THR Exercise Freak Bites the Dust..redux

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's terrific about your daughter psychteach, and with Marriott's size, the sky is the limit. It's a FUN career for all the family! Yes, great benefits. DH was with Sonesta until our kids were ready to start school and we had to get out of New Orleans, then spent 30 years with Hyatt. He had the Grand Hyatt in Tampa and they had interns from your daughter's school. It is very highly regarded! Re the bike...the seat doesn't bother you? Can't quite imagine it at this point but what great exercise. There is hope, thanks!

LOL waterman! I know, War and Peace! Sorry! I was skeered too, terribly, but didn't wait as long as you ( yours was one of my middle if the night reads). It is all fascinating, but I'm glad for you that you are finished! Hopefully another shoe will never drop here, as it'd send me into the same fear tailspin, even tho this one has gone so well.

I tried to watch a youtube video on the surgery last night but didn't make it very far. Glub! Maybe later...
 
@waterman1 I know you are going to hate me by saying this and I annoy others but I was really blessed as I had no pain except first day for a couple of hours after surgery. I iced for two weeks straight and started on bike ( stationary ) at 2 weeks. I have had some soreness in the incision and some tenderness in nerves under, but no pain when moving. I think I am very lucky. But I really did ice constantly at beginning , had one or two days of swelling , no bruising.

@Beachmusic yes I am thinking my daughter is lucky. She got a job interning with Marriott while in school and when she graduated she interviewed with ritz and was hired right away. She is very passionate, hardworking and smart. She will do great! The benefits are great! We are traveling at end of month and staying at three different ritz 's for 100.00 a night( regularly 700.00 a night!) . Glad to hear how well your husband did in the field. It is an exciting one. The seat on bike did not bother me. I started riding at 2 weeks.. 5 minutes a day. Now riding a half hour a day about 7 miles. I feel it has made my muscles come back in my legs and helped make my recovery quicker. Before the surgery I was so upset as I could not even turn the pedal with my left hip. I had a range of motion of 40! Now it is 110.. And getting better every day. You will get back to all your exercise and Zumba!!!


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Yes, Psychteach I followed your instructions about icing and it made a BIG difference with the second hip, and of course the anterior (hush your mouth) surgery. Hey, I posted on your thread just now...
 
Hey Beachmusic, I was a lurker like you for a very long time. Doesn't it feel good to connect and bond over titanium! We all have these gizmo(s) in us, and communication does make it seem less daunting to me. Thanks for listening and reading my whining, rants, and confusion.
 
Wow @Beachmusic I am still too scared to watch a 'real' surgery video, because I am likely
to need the other hip done. I am sure I would freak.
 
@Beachmusic , very glad to read your account and see that you had such a good experience. I have to admit that the way you wrote, I kept expecting something awful to happen!! :unsure: But glad all turned out well.

I too am a bit of an exercise "freak". I was running regularly before this hip derailed me, but I still spend about 4 nights a week at my gym, doing weights, core, and long stationary cycle rides, (about 50 miles a week), in addition to 30 min of intense cardio at lunch every day (we have an employee gym across the street). This has been my normal routine for many many years, and although I am NOT looking forward to sitting on the sofa for 2 weeks, I am looking forward to living without this pain!!! I understand the frustration of being derailed from exercise, and I hope you are back at it soon! :)
 
@Beachmusic, @Chessie, @psychteach, @waterman1, I can assure you all that when I get home from my surgery, I intend to rest, take needed pain meds, ice, and elevate, 24/7, except when I'm doing my PT. I have run myself ragged to get everything ready so there won't be anything to derail my recovery. I've got my Kindle loaded, three boxes of photos from past trips to organize, Christmas card envelopes to address, and a few other mundane chores that I can do seated. It won't be a vacay by anyone's measure but it will be "ME" time. Bring on the boredom.
:bored:
 
Being crazy busy all the time I really enjoyed the 2 weeks or so of boredom after surgery. I always have to be somewhere , or do something.. It was really nice to have a reason to do nothing!


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
You all, when you write "@beachmusic" (for instance, but whomever) and it looks like a link, are you actually tagging that person? I can't figure out how to do that?? I've done a lot of BBs before but this one has tons more options, and that one I don't get.

Psychteach...employee rates are the best, and yours, $100/700, is outstanding. As she moves on up the line, the stays become free, even. In retirement we are back to employee rates unless we know the GM. Still pretty darned nice, but paying hurts. Haha. Two of DHs hotels had live-in arrangements for the GM's family, and once the kids were in college, we did that--Savannah and Tampa. It took me about 5 minutes to realize how fantastic that was...the first time I forgot to take something out for dinner and we called room service. Yes!! And none of it cost. Best tho, the job is never a boring one. Back to hips, LOL, I'm going go to Golds and try their stationary bike after I have put more weight on this next week. I cannot be sitting around for weeks and weeks or nothing will fit. :(. Oh...I've had no pain either and hate saying much too as it is rare, and I'd hate for someone to go into their surgery thinking it might be. Much better to be happily surprised. One of my St Pete friends has had the same experience, and like you she had direct anterior approach.

Waterman, thank you for being so supportive for everyone! You are terrific and it's really really nice to get feedback! I've loved reading everyone's story, and in reading psychteach's today, I saw you mention you were changing doctors in Tampa so you could get the anterior approach. ( actually, I've read yours too and thought you had gone to Watson Clinic...is that it? My husband used to drive all the way over there for his executive physicals and he just can't say enough good about that place). Anyway, if it was Tampa, who did it? We live in Tampa Bay area 6 mos of the year and I'd sort of debated doing my hip there. My husband and I have both used docs from Florida Orthpedic in Tampa for niggly sports injuries in the past, and they are all good. I hope never to have another, but if I do, I'm going to be better prepared. I know psychteach says she was freaked out before, but psychteach I may have had you beat. :). I was awful. Now I regret not having done the forums beforehand.

Re the videos, MajorHeidi, I love the medical field, my grandfather was a doctor, and I thought I might like to be one too, until I flunked organic. LOL. So much for that, but the video made me queasy. Maybe another time...or not!

Chessie, I think I kept expecting something bad to happen too, but it did not. It was all good. All WAY better than expected, even. I'm with you about worrying about what sitting around will do! I'm getting on the scale daily and so far so good, but I'm not sure how long that will hold up. I tell myself, and you must too, that this is temporary then we can get back to it and make up for lost time. We belong to Golds here, and a phenomenal Y, better than any golds I've ever seen, in St Pete. That place has an Olympic sized walk in pool, climbing wall, yoga, Zumba, Body Combat, Body Pump, ALL day long! It's by far the best gym I've belonged to in many years of being a gym rat. I know I'm 71..LOL...my PCP told me I neither look nor act my age, which I took as a compliment. :). And it was an ego boost when one of the nurses stopped by my room and said they'd been talking about me at the nursing station and she should go see the 71 year old in room xxx. That was nice. I am not spring chick looking believe me. We lived in FL full time for 9 years and I spent practically all that time on the water...and my skin shows it. Badly. Anyway, exercise stands you in good stead, I sincerely believe. I had long ago learned to make accommodations for my bad leg, so had a ready made work around for at least some of my 90° restrictions. There is no issue with sticking my bad leg out behind me and bending over standing on my good leg to pick things up off the floor, as I was already doing it. I hope this doesn't sound boastful as I don't mean to be that way...but I think your workouts give you a leg up here. I was down to just a Body Pump and walking, but walking was fewer and fewer days, and fewer and fewer miles. Anyway, keep it up! You'll do great and get the nursing station gossiping too. :)

Beachgal,those are great projects...killing time doing something you sort have to force yourself to do, but so worthwhile!! Good for you. It won't be long now, and you'll be on your way too. I'll be watching for you! Hope you make it to the coast. I marvel at how that area has changed over the years as we make our way back and forth to/from St Pete in Nov and May. My husband grew up not far north, in Columbia. He says his area referred to that as almost sin city ( this was ages ago) which of course, made him love it all the more. :) By the way, our first trip to Paris was at Christmas, and it's just amazingly beautiful, with all the trees along the Champs Élysées decorated with little sparkle lights, decorated trees in the rondes, and in front of Notre Dame. Tho not Catholic, we went to Christmas Eve mass at Notre Dame and walking across the square in front of it to the cathedral, it's big bells tolling, walking amidst throngs of others was such a moving experience I could not have uttered a word without crying. I love that city! Our daughter, SIL, and 8 yr old grandson arrived there this morning, their first trip and I couldn't be more excited for them! I so hope you make that goal!

War and Piece Part 2! My apologies, guys. :(. And I still haven't told you about my day! Just briefly, got to take the final bandage off today and take a Saran Wrap free shower!! Heaven! Scar looks pretty decent, but having read others tales of infection, I cannot help but be apprehensive. It does look fine I think..and surgeon thought it did Tuesday too. None-the-less, worrywart took some photos with my phone and last thing in the shower, washed that area with Hibiclens. Am I overdoing it? I hate to put clothes on top of it. My current outfit is white camisole, white undies, and my one remaining white TED hose. My husband commented that at least I'm color coordinated, lol. Ok. I'm finished, promise. Honestly I'm sort of a quiet person, believe it or not!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Beachmusic, yes....when you want to tag someone, you simply type @ followed immediately by the user name. No spaces. No extra punctuation. It creates a live link that notifies the person that you want them to see the post.

Maybe you used to be a quiet person. Maybe you won't be quite so quiet anymore. Kind of fun to be the poster girl for positive aging among the nurses. :)

Sharon
 
You are doing great!
Love your posts...


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Being crazy busy all the time I really enjoyed the 2 weeks or so of boredom after surgery. I always have to be somewhere , or do something.. It was really nice to have a reason to do nothing!


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014

Well you have a good point there. I have a very hectic pace most days, so it will probably be a good mental break for me to chill for a while. :bored:
 
I tell myself, and you must too, that this is temporary then we can get back to it and make up for lost time. We belong to Golds here, and a phenomenal Y, better than any golds I've ever seen, in St Pete. That place has an Olympic sized walk in pool, climbing wall, yoga, Zumba, Body Combat, Body Pump, ALL day long! It's by far the best gym I've belonged to in many years of being a gym rat. I know I'm 71..LOL...my PCP told me I neither look nor act my age, which I took as a compliment. :). And it was an ego boost when one of the nurses stopped by my room and said they'd been talking about me at the nursing station and she should go see the 71 year old in room xxx. That was nice. I am not spring chick looking believe me. We lived in FL full time for 9 years and I spent practically all that time on the water...and my skin shows it. Badly. Anyway, exercise stands you in good stead, I sincerely believe. I had long ago learned to make accommodations for my bad leg, so had a ready made work around for at least some of my 90° restrictions. There is no issue with sticking my bad leg out behind me and bending over standing on my good leg to pick things up off the floor, as I was already doing it. I hope this doesn't sound boastful as I don't mean to be that way...but I think your workouts give you a leg up here. I was down to just a Body Pump and walking, but walking was fewer and fewer days, and fewer and fewer miles. Anyway, keep it up! You'll do great and get the nursing station gossiping too. :)

I agree. :yes: My regular primary care doc told me 2 years ago (we both knew I was headed for a LTHR sometime in the future - I just didn't think it would be this soon!) strongly encouraged me to stay with my workouts....especially my legwork. She said it would make a huge difference both in handling my failing hip, and my recovery when I finally did get the surgery. So I have never felt bad about continuing my normal routine, although I certainly have had to adjust or stop a few things, as you did. For the most part though, I feel good with what I am doing. My gym was also Golds, but a couple of years ago the local franchisee decided to leave Golds so we have a different name now, and I think they try to make it more "family friendly", although I always thought Golds did a good job of that. There are 6 in this area, and a new one getting ready to open. Yep we have rock walls, olympic pools, and more Body Pump/Zumba/whatever classes than you could shake a stick at. :) I don't do classes as I just don't have the time - but I did do a kettlebell class once, when the started becoming so popular, and I thought I would DIE. :snork: I now have my own kettlebell at home. It is a great workout, to be sure.

By the way, our first trip to Paris was at Christmas, and it's just amazingly beautiful, with all the trees along the Champs Élysées decorated with little sparkle lights, decorated trees in the rondes, and in front of Notre Dame. Tho not Catholic, we went to Christmas Eve mass at Notre Dame and walking across the square in front of it to the cathedral, it's big bells tolling, walking amidst throngs of others was such a moving experience I could not have uttered a word without crying. I love that city!

LOVE Paris. Took my son and nephew there in 2008 and have wanted to go back ever since.
 
@Beachmusic, if we get to Paris by year's end, it will be our 6th visit. This one will be extra-special since I'll be sashaying down the avenues with zero pain and no limp!! We have a favorite apartment there we usually lease for a couple of weeks and combine it with another week in a different region of France.

I minored in French in college and love to practice my very-limited language skills there but, frankly, the French would rather try out their English on us! They also adore my Sourhern drawl which is baffling.

FYI , Le Tour de France is entering Stage. 7 this morning and being broadcast on NBCSN live. It's a great way to see the beautiful countryside of France.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey Beachmusic, we have a great deal in common and to answer your posts I may be writing at length, also. First of all I guess you found my quest for another surgeon in the back pages. My first surgeon was Dr. Volpe from the Watson Clinic. Great place, great surgeon, but he was not experienced in BHR and never mentioned anterior approach. When I learned I needed a second hip was when I made the decision to seek a BHR for hip 2. Why? The greatly reduced risk of dislocation mostly. With two implants, I really wanted that in at least one hip if I could have it. Research online, and I came upon Dr. Raterman in the Florida Ortho Clinic in Zephyrhills. He has over 1800 BHR experience, and persons are flying in from all over the country to get to him. He has a great deal of experience in both BHR and THR, and offered anterior approach. So, I left it up to him and when he opened me up, he found the femur healthy enough for a BHR. :)

You mention St. Pete where you keep a boat. I was captain of a Hatteras in St.Pete for many years, we may know each other, ha what a small world. I am headed to my buds 46' Hatteras today, kept in Tarpon Springs. I remain a USCG Captain, of which you can tell I take some pride. Have a great weekend!
 
@sharonslp Ah! So easy, thank you!! Why didn't I at least try that?

Thank you @MajorHeidi! You are so great at encouraging us all, and it is appreciated!!

@Chessie (heh heh...I'm getting good at this tagging, eh? I like how it even helps you get the name right with that pop-up list of suggestions). It's a good thing your gym went independent! I've always felt their thrust was body building, and the classes were something they had to have to keep people coming, but mine does the bare minimum. We went the opposite direction, starting out as an independent then bought out by Golds. It's only been about 3 years, but we all can see the difference already in cleanliness, and classes offered. Classes have always been my thing, and especially as we were transferred frequently, it was a way of making almost instant friendships. I've never done kettle bell, but my next door neighbor who goes to a different gym has, and says its a killer workout! Paris is awaiting you and your new hip! "Chessie...coooome baaaack". Hear that? :)

@beachgal that's great! You have me beat by two trips. Which arrondissement? My daughter and family are in the Marais on this stay. Nice location, and an apartment. With the corporate bennies, we were always at Hyatts, the last one the Park Hyatt Vendome, which I worried might be stuffy, but was fantastic and anything but that! The entire trip was Hyatt's retirement gift to my husband, air, hotel and food for 10 days. We took another few days and took the train to Annecy at the base of the French Alps...just gorgeous, but because it was pretty, a bit touristy too, tho it calmed down once the weekend was past, happily. My French (5 years but 3 high school and 2 college and eons ago) is marginal at best, spoken, tho I can read more. I had to laugh...I mustered my best French to ask where the bathroom was when we were in a cafe, and the bartender answered me in perfect barely accented English. Am I really that bad? LOL. Our goal to finally travel when and as long as we want now in retirement, was a big part of the motivation to do this now, while we still could. Just less than two years ago we walked the city morning to night with the only possible issue climbing out of the deeper Metros. When it started going downhill, it did it fast! You will love your new freedom, and no limp will be special! I've been horrified to see how I walk when I'd catch a glimpse of myself in a full length store mirror as I shopped. I wasn't aware how badly I was limping until people started asking if I'd hurt myself. :(. So yes...Paris on foot with no visible impairment. What more can you ask for!! Yay. Go for it!

I've just returned from a stroll down our street. I go further each day, and as we live on a hill, there is some challenge. Today went halfway down the hill and turned around then because I wasn't sure how uphill would be. It's pretty steep, so did throw the walker at a different angle, higher than walking on level ground, but it was OK. All along the way, neighbors come visit as everyone else gets out early here before the heat really sets in, so it's a nice social outting as well as a workout.
 
@waterman1 I was out walking a did not see your reply until after I posted mine above. Yes, we do have a lot in common. You have much to be proud of Captain! I am impressed, knowing the hoops they make you jump through! I didn't know the acronym, BHR, so just looked it up. I think my age might be a factor there, but if there is another in my future, I would want the less invasive and restrictive anterior approach, for the same reasons you chose BHR. Hopefully it will never come to that, but 4 years ago I was told I had OA in both hips, yet one has never given me even a twinge so I dunno about that. Knocking wood hard!! We live in a condo when we are in St a Pete...it sits directly on Boca Ciega Bay, which I'm sure you are familiar with. Anyway...I have lots of contacts there, needless to say, with people who have used various St Pete doctors, with varying results. I'm not too thrilled with any of the St Pete hospitals tho, with the exception of Morton Plant in a Clearwater, which is a pain in the neck drive up US 19. (We are about as far as you can go south in St Pete without falling into Tampa Bay.)

The boat is actually in the Gulfport City Marina, but most people don't know Gulfport so I don't bother to be that specific. It's a cool little marina, VERY well protected in hurricanes/tropical storms, and easy walking distance (now that I'm fixed) to funky little downtown Gulfport. That is OLD Florida still, and I doubt will ever change! Where was your boat? Our best boating buddy is also a USCG Captain, born and raised in St Pete, and he also has a Hatteras...a 53’ used for charters. We met him when his boat was docked behind my husband's hotel in Tampa, and he ran charters from our dock. (Tampa Bay). It was he who got us into sailing, starting with a Force 5, then a 23’ Irwin in partnership with him, then branched out on our own with a Bristol 29.9. Bob DeMoss...you might know him, considering you two had the same boats and all. The boating world can be a tight little circle. He has been so kind to us, and such a patient teacher from sailing skills to boat maintenance. (that is a pain in the booty, coming to the sport late, as we did). We leave it for the summer with the jib off, the main all tied up with line, 2 spring lines and 4 bow and 4 stern lines, and hope for the best. The Bimini is up to deter pelicans etc from using it as their private potty, and Bob kindly gets it down for us, and puts even more fenders out if something heads in our direction. We are totally indebted to him!! Love the sport and wish we'd started earlier! You have a great weekend out on the water! Do you remember a few years back when national news picked up video of jet skiers off of Tarpon Springs, and they were totally surrounded by sharks, visible in the clear water from the air. People were calling them idiots, but in fact, they had no idea the sharks were there and eventually apologies were issued all around. Yikes. Our first over night on our boat happened days after some poor soul jumped off his dock in St Pete Beach into Boca Ciega Bay as he had done every day for years, and was immediately chomped on and killed by a bull shark. I have never swum from our boat! :heehee: I'm picturing you on that beautiful water now. Lucky!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Beachmusic, we usually stay in the 7th now as we prefer the more residential areas nearby. We're still close enough to walk those lovely streets but without the crowds and loud nightlife that the 5th & 6th bring. We've really used the rail system in Europe extensively and it's quite easy to navigate around France on a whim. I think our favorite place, aside from Paris, would be Villefrance sur Mer on the coast near Nice but, frankly, everywhere we've been there has been lovely. Italy is a close "2nd" on our list, and an easy rail system there, too. We've trained from Rome through Florence and the Tuscan hills to Venice several times. Even at three weeks, it's never enough time....ahhh....I'm SO ready to go back! We had to cancel a Paris vacation at the end of August for my surgery hence the tickets waiting to rebook!
 
@beachgal a lovely area! I have a friend who has rented there and loved it! Aside from the obvious, I don't know it that well, but it looks genteel...and expensive ! LOL. Our next stay will be an apartment somewhere as even the employee rate at the Park Hyatt is astronomical. You know, we have never been to Italy. Hit Engand, Wales, then Paris and I love that so much I couldn't stand the thought of elsewhere. DH is hellbent on a river cruise next. We've never cruised anywhere, it just isn't our touring style, but a small boat on a river might be OK. We love the SNCF. I wanted to make my cell phone ring tone that little bong bong bong bong musical notes they use before announcements, recorded it as we rode, but the quality wasn't good and I couldn't figure out how to convert it to a ringtone anyway.

A friend posted the cutest hip replacement cartoon on my Facebook page. I'd love to just paste it here, but see it is copyrighted. If you would care to see it, it is 9th cartoon in this link. https://www.thecomicstrips.com/subject/The-Horse-Comic-Strips-by-Speed Bump.php. It gave me a chuckle. Happily, that is not a problem I've read about here...yet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom