Guest viewing is limited

THR Exercise Freak Bites the Dust..redux

Status
Not open for further replies.
And @waterman1 ...at not telling your surgeon...yikes...good plan!

There is hope for 19 once the construction is finished. We use it to get to the Clearwater Costco which is in the midst of the construction. Maybe when we get back, that section will be done!
 
I kept the Hatteras at Terra Verde Marina in St.Pete for years. Then moved to Tarpon Springs. We take 75 to 54 to avoid 19! Who cares how far out of the way that is, like I said we avoided 19 regardless of cost! Doubled spring lines are great as long as they are tied to isolated posts, and not to a wooden dock. The biggest problem with storms is high water that will float a wooden dock. We moved to Tarpon Springs to be at a marina with concrete and steel docks. The problem with captains is we all are full of advice.
 
And we appreciate it, believe me! I hate not being there in hurricane season as I hate relying on Bob...who has his hands full with his own boats. He has been at the Tierra Verde Marina too, by the way. Our condo is off the Bayway, so I know right where you were. The spring lines run from pilings to cleats on boat, one on each side and we are a 30' boat in a 40' slip, which helps. He checks lines as he can, but I have seen what tides can do even with tropical storms. There were some we were unable to get to the marina and one we did she was riding so high with water well over the finger piers, it was sort of comical. ( the infamous year of 4 hurricanes in 90 days, one of them Charley, which was predicted to hit Tampa Bay directly until she decided to make an abrupt turn and take a look at Captiva instead.). We've been so lucky recently!
 
Yes, I have mucho experience with hurricanes and boats and the tales I can tell from half my life in the Panhandle of Florida, and half my life in Central Florida. We could talk for hours on this subject I bet. How are your hips today? I still believe you should try one crutch, before you discount using one. I have a little knee pain going and I'm icing that today. My hips are doing great, so now I can focus on new pains that seem always present.
 
Sorry about the knee! What do you think kicked that off, any idea? My knee started bothering a month or so pre-surgery, and I think it's because of the accommodations I was making for my hip. My hip hurt less if I toed in with that leg, but then my knee began to hurt. Knee is fine now.

I tried crutches day 1 in hospital and walker felt more stable. Then I only had walker and cane, thus the progression. The cane is OK, actually. I just don't want to over-do anything! It seems like a pretty big jump going from toe touch weight bearing to smooth walking with cane in just two days! Sure hope PT is right about my doc encouraging this! ? I'm getting better at it, and only minimal soreness as weight is put on it..not even sore, just "different". It's just one small area low outside of thigh and soreness disappears immediately when I quit. I've probably lapped the house a dozen times today, and no swelling or pain tonight. I'm concentrating on keeping my stride the same with both feet, so walk with great concentration, watching grout lines on floor tiles to match stride. OCD much? Believe me I will back off if anything begins to feel wonky! I still spend a lot of time inbetween walks with toes over nose.

Kept on icing, and hope you knee is better!!
 
@Beachmusic Laughing at your new verb 'walkering'. Glad you are moving to cane. :walking:
@waterman1 urg on the knee. My left knee is also griping about equal time. :thud:
It bugs me on going down stairs.
 
Hey, Beachmusic how are the hips today? I double dog dare you to a walk or two...
 
Ha! You're on. :walking:

I'm doing great. On a cane full time except when I first wake up in the morning, but even before surgery, even back to when I was 18 or so, I'd probably have clung to a walker first thing out of bed if I'd had one then. College years definitely! :heehee: PT said today as we walked, "you are still leaning on that cane", so I held it over my head and walked a few steps. He might as well have done a double dog dare you! Feh.

BIG news. Last night, at 4 weeks, I SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT UNTIL THE ALARM WENT OFF! First time. WooHoo. That is a major break through.

How are you doing @waterman1? What are you doing. Behaving just a little I hope?
 
Yes, I am behaving much more so now. I am walking with a cane more and more each day. My anterior scar is a little irritated and red looking, so I am whining about it now. Same here with PT and cane. I am signing up for outpatient PT and will try a visit or two with them next. My first hip never had much PT due to the 'other hip' becoming so sore that I couldn't do much more than complain everyday until the second surgery. It is fine today, so just how much is PT needed I wonder? Thanks for listening!
 
Oh, I missed that you had changed from crutch to cane. I would think you'd like it better...or at least it's less unwieldy?

What is going on with your incision? Had it ever calmed down or was it always looking on the border of being angry? How was yours closed? Are you putting anything on it? That is one thing I'd be on top of immediately if I had any concerns, having read some of the tales of infections here! If you are worried, even a little, I hope you will have it looked at. Initially I wasn't too happy with mine. I took pictures of it with my phone daily so I could compare progress from one day to the other, and was using that antibiotic soap on it in the shower. Figured it couldn't hurt. In short, it was just me being too careful.

I'm going to ask about outpatient PT when i see the OS Tuesday, my 5 week visit. I need to start making lists of things to ask! Coumadin, TEDs, driving, how much walking is OK, and on and on. You should be seeing yours pretty soon as well, yes?
 
Mark Cuban Is Depressing Me!

I was feeling sort of down last night because my progress seems stalled. Then this morning there is video of Mark Cuban walking 24 hrs after his total hip replacement! What the heck kind of surgery did he have that that is possible?

Instant blue funk!
 
Wow! ok , so Mark Cuban got his first hip replacement at 49, and his second one at 55.
I think he was a bit premature to not use his walker for support, but I guess that's Mark!
 
I should gave put the link in too, sorry. https://bustedcoverage.com/2014/07/24/mark-cuban-walking-24-hours-after-total-hip-replacement/

That's pretty incredible. He was on Dancing With the Stars 2 months after his first one. I have never watched, but assume he did OK. I think you are right Claire, that is part of his composition I suspect. I read a little more about his Dallas doctor. He does computer assisted hip replacements. You need a program to keep up with advances!
 
5 week check-up with OS yesterday and lots of positive changes!

The highlight of my day: NO MORE TEDs! WooHoo!! That's a biggie.

No more coumadin.

I can drive! (Am sure my husband is happy for that).

Ditch the cane ASAP. I had been feeling the past couple of days I was walking without much pressure on the cane much of the time, and for a period yesterday was walking around the house without it. I revert back when I'm tired or first get up, but this is real progress.

I asked about getting back to the gym, using the elliptical and or bike and he was fine with that, but would prefer I swim. Wrote a script for twice a week for 4 weeks water aerobics/therapy at a rehab place.

Still have the 90° restrictions, and he could not answer for how much longer. He did show me a way I could bring my operated leg up to at least get to my toenails, but I don't have the flexibility yet, and I'm not sure I'd dare do it if I did. When pulling the leg up, knee bent, you have to keep the knee outside of the plane of your body...ie, outside that shoulder, and with a model hip, showed the motion and how if within the plane it can easily slip out of the socket, but the movement outside the plane keeps it deeply within the socket. I haven't been able to rotate that leg outwards for so long, that range of movement still needs work and even so...I'm a bit wary of attempting that.

I got a better look at my X-rays and was surprised to see a screw holding the cup in place in the socket. When I asked about it, he made it sound as if this is just the way he prefers to do his surgery.

He begins dictating his notes immediately upon leaving the room and I heard him say something about slight (minimal?) leg length discrepancy. Actually, I've been sensing that the operated leg was just a bit longer, but wasn't sure if it was my imagination. So now I wonder about that, and can it still resolve itself?? I have another appt in 3 weeks, and that will be my first question!

All in all it was a good visit and I really am beginning to see a little light at the end of the tunnel! :)
 
@Beachmusic, I have a screw holding the cup in place because I had an uncemented hip replacement. With no cement a screw is needed to keep the cup in place until the bone grows into the cup to hold it.
 
@Beachmusic, great report! I don't think you could hope for more at such an early stage. The few things that you see as limitations will turn into another milestone to reach! Good job. I'll just be happy when I can shower and wash my hair!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@bottomshollow that makes sense when I think about it...two parts , both capable of slight movement, at least initially, wouldn't work would it?

@beachgal and those first steps are wonderful! Ah, the first shower!!! I didn't want to get out, it felt so good.
I took to washing my hair in the kitchen sink at first. If you have one of the high faucets, it is the easiest way to accomplish a hair wash. I hope you are still doing well? You went in so prepared, and with such a positive attitude, it'll make things easier for you now, and the nice part of the early stages are all the smaller milestones you can get under your belt, and then know you are moving forward, steadily, bit by bit.
 
Reporting back, OS visit Tuesday at 9 weeks out.

I can honestly say, time has flown! Why was I so impatient early on? It all happens in good time, and looking back, it happened quickly and easily, though I wouldn't have agreed with that comment 8 weeks ago. LOL. I wanted to be off that walker, weight bearing, champing at the bit to move it, back to Body Pump. Well, surgeon had other ideas, and guess who won? I am an obedient patient. I was in good hands and had to trust them.

I lost the cane for good about 2 weeks ago. My husband and I began walking our neighborhood , a mile, then two, then three. With the cane initially, then short periods just carrying it, walking very carefully with eyes on the road as it's all hills and I dreaded stepping on one of the many loose rocks on the downhill slope and going flying. We walked pretty slowly, my husband being an angel and not saying boo about my speed. Then I walked just carrying it, (a crutch so to speak) and am completely without it now, plus our pace has picked up considerably. We are back to 5 miles every day, but slow still as it takes about 1 hr 20 min to get it done. It might be faster if the heat weren't so gawd awful, and we didn't meet so many neighbors along the way. :)

Surgeon is happy with my progress. Toward the end of the visit he said (what I thought, anyway) that he was now going to "test my metal" as I got off the examining table and walked to the chair. He demonstrated putting heel of operated leg on the knee of good leg, keeping my knee outside my shoulder, and letting that knee drop down to the side, to "open up the capsule". Hold position to stretch the ligaments. He said he wanted me to be able to put leg in that position, then fiddle around with the top of my foot. I've been doing it for two days now, while watching TV or playing on the internet, (really lady-like LOL) and lo and behold, this morning I was able to do that, put on my sock, then running shoe and tie it. WooHoo...first time in 9 weeks! Then this PM I clipped those toenails. My husband must feel like a free man again and boy did that little bit of added independence make me happy! I realize now he meant "I'm going to test your mettle" not medal. I'll have to remember to tell him that next time.

I am back at the gym, but not yet Body Pump--maybe next week. I did not take advantage of the water therapy script as I had a dermatology appt a few days later, then needed to keep biopsy and stitches dry. Now stitches are out but I have Mohs surgery in two weeks. Squamous cell on my hand, very early and no big deal, but there is little point now with the aqua therapy.

Still have 90° restrictions and I've only got one more OS visit before we leave for St Pete for 6 months. I'm really going to have to address that with him, as those restrictions will keep me from kayaking and I dearly love it. There is no way to get out of it without breaking that restriction.

Oh yes! I've been released to sleep on my stomach but guess what? I don't even want to now. Unbelievably, as much as I hated sleeping on my back, couldn't go to sleep at first, and when I did, waking up at 2 or 3 AM and having to get up to relieve back tension, it's now my preferred position. I never in the wide world dreamed that would happen!

LLD seems to be fading too...in fact I forgot to ask him about it, so it's pretty insignificant, and some days I feel it no longer exists.

Overall this hasn't been a half bad experience! Hope you all are having equally smooth recoveries! For those that are just starting out, this time really does fly by, you'll see in retrospect, tho you might not feel that way now--I never would have said that initially. I'm better than I have been in years, walking around with no pain, looking forward now to hikes in Zion or Arches Nat'l Parks. Or the Grand Canyon..to the bottom on foot. Got my life back and am one very happy camper! :)
 
@Beachmusic, at nine weeks, I only hope my update reads like yours!! So happy for you. So glad you posted an update. Gives me a benchmark to work toward. Enjoy St Pete and hope you get to kayak!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom