guess I should be happy that this is the first time I've come down with a case of the blues, but I hate it! When my PT gal came today I told her I just wasn't up to it, and she agreed I may have been overdoing it. I tried to stretch out my pain meds this morning, and that didn't work either. I'm still taking hydrocodone 10/325 every four hours, and it's not really controlling the pain as well as I think it should. I envy those of you who say they don't have any pain. I always have some pain. Not as bad as previously over the incision area, but always an aching pain radiating down the operated leg. I don't think anything is wrong as the nurse says the incision area is healing well. There is swelling in the leg which I've been icing and elevating, but maybe not as much as I should. Anyway, I intend to spend the weekend resting. It's supposed to be stormy so it'll be nice being cozy inside and listening to the wind and rain outside. Thanks for letting me whine. I know it's early days yet, but I like to think of myself as superwoman, so this is a hard pill to swallow.
 
@birdlady. Unfortunately the blues comes along to visit us all at some time on this roller coaster of a journey....do hope it doesn't last too long for you. Yes, there is always ' some' pain or other....everything waking up and wanting attention!! You are still superwoman....but you just need to take a couple of days leave and be slow and steady woman. You will be back up there again in a couple of days. Take it s.l.o.w and steady. Cheers Chrissie x xx x x
 
A thought. When are you hurting? If it is while you are not moving, you have pain. If while moving, ... Well, if it hurts, don't do it. You are still early in the recovery stage. At 2 months, there is plenty I could do that hurts. I just don't do it. At your 2.5 weeks, most all movement can result in at least some slight discomfort. That aching pain down the leg is the post that was driven into your femur with a large hammer. Ouch! Yes it will ache for a while. I'm sure the discomfort is much less than the pain before surgery.

Remember, you are early in recovery still. Your "blues" testify to that. Relax. Look forward to each new day. Eat, sleep, take it easy and enjoy the weather before the rain hits today. Let your body heal. Give your body time. You WILL feel better, but it takes time.
 
@Hoppy Nanny, @ARHip,
Thanks, guys, for the support. I'm feeling much more optimistic today. I still plan to spend most of this weekend resting and icing, since our Arkansas weather this weekend isn't going to be good for much else. @Healthyhip12, My OS surgeon wants me to continue with the Coumadin for the rest of the month. I have my follow-up appt with him this Wednesday and he may change his mind after that. We'll see.
 
I don't think you should feel bad about taking hydrocodone 10/325 every four hours. It is a relatively weak pain med when compared to oxycodone. More convenient though because it can be called in.
 
@birdlady I'm just catching up with your recovery. Sounds like you are really doing well. I found an active day followed by a rest day worked well. Pretty soon the rest days get shorter.
 
Had my follow-up visit with the OS today and everything looks great. 4 1/2" incision is all closed over and healing well. I'm supposed to start using a vitamin e cream on it to reduce scarring. I'm sort of tickled that my OS is so concerned about scarring. He sews the incision shut with tiny stiches that detiorate without having to be pulled and will leave only a very fine scar. I think I sort of insulted him when I told him I was past the age of being concerned about a bikini scar. LOL. Anyway, I'm off the Coumadin. Down to 1/2 my hydrocodone pill about every 6 hours. OS says to supplement with naproxin or ibuprofen is more is needed. Went out to dinner with hubby after my appointment, walking with just a cane, and after about two hours I was ready for my recliner and ice pack. Sitting her now catching up on blogs and listening to Idol. Things are looking good!
 
@birdlady , great update! I felt the same about my scar. But as Jo says, you really don't need to do anything to it. Mine healed up nice and neat without any creams or oils.

Glad you are getting out and about!
 
Great update ... your bikini scar comment made me laugh!!?!! Hang in there, rest and recover!
 
Does anyone have any experience with restless leg syndrome becoming severe after THR. I've had problems with this for many years, but until recently have been able to control it by taking an additional 600mg of magnesium citrate. While I was taking hydrocodone after surgery I didn't have any trouble sleeping and didn't notice any RLS. However, I've now cut down on almost all the hydrocodone, and have trouble when my legs are stationary for any length of time. In the last couple of nights I've been up walking the floor for hours trying to tire myself enough so that the twitching and crawling feelings don't keep me awake. I must say I'm getting a lot of my exercises done just because I have to keep moving. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with a similar condition and if they've found some relief.
 
Just a quick update and a question for the group. Today was my 4 week anniversary. I went to my Tai Chi class, went through the routines and lasted for about 45 minutes. Yay! I'm off all medication except for naproxin twice a day. Pain is minimal. I had a scare last week after my PT session. I had a very sharp pain in my hip after getting out of the car, and for a moment I thought I had dislocated the hip. I was pretty sore for several days afterward and decided that that was the end of PT for me, at least for a while. My question is, does anyone else have a problem with always feeling cold? I've usually had the opposite problem, but since surgery, I can't seem to get warm even when I bundle up in layers. Is this a normal response to surgical trauma, and if so how long does it last? Hopefully the weather will change soon and I can go outside and soak up some sunshine. All in all I'm very pleased with my progress and will stop whining about my little issues.:kittykiss:
 
@birdlady. 45 minutes of tai chi...well done you!! The sharp pain sounds like it may have been groaning after your PT session...probably stiff after getting out of car....from what I've heard you would know if it was dislocated ....these hips certainly let us know if we've overdone it! Yes, I'm always cold since my op...I can't get warm...think all our bodies resources going towards healing? So glad you are pleased with your progress...there are so many little issues that crop up during the recovery but they all fade away. Take care...Chrissie x
 
Hello everyone. I wish I'd known this site before THR. So informative. I feel not alone in my feelings and daily expiriences. I am alittle more than 6 weeks post op. I also have a lld but am hopeful it will even out. My doc suggested an insert but I gave him a "no way" look and he was like ok,ok lets wait and see. I was wondering if there were any other good muscle strengthening exercises besides the band, ankle tilts, marches etc? I notice I am limping more after 6 or so hours. Then , I rely on my cane more. Still using the potty lift
 
Hi @ccrofoot. Great that you've found BS....it certainly helps to know you are not alone in this recovery. I didn't find it until I was 7 weeks post op too. I also had LLD which has now disappeared at 6 months. I kept using one elbow crutch when walking out which improved my gait and the limp disappeared too.
You might want to start your own recovery thread and then people can follow your recovery from now on?
Hope you continue to do well. Take is slow and easy...it can't be rushed...Chrissie xxx
 
Thanks Chrissie and I will start a thread (oops) did not mean to hi-jack:sorry:. Great relief to hear your LLD is dissapearing
 
It's not hijacking!! Just be nice to follow your recovery @ccrofoot and see how you are doing...otherwise it's difficult to track you down!! Hope you have a good week.....it's strange how you can have a good one and then some niggly pain/ feeling starts up!! Take care..Chrissie x
 
Today marks 6 weeks post op and I don't really have a whole lot to say (which is good isn't it). I am off all pain meds except for Tylenol if I overdo it some days. I go to Tai Chi class twice a week and practice nearly every day without pain. My range of motion is pretty much back to pre-op levels, which wasn't that great, but not too bad either, considering I'm a 71 year old broad. I can bend down and put on my shoes and socks, and dry my own feet after showering. All in all, I feel I've made a pretty amazing recovery. I see my surgeon's physician assistant in two weeks for probably my last check-up and I won't have any questions or problems to report. For those of you comtemplating surgery, or waiting on your scheduled date, don't sweat it! After the first week (which can be a bit rough), everything starts improving pretty rapidly. If I have to have my right hip done sometime in the future, I won't hesitate even for a minute.
 
Great report @birdlady.....so glad all going well and I'm so jealous of you being able to put on your shoes and socks...my back problems prevent me from doing that. Such good news and great for everyone due to have their op to read such a good report.....I'm trying to find a tai chi class near to my home...must be good exercise....Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom