Hi!
I had arthroscopic hip surgery in June and I am still in pain when I exercise. It is so disappointing. I am better than before, I can work all day, but I would love to go back to Sports.
Good luck, JGAZ!
@JohannaHi! What did you have your arthoscopy for Johanna? I had a few things going on with my hip (torn labrum, bone spurs ect). But the real problem was I had severe arthritis. I made a very big mistake by having the arthoscopy because three months later I ended up having a Total Hop Replacement. And the three months in between I was on crutches. If you have no arthritis issues I can tell you hip arthoscopy has a very long recovery period. It maybe six to eight months. Were you in Physical Therapy? This is a very important part of the recovery. Good luck to you. Let me know if you have any questions.
@Johanna@GGAZ I also had a failed arthroscopy for a torn labrum and ended up with a RTHR 6 months later as the arthritis became to bone on bone in a matter of weeks.I agree that arthroscopy can be successful in younger people who have no arthritis in the hip as it can buy them time before they need hip replacement surgery.I also remember them saying that it can take 6 months to recover from the arthroscopy so I do hope you see some improvements very soon and are able to resume your sports again
@GGAZ@Kim22
I don't have arthritis and I am 50. I had arthroscopic hip surgery due to a torn labrum, and impingement and bursitis. Yes, I did PT until now. GGAZ, I don't think you made the mistake, I think your doctor did, he/she should not have recommended arthroscopy if you had arthritis.
Thank you for the well wishes, six months sounds doable, two more to go, I think I can do it. Not sure, if I should rest more now, or exercise somewhat to keep up the strength and ROM, even if it hurts somewhat.
@Johanna That is a difficult question to answer as some would say don't do any exercise if it causes more pain.On the other hand I developed psoas tendinitis about 9 months after my first THR and once the inflammation settled down I did stretches to work on scar tissue and these caused an increase in discomfort albeit temporary The article on here warned me this would be the case and recommended pain killers for this time.I think you really need to ask the opinion of your surgeon before you decide on the best course of action for you.Wishing you luck.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.