Guest viewing is limited

TKR Falling after TKR

As a tall person with knee troubles, those low toilets are the bane of my existence! I've learned over the years, when possible, use the handicapped toilet. The seat is usually higher and there are grab bars to use to help get up. It isn't always possible though, and now that my knee is able to bend more I can get up from those low toilets. Sometimes I've literally had to use the back wall to push myself up!!
 
In my salutary loo lesson, I had no choice. A lovely farm coffee shop but with no disabled facilities. All low loaders and up some steep steps as they were in a sort of mobile unit!
I know I attempted to be slightly amusing [one has to be or one would scream sometimes] but there was an underlying serious point.

Don't ever assume because 'you're' up and at it when walking 'your' 10,000 steps a day without aids, that there won't be times when 'you' wish 'you' had crutch or walking stick with 'you'.

I have a folding stick. It will now live in the car and come out to play whenever I go out for a few hours.
 
In a similar situation recently, after having to sit on the seat (which our mums told us never to do) and to hang onto the seat to get back up, I used a load of alcogel wipes before and after - the horror! A folding stick is much more hygienic ;)
 
@Scaredycat10 If you want to look "hip" and not aged, walking poles are great, looks like you are fit & doing Nordic walking :heehee: as opposed to recovering, although you might get more respect with a walking stick.
Prior to going to my home in the North, I took the toilet seat raiser off my toilet, tempted to now put it back on as my seats are so low but its good exercise for me getting on & off. I do however now use ( whilst I'm on crutches) the disability toilets just like SusieQ)

So glad to read your update - Go Girl you are doing great, its brilliant once we realise that the months of recovery are worth it in the end, I'm too certain that I will follow suit eventually, my knee just wants to be a couch potato for a few months longer :eyebrows:

To find the emojis click on the second set of 3 dots on the top bar and another line will app.
 
Nordic pole now on my 'to buy' list. Thank you. Do I have to buy a Scandi pull on hat to go with it :)

I found the smilies again. They were having a rest, hopefully icing and elevating!

I'm not out of the woods yet. I have a 'behind knee' problem which is seriously hindering the bend. The bend is there so it's not a skeletal issue [thank you Prof , you did an ace job there] but the tendons behind the knee are incredibly painful when I bend past c. 100 degree flex. I know, I'm being picky but it does affect going upstairs and getting in the car. It's like a sharp kn ife. Only momentary and only at a greater flex so I can live with it, I'd just rather not.

Other than that, I truly would have to look at the scar to remind myself I had a major op less than four months ago so I know I am very, very, lucky.

I would add though, apart from being very diligent at prehab and rehab and having a brilliant team behind me all the way, I have been excessively careful. Overly so maybe but I couldn't afford to trip/twist or do anything which would hinder the recovery. I am, our legs and 'our' legs are back pushing the wheelchair and running the house as normal.
Will I have the other knee 'done'? I said never, now I'll say 'never say never'. :)
xx
 
Last edited:
I had same toilet problem when I went to the loo in a pub the other week. I sat and looked round and then thought hmmmm how on earth will I get up without touching toilet seat which I try not to do in public toilets. I chuckled to myself about how ridiculous it was and thought well I can sit here forever and got up using toilet roll holder hoping it would hold up. I will now take wipes with me in case it happens again and yes I now need to progress to getting up off toilet and other low seats with no aids. I also use disabled if available. I need to strengthen those knees and take the stress off my elbows which after months of lifting me up are protesting.

I used a hiking stick before op and have just moved back to it for walking out. I have found that people do still show more consideration - it must be my age along with the hiking stick :heehee: It was good to read your chirpy post and of course you must wear a nordic hat with a nordic pole :rotfl: its the law!!!
 
My other tip for us with low loader issues or any potential ones really...have your phone with you.

I forgot to carry mine around with me as I have got out of the habit of going out as such, unless out for a long [dist. all relative :) ] walk on my own as I'm a dinosaur who isn't interested in having my [non Smart] phone with me, but, it's now in my gilet pocket, in case of emergencies.

It's amazing how this ruddy 2 yr virus social distancing/don't go out has affected how I 'go out'. Handbag? What handbag etc. It's capacious pockets in gilet or parka.

Oh well, I'll practice being normal again. :) :-) (:
 
Normal normal is going out without taking masks with you.
Normal is going into an indoor setting without being concerned if the chap four tables away who is coughing his guts up has a cough, or Covid.
Normal is getting back to volunteering, as I did two days a week at our local hospice [they aren't accepting volunteers back yet in any case].
Normal is just not worrying about bringing a virus home to a compromised husband.

Normal normal is a bit of a way off yet for us but wearing masks [I am triple masked up when I wear one], I hope to start practicing being normal ...ish. :)
 
Normal normal is a bit of a way off yet for us but wearing masks [I am triple masked up when I wear one], I hope to start practicing being normal ...ish. :)
While other things might not be normal, your knee will be in the future. That's something to look forward to!
 
forgot to carry mine around with me as I have got out of the habit of going out as such, unless out for a long [dist. all relative :) ] walk on my own as I'm a dinosaur who isn't interested in having my [non Smart] phone with me, but, it's now in my gilet pocket, in case of emergencies.
Just make sure you have zips or buttons to close your pockets, as recently upon lowering myself onto a toilet seat, my Samsung phone shot down the toilet bowl, as it got soaked - it was unrepairable- an expensive lesson was learned :gaah:
 
I think it's necessary to have a phone with you, I also have a huge fear of getting locked inside, infact where possible I try not to lock the door :heehee:
 
I've heard rumblings here in WA state that they are going to discontinue asking for proof of vaccination (at least in King County, which is the only county that was requiring it) and also possibly no mask mandate state-wide starting March 1st. :fingersx:
 
I've heard rumblings here in WA state that they are going to discontinue asking for proof of vaccination (at least in King County, which is the only county that was requiring it) and also possibly no mask mandate state-wide starting March 1st. :fingersx:
It won't matter to us if mask wearing is mandated or not. We will continue wearing one foe a few months. No vaccine proof is needed to go to M&S or the gym/physio so I've been OK on that score for the past year and in fact, I don't think proof is required in nightclubs or anywhere in England now, not that I'll be visiting a nightclub for ohhh, at least a week! :loll:
 
I think if going out in public shortly after a TKR it would be wise to wear a mask and not just because of Covid. There are lots of germs out there and it's better to be safe and not catch anything when your body is already run down. Of course, that's just my opinion!
 
I am sitting here, reading all the comments on bathroom experiences, and I must confess, I’m getting really tickled ☺️. I’m pretty short ( used to be 5’3 1/2”, now, thanks to osteoarthritis & 77 years, 5’). But even so, I found the low toilet seats very hard to get down, & then, back up! One of our favorite restaurants here, Perkins, remodeled several years ago. Where there were 2 or 3 ( I forget) regular stalls, reasonable size & 1 handicap, they now have one handicap & 1 Very Tiny regular stall with a Low toilet. As soon as we feel safe, we want to take our grandson for breakfast, it’s a special treat for him, & he will occasionally ask, “ when can we go to Perkins, Grandma?”. I’m already thinking out my strategy for that potty run! I do have a little “pouch” with handle that I made pre-surgery for my cell phone. It’s pretty handy if I don’t want my purse, so I may tuck that into my purse... I keep thinking of the possibility of being Stuck in the Tiny ladies room. Btw, @Sara61 - my sister forgot to take her phone out of her jeans pocket recently, & it went through the wash! Fortunately, a very nice young man who helped her purchase a New one, was able to retrieve all of her info, most importantly, photos. We plan a brunch out at a local Creole Cafe next week with the kids... I’ll be prepared! Thanks to everyone on this particular post.
 
And another loo story...there are things called STPs (stand-to-pee devices) which are really really helpful for the knee-challenged. I bought one ahead of my TKR and used it twice, in the earliest days when I thought I might not be able to get to the loo in time.
 
In our earliest days, many of us wore Depends, just in case. They especially worked well at night.

During my recovery, we girls on here made a game of sitting on the potty. We would measure our bend by how far our heal would reach the designs on the floor. We'd celebrate when one of us was able to reach another line or design. Only a TKR recovery patient could understand that!
 
Following on from a post I made earlier in reply to one step stair descending, I do practice on an aerobic Reebok step set at it's lowest so I am trying.

Another little milestone a few mins ago,

I have had a very very hot shower, it relieves sundry aches and sort of pains. I tried coming downstairs 'properly'. OK, again I have two bannisters [hand rails] to help me but, I gingerly tried it and yayyy, I managed it.
No idea if this will continue without a hot shower before hand but it's the first time I have done that in probably years.
Little steps....!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom