TKR Falling after TKR

YAY ! We purchased a little step stool before my surgery, so I could descend from our high bed safely. Haven’t really used it much for that, as it was a Looong time before I could sleep well anywhere other than our couch. But!! It has been very handy for some of the “ step” exercises my PT gave me.. and is also handy to just keep near the kitchen so I could reach things safely ( instead of climbing onto a chair). It is a lot better for doing those “ step” exercises than the stairs. BTW, my PT once told me that two of the last things to accomplish were going downstairs normally, and, balance. I’m still slow going downstairs, often hold both rails, and, my balance is still sometimes “wonky”, especially if I’m tired. That hot shower before sound Great!
So , Congratulations!

@Scaredycat10 If you want to look "hip" and not aged, walking poles are great, looks like you are fit & doing Nordic walking :heehee: as opposed to recovering, although you might get more respect with a walking stick.
Hi @Sara61, walking/hiking poles have allowed me to hike through last year even with 2 really bad knees (my wrists and biceps got really worked up on long downhills!) I'd have wanted to take a pair with me on my recent Portugal trip but TSA (USA airport security) policies require them to be checked in and not in hand carried bags - no matter how tiny they fold up to. In the end, not having walking poles with me going up and down cobble stones streets were a good test for my new knee, which held up very well (the old, decrepit left knee wasn't all too happy though!)

I bumped into quite a number of Brits while there (mostly in the Lagos area), one of whom had had a TKR in Portugal a couple of years ago and was very happy with the entire experience - surgeon, hospital, physio, etc. We went to the local hospital to get our official Covid tests for our trip back to the US ... and we very impressed by the efficiency of the little place.

I've heard rumblings here in WA state that they are going to discontinue asking for proof of vaccination (at least in King County, which is the only county that was requiring it) and also possibly no mask mandate state-wide starting March 1st. :fingersx:
It won't matter to us if mask wearing is mandated or not. We will continue wearing one foe a few months. No vaccine proof is needed to go to M&S or the gym/physio so I've been OK on that score for the past year and in fact, I don't think proof is required in nightclubs or anywhere in England now, not that I'll be visiting a nightclub for ohhh, at least a week! :loll:

Hi @Scaredycat10 ,
In re Covid, our friends met us in Lisbon (they had Visa stuff to attend to) and we drove down to Lagos in their little car. Not long after arriving, one of them started feeling off and she begged off joining us for dinner. When we got back, she gave us the news - she tested positive (Covid tests are 2 euros and are easily found in pharmacies and groceries!!). We all tested as well - 3 negatives - but were sure we'd all eventually come down with Covid as well - given the 3+ hours together in the little car (all 4 of us had received all 3 vaccination shots). The next few days we went for long walks along the many different beautiful beaches in the area and home cooked our meals, with our Covid friend having her meals across the room from us. After 5 days, we were all negative and spent more time in town but delayed any indoor dining place for yet another few days - we didn't want to inadvertently affect anyone else. The thing that struck us was that almost everyone we saw outdoors were masked even if not required. We were pretty impressed by that.

Very useful comment re poles and travelling.

Not got around to buying them yet as we've had huge floods and winds around here. We're on a slight hill so got marooned but not flooded and am thinking of buying a rubber dinghy as well as poles!
I will bear the pole/[packing in mind and hope that once we start flying again, I won't need a foldable walking stick as cabin stuff.
I hope I won't need the poles either if truth be known.

This ruddy TKR saga has ups and downs. Last week, I couldn't rotate on the gym bike until I had loosened it up on the rower and ad/abductor machines.
Today, short of time and because my stair descending prowess had made me cocky, I went on the bike first thing.
No problem.
What's that all about!

Had a half hour sports massage. I literally could have danced out of the treatment room afterwards.
Tomorrow, I'll be stiff as a board again for a while.
Weird.

@glidefloss
Just had half an hour sports massage on the knee.
From fairly stiff, I nearly waltzed out so yes, massage is wonderful although I have waited a couple of months before I 'allowed' anyone to get really 'into' the knee area.
I am slowly re building my quads and that's also helping but again. I left the leg extension machine alone for three months.
I also can identify with prolonged sitting and tightening up, Bridge being the main culprit for me.

@DeeCee
Sleep
Don't wish to alarm or depress, but it's taken me nearly four months to get any kind of decent sleep. I am now a happy bunny if I get six uninterrupted hours of sleep. Apart from half a sleeping tablet early on, I have resisted all chemical aids.
The good news will be, the night aches when I didn't know where to put my leg once in bed, went around seven weeks.

'Things' are slowly getting back to where I want them to be.

@glidefloss
Just had half an hour sports massage on the knee.
From fairly stiff, I nearly waltzed out so yes, massage is wonderful although I have waited a couple of months before I 'allowed' anyone to get really 'into' the knee area.
I am slowly re building my quads and that's also helping but again. I left the leg extension machine alone for three months.
I also can identify with prolonged sitting and tightening up, Bridge being the main culprit for me.
Hi @Scaredycat10 , I tried a sports massage once years ago (after an ultra marathon) --- and I cried uncle after less than a minute! I couldn't take the massaging pain - which all my running buddies swore was a prelude to untold relief! Good for you! :)

In my experience, the leg extension machine in conjunction with the hamstring curl machine are amazingly effective in building up the muscles front and back.

In re bridge - no one I know know how to play bridge. The younger ones haven't even heard of the game!! Many decades ago, I wrote a bridge bidder in a long since defunct computer language.

@glidefloss
Can't manage the leg curl with any degree of success due to the behind knee hamstring/popliteal issue and I don't want to aggravate the area any more than it is now.
I have been managing the seated leg press for a couple of months with ease but under my physio's close eyes, I have added the vertical leg press to the routine and can now press 60kg, which is the weight I could do prior to the op.
I have had sports massages for years and it really is a case of 'no pain/no gain' as it ruddy well hurts at times [not today as he was gentle with the new joint] but oh, so worth it.
Today was more a 'flushing the knee' exercise but then, thumbs into the popliteal area. That hurt but as I said, I could have danced out.
Bridge. ACOL or more probably, Standard American? We're not back f2f yet at the golf club so we play online at Bridge Base Online.
I play with an American friend too whom I met on a cruise. He's in Chicago, I'm in the UK.
Great fun.

I thought I might have had a popliteal cyst and it takes a professional to decide/diagnose the problem even though Dr Google can be helpful! :)

I had a massage on my actual knee joint last Saturday for the first time. Lymphatic drainage. Whilst it hasn't done any harm, it left me uncomfortable for twenty four hours and so I shall be making sure the massage is restricted to hamstring and IT band next weekl!!!

@Scaredycat10 I am checking in to see how you are doing?
Did you get another Lymphatic Drainage session?
I had a massage on my actual knee joint last Saturday for the first time. Lymphatic drainage. Whilst it hasn't done any harm, it left me uncomfortable for twenty four hours and so I shall be making sure the massage is restricted to hamstring and IT band next weekl!!!
This confuses me because MLD shouldn’t be painful, it’s a gentle modality to move swelling and to assist the lymph nodes if they are overwhelmed. The purpose of MLD is to help move edema and the resulting inflammation. A deeper massage has the potential to add inflammation- at times this can be helpful- but it’s not MLD.
Can you expand on what was done at your session?
Also, not sure it’s comforting to hear but my sister has had both knees replaced, one of her biggest complaints was the pain with her IT band, where it inserted at her knee. It took most of the first year to improve.
To help you understand how it can cause knee pain, I’ve added an illustration.
th

Would love to hear an update from you.

Expand? Not really.
I had the gentle massage but it obviously wasn't gentle. It hurt and no, I certainly didn't get another knee massage. That's off the books for now.

I had an IT and hamstring massage and it is helping, as are my exercises on the gym machines and my attempts at home. I know things are improving. Slowly.

I have had IT problems for years and know how to stretch it out. I've also had hamstring problems and again, know how to deal with it. Unfortunately, the combination of a tight IT band and Hamstring tendon has resulted in an issue which is far more problematic to deal with due to the new joint, which by the way, is great.

Believe it or not, the fact you say your sister's problem took a year to sort, is very comforting. Just as my expectations for a return to as near normal a knee I could expect, in three or four months was ridiculous, so I won't expect tendon problems to resolve as quickly as they used to before I had to take care of a new knee. :)
Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Oh, I am glad that was reassuring to you about my sister!

I’m sorry you have something that was chronic prior to the TKR. Our arthritic joints sure wreak havoc on the soft tissues that support them.
I just wonder if whomever you scheduled the massage with was truly a certified manual lymphatic therapist. Sadly, many say they are when they’re not.
I’m sorry that happened.

Oh, I am glad that was reassuring to you about my sister!

I’m sorry you have something that was chronic prior to the TKR. Our arthritic joints sure wreak havoc on the soft tissues that support them.
I just wonder if whomever you scheduled the massage with was truly a certified manual lymphatic therapist. Sadly, many say they are when they’re not.
I’m sorry that happened.
Yes, he is more than qualified. It might have been my fault for mistaking a massage for LDM.

It works on my ex broken ankle and broken foot [careless or what!!] ! We live and learn and yes, your comment about your sister was VERY reassuring. Doesn't help me one bit, physically but it sure does mentally. :)

Thought I'd do an update.

Was in the gym this afternoon with my physio. I've been a bit remiss and have had at least a month off as I've had other health issues [not mine] to contend with.

It's eight month minus three days since my op.

NO ONE could have been more scared than I, hence my 'name'.

I did my prehab; I took my painkillers to the minute; I did my rehab and boy. am I glad I have had a new knee!

My right one was the initial problem twenty years ago but over the years, the left one started taking the flack until it was the left which needed replacing.

I was on three Naproxen a day just to get get my legs working.

I can't say the right is 100% hunky dorey, but I don't need to get either leg going as such. I still need to push the car seat back to get in [left hamstring still isn't back to what it should be] and I still don't like low slung sofas, but I only take one Naproxen every other day now.

I haven't attempted a half marathon but I can walk into the village and back; stand on my feet for hours when volunteering in our church coffee shop and do all the things I used to do years ago.

To anyone contemplating the op., do your homework before and for those who have had the op...it's worth it.
lots of love to all boners

Not scared at all, Scaredycat.
x

Thank you for the reactions to my post.

I cannot emphasise enough how utterly, totally scared I was going into this. Not only was I scared of the potential pain [and I have a very high pain threshold] which didn't occur as I took my tablets when told to do so. No bravery here. Just a sensible approach. I was scared of me not being able to 'hack' the rehab. With a disabled husband [MS], I am our legs and if it all went toes up, we would be utterly snookered and so yes, beyond scared.

I wish I could be a poster person to try and allay fears. According to my physio, I did everything by the book and it worked. I realise it won't for everyone and mine was just a simple case really of a knee which didn't work properly any more, No other issues other than a defunct joint but even then, I could have soldiered on until one day it would have given way and I might have fallen and done some serious damage to myself.

I am lucky. I have private health insurance and had one of the best surgeon's in the country operating but as my physio said, at the end of the day, it was down to me and I can proudly say

I did it

and if I can, so can you. So thank you to all who were there at the end of a computer for me, especially around 3am when I couldn't sleep.
xx

As an aside

I can't remember if I mentioned this book but I found it
useful, pre and post op.

”Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation: The Knee Owner’s Manual”
by Daniel Brugioni and Jeff Falkel | 7 Feb 2005

Reactions: Jcx
Hi, @Scaredy-cat .... it’s so Good to hear from you! I am a little “hit-and-miss” these days, & I’m sure I’m missing some posts. We are in the midst of our gardening season ( YAY!), and, are having our 6 1/2 year old grandson with us 2 days & nights each week, so it gets busy! ( but Fun.... he’s a mischievous little delight).

I was a bit like you, for different reasons, and, I tend to be a bit bull-headed. I had several surgeries and an extended stay in the hospital for ulcerative colitis my freshman year in college. Some pretty rough experiences and bad memories, although I did meet some wonderful people along the way. Married several years later, we have 2 wonderful kids, and that grandson, and a happy life. A hysterectomy and abdominal tumor removed, and, resolved that I’d never have another surgery unless it was a matter of life or death.

As my knee deteriorated over the past few years, my family tried, and a physical therapist kept telling me, “ you are going to Have to have that knee replaced!”. Finally when it was to the point that I had to use a cane, & even with that, was in constant severe pain, I gave in, we saw my now wonderful surgeon, & x-rays showed a Bad bone-on-bone knee. Like you, recovery wasn’t always easy, but it’s So good to have a Much better knee. I can Walk! I can garden! The knee doesn’t constantly hurt, and, after two bad falls onto concrete ( I’m a klutz, but learning to watch for uneven surfaces), although I scraped my elbow & hand pretty badly, my new knee Shined! Never knew I had fallen!:).

Like you, I have No regrets on having this done. My surgery was 2 weeks before yours, but I had an infection in the scar, and had to have a second, cleanout surgery about 5 weeks later, so that put me back a little. But, While not a fun experience, I met some wonderful people during my hospital stay, received excellent care, and, like you, I have a wonderful surgeon and good insurance. My balance is still a bit wonky, probably partly due to my staying so busy, enjoying feeling better. I won’t say this has been Easy, but, I feel I have grown and learned a lot.
So, for anyone out there needing this surgery, & afraid to do it.... Do it, if you can! And look forward to learning, about life, about yourself, and getting to know, and learn from, other friends who have traveled this journey.

And thanks to you,@Scaredy-cat, for letting us all know how you’re doing. I always thought of you as very brave, and your posts often really inspired & encouraged me .... probably some of those at 3 am :). (that Was a novel experience for someone who normally -and thankfully, now - sleeps easily!)
My very, very best wishes to you!
Catalien

Oh my goodness

Catalien45

I'm not brave. It was necessity and the realisation 'things' could get totally out of my control if I didn't have my walking problems sorted.
As I have said before, I am, our legs although since my husband's MS has progressed, his electric micro scooter, micro so I can 'sling' it wherever its needed eg, our car trunk, and the house scooter has lessened his reliance on my walking and more my ability to be Super Muscle!
So, not only am I constantly rehabbing [even now] 'the' knee, but also making sure biceps are engaged too.

We had our first holiday in three years a month ago. A cruise on our favourite ship. With my new knee [still think of it as 'new'] and the help of the staff who know us very well and were so helpful with their assistance of my husband, it was wonderful.

Life has changed.
We will never be able to fulfil bucket list trips to the Arctic and Antarctic, but I am able to assist my husband now with no worries to my own mobility. I am thankful for what we have and again, thankful to this forum and the early hours chat when life wasn't so bright.

The car seat STILL needs to be pushed back and I dutifully have a sports massage and physio every now and then but that's me and a past injury and not the joint.

To anyone contemplating the op or is just post surgery, it's the best thing I did, health wise, in my not so young days.

I will look in every now and then and read your updates because, as you say, ignoring your 'slight' set back, we are almost 'sisters' with our dates.

Thank you again for your very kind words,
xx

Hi@Scaredycat10! I saw you post earlier, then had a hard time finding it! It has been a very busy summer for us, with garden, Farmers Market every weekend… and! Having our 7 year old grandson for 2 days/ nights every week, and, a family visit to Texas, which involved a 2 day drive down & back. It was So wonderful to see my sister & her family, and my 86 year old brother & his wife ! 3 years has just been TOO long. We’re all hoping for a family reunion next summer, including my older sister& her family from California. Avi started back to school in late August, so, a little more time now, although we do miss seeing him weekly. He is here with us for the weekend, & we’ve been busy putting up Halloween decorations, baking & decorating cookies, and, today, cupcakes. He is getting so big, so fast!

We have been working hard on staying healthy, eating well, getting plenty of rest and exercise. We’re back to walking daily a little over a mile, roughly 30 minutes. We’d kinda “ slacked off “ on that this summer, but are very faithful now, and I’m doing my leg lifts daily. My balance is pretty bad lately. Hopefully it will improve with time, & not so much going. I will be seeing my surgeon next week for my one-year check. I’m excited, and, a little anxious. I’m fortunate, he is an excellent Dr, and, very kind & compassionate. He & his staff were so very good, & encouraging when I had the infection, & they explained things, & listened to all of our questions & concerns. You are coming up on 1 year also, you’re right… we are almost “ sisters” with our dates..

Your cruise sounds wonderful. Where did you go? It sounds like you have some great folks on the ship that you know. We tend to take shorter trips, except for when we go to visit our son in Germany, & that trip pretty much is 2 weeks, but, it’s been a while. Fortunately, he generally comes to visit us 2-3 times a year, & when his girlfriend can, she comes also. They get a lot of vacation time there, & he’s often able to combine his trip with a business trip. This year, we did make the road trip to Texas, but that’s been it for us.

Well, it is Monday morning now, I’m sitting here with a purring kitty next to me. She’s happy to have our quiet household back… our grandson is pretty rambunctious at times, so she stays away, although, she did let him pet her for a good bit the other evening, purring. We’re making progress…. He Really wants to be her friend! Fortunately, he’s never been rough or aggressive, so, she’s gradually coming around.

Well, here it is, Tuesday evening, & I’m just realizing I did not finish this & post it! I was super tired yesterday, so I probably dozed off. We are getting some nice fall weather, & I see one night next week hitting 35. So we will probably pick the remaining tomatoes ( there are stil a Lot of green ones,); they will ripen indoors just fine. At that point, we’ll pull up the remaining garden, except for my broccoli plants, they are putting on new heads, and, they like cooler weather.

I Love your statement on the knee surgery, and totally agree! It has been one of the best things I ever did. I fought it for a long time, insisting I would not have another surgery unless it was “life or death”. Then, the bone-on- bone pain was so bad, and so constant, I did it, NO regrets. I’d do it again, even with the infection. A Real improvement in my quality of life.

Oh, and, PS…. I Still think you are brave…. You were one of my inspirations through those toughest days.

As my Texas sister , 80 next May, regularly says… “ life is Good,”. Have yourself a lovely evening…..

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom