THR Exercise Freak Bites the Dust..redux

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Beachmusic, cute, cute, cute cartoon! That would be my luck....ha!

We have friends who cruise the rivers of Germany, France, etc. and love it. We've never done that type of cruise but can see how it would be an easy, relaxed way to see the sights. There is also a Christmas Cruise through the market towns in Germany that folks love.

With your fancy, new hip, you'll be ready to take Europe by storm! Maybe our paths will cross overseas!
 
@beachgal with our new hips, the sky is the limit! I love Zion Nat'l park and could hike it again and again! Have been to the Grand Canyon 3 times, but with time constraints, made it to the first way station once, Indian Gardens once, and Plateau Point once. What's stopping us from going to Phantom Ranch and back...on foot of course. It's great to know these things are once again in the realm of doable, isn't it!! Hurry on over to this side and dream along. Heck...why not the Camino de Santiago de Compostela?! Why not? (After Paris of course :) )
 
@Beachmusic I bet that Bristol is a beauty.
We had a J24, but it was mostly for racing, if you can call what we did, that. Ha.
Now we have a SeaRay, though a 26' for the lake where we live. Its fun. But, I still
haven't been down all the stairs yet since the surgery to get to it.
That should be my goal!
 
@MajorHeidi , ah...you've crossed over to the dark side! :). JK, and SeaRays are nice...but gosh, J boats are really nice! ;) you know I'm teasing. Maintenance on our wood can be a serious headache in FL sun, but we too have gone to the dark side, giving up our insistence on real deal varnish, and this year went to Cetol. Never thought I'd see the day, but they have improved it from that ghastly orange of yester year, and it looks pretty good, I must admit.

And it's not just all the stairs you have to deal with! Once there you have to get from dock to boat, and back. I'd reached a point where if the tide was too high or low, I couldn't make the leap, and I wonder how that will be now....I thought of @waterman1 today getting on his friend's Hatteras and wondered how it went. Ugh. It's a little early to be stretching between dock and boat, but maybe he has it down pat.
 
Hey Beachmusic, yes I am doing very well, and thanks to the tide being just right, and the gunnels wide, a step aboard was easy. Moved from Tarpon Springs northward to the farm, and rode my ATV a short distance to round up some cattle. Came home nice and sore all over from doing way more than any hippie should at this point in time.
 
I'll update a little here. Happily, I truly am adjusting to back sleeping! Yay! Never thought I'd see the day. Still get up once during the night, but it's getting later and later...this morning made it to 4AM, up an hour, then back to sleep until 8:30.
 
Hey Beachmusic, I learned to sleep on my back about 90 days ago after surgery no. 1, so I am sleeping a little better than you each night probably. I am still on one crutch. I am not sure what the 'full weight' restriction is about but each surgeon seems to have their own agenda after the hospital it seems. You are pretty much pain free so when do you ditch the walker? I am able to slide right into the driver's seat now and drive, so I am taking big risks. I am cheating a little using my left foot to brake. I got really good doing so before surgery because my right leg hurt too bad to apply the brakes, that's bad isn't it? Seems silly and way in the past now. Family took my keys and locked me in the house so I'm stuck now... Just kidding :)
 
@Beachmusic, what an entertaining and encouraging report. I'm happy to hear you're doing so well. So many of the people here are so much younger than I that I am somewhat apprehensive about havng THR at my age. I am blessed that the pain started later in life, four years ago. I'm having LTHR on September 17. I am thrilled to have found bonesmart. I've learned a lot here that is helping me prepare mentally and emotionally. Whenever I think of Paris I have to smile because I love it so much. You brightened my day. I like to stay in the sixth, but stayed in the 5th the first time. I usually travel with my sister or daughter and like to stay in areas that are lively at night. I was hoping to get to Europe this October, but the surgery came up. Maybe October 2015. Please keep posting, it's helpful to know that one can have a positive recovery and outcome. I appreciate all the kind people who take the time to post here. God bless! Gladys
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Gads. Posted too soon...intended to make a new paragraph, not post.

Ok. Yesterday I decided to do a little more than toe touch weight bearing, rationalizing that by thinking it made more sense to gradually approach full weight bearing. So I did half weight, but being Miss Get It All Right at Once, I also decided to try and lengthen my stride too. I've been limping for so long, and that limp is caused by a greatly shortened stride on my bad side. So I walkered (hehheh, new verb) around the house with more weight and longer stride, which resulted in a bit of a sore Achilles' tendon, a tendon that has probably shortened some because of my limp, and needed proper stretching before I went through stride lengthening! If I'd stopped and thought two seconds before just doing, I would have thought that out and done a little static stretching beforehand. Needless to say, I totally backed off that today. Tomorrow my PT comes and I will be properly warmed up beforehand.

I had a bit of a down night Saturday. Got up from watching the evening news, and felt a little discomfort behind my knee. Reached back there, and there was swelling there sufficient to cup my hand around. That freaked me out. I've had swelling daily, from nothing in the morning to a fat piggy looking foot by evening, and this was even more so than usual, and I've never felt it behind my knee before like that. Of course these things happen on a Saturday evening when everything is closed! I had taken a long hot shower earlier in the afternoon, and the warmth will open blood vessels exacerbating any tendency to swell. I'd also spent almost the entire day up in a chair. Bach to bed I went, leg up on pillow stacks, and ice. Of course I read all I could about DVT symptoms, and decided that although I had pretty diffuse swelling, it was painless, so probably just fine. Ha! That did not stop me from worrying none-the-less. We have a brand new ER only mini hospital near us that gets rave reviews, and had I had pain, I'd have had it checked out. It was also reassuring to read here and see just how many others also have issues with swelling.

I've turned my habits around. No more up in a chair all day except sleeping which had been suggested by PT. I spent almost all day on my back, pillow stack and ice my friends. Not only did the swelling decrease, it was the least I've had any day since getting out of the hospital. No more piggy feet! Listen to your body, not your PT! :). His advice was not right for me. I did do a lap around the house about every 45-60 min, and kept those muscles active, so they could assist moving blood.

I did get a mini lecture from the home health nurse when I told her about the episode. "You shouldn't be trying to diagnose yourself. That is too serious to mess with", and she is right. I HATE calling Drs outside hours! Don't know if I said this before, but my grandfather was a doctor, and Mom grew up in a home with Dad called away from family at all hours too often. Consequently, it had to be pretty darned serious, almost a bleed out, if, when we were growing up, a doctor was ever called outside 9-5! So I got a lecture, but a nice one.

That about brings you up to snuff on what's going on here. Tomorrow I look forward to PT progress. I have only one more visit and have asked him to give me a little time to practice what I learn tomorrow, so I'll have just Wednesday to work on that. He wants to get me cane walking which seems crazy considering the extent of the restrictions I've had to work under. We'll see! Ie, my body WILL be the judge of that!
 
@waterman1 my surgeon is just extraordinarily conservative. He's been at it a long time and trusts his approach to all this, but I certainly wasn't expecting this level of restrictions and wish I'd even thought to ask going in! I assumed I'd be like my direct anterior friends. Bad assumption. As I can be weight bearing today (I'm here at my normal 2 AM wake-up call), PT wants to focus on using a cane as of today, then I have only one more PT session and I'm done. He was going to come Wednesday, but I pushed it back to Thursday. I'd like at least one day to work on my "new skills" before my last session. I'm a little unhappy with the PT schedule...why come 2 or 3 times a week, doing the same old same old each time because of my restrictions, when I could have been doing those very same exercises on my own, and was, then leave when I'm finally able to move on. Again, 20/20 hindsight! Cannot imagine you driving already, especially if you reach Tarpon Springs via the hellacious US 19!! And are you serious about the ATV? I double dog dare you to tell your surgeon that!! :). Glad you are home safe and sound!! Driving for me is still down the road....stay well! Are you paying for your activity levels at all with increased pain?
 
@gladfon , welcome! Isn't this a great place? There is a wealth of information here, and you are smart to be getting involved pre-surgery, rather than post as I did. I was too freaked out going in, and preferred turning a blind eye. Reading here more prior, I think I would have handled things differently, being more insistent on finding someone who did direct anterior approach instead anterolateral I had. I can hardly believe the things my FL condo buddy was doing right out of the box! I see you are in FL too. Where will your surgery be? (Well I'm not in FL now...but my mind is always) You sound like a healthy and vibrant 76 year old ( anxious to stay where the nightlife is active). That will stand you in good stead as you progress through the surgery and recovery. Mine has certainly been remarkably easy thus far!

You stay in some of our favorite areas...I love the market on Rue Moufftard, and the little streets around St Germaine de Pres!! The city energizes me like no other city does! Happy Bastille Day a day late. Our DD, SIL and grandson are there now, their first trip and I'm excited for them daily. Our grandson is 7 and sends us occasional emails as the trip progresses. They had chosen Monday to try to get to the Eiffel Tower, but security was so tight they never could even get under it...a shame, as that's the best picture taking angle. What a shame that we have to have these concerns in this day and age, that a crazy would attempt blowing the Eiffel Tower. :( He also told me they had been to "St Chapel" that day, which brought a smile. I'm amazed he's even emailing!!

Anyway, welcome again! I'm so glad to see you posting here, and will happily follow your progress as you make the same journey. Paris in 2015! :cheers:
 
@Beachmusic, hoping you were online because I need to ask if you are still wearing your TED? I am not sure if it is helping or hindering. It is impossible to get back on after my husband has left for work.
 
Hi @LoyalD I answered on your other thread, as I had not seen this yet. No kidding about the difficulty getting that thing on. My husband and I are both sweating by the time we finish, then I need another shower! LOL so, I still have one on. No way you could do it yourself without breaking the 90° rule!
 
Day 21. First day "weight bearing as tolerated" and I'm a happy camper. PT came and showed me how I was to walk, just resting hands on walker, and smoothly moving it ahead of me. Baby steps. Initially this morning he said I wasn't ready for the cane, but after two laps smooth walking around the house on the walker, changed his mind and let me try. First step taken with great hesitance, but then I got into the flow and lapped the house with the cane. I'm not very good, but this is genuine walking!! Yay woohoo!

He told me it would probably swell because of the added activity, but so far so good...I've used ice and elevated tho. I'm not having another Saturday episode!! And between times, I practice my smooth walker gait. Still a long way to go before normal I'm afraid!

Yesterday's PTINR was not so hot. INR was 3.4, so I'm not to take any coumadin today, then drop back to a 2.5 dose daily starting tomorrow. This is a little worrisome as I didn't think I'd made much, if any, change in my diet. I had a little lettuce under chicken salad, but nothing huge. It must be a very sensitive measurement!
 
@Beachmusic, 'I double dog dare you', what, that saying came from 'The Roadrunner Show', along with 'Beep,Beep', right? Ha, love to hear words from my childhood... Anyway, since you dared me, yes I did get on my ATV with indedpendent 4 wheel suspension that actually rides better on pasture land than a car, yes I did. And I crossed my right foot and rested it on my left knee, yes I did. And no, I avoid US 19 at all costs, it sucks! And no, I am not telling my surgeon any of the above, LOL.
 
Hey Beach, also be aware that once you are taken to the cane, it will probably be time for 'outpatient' PT. I still say one crutch is my best answer because I can really lean into a crutch where you cannot with a cane. But, all in all, it is great to hear you scooting around the home on a cane. The world will soon be your oyster again...
 
Back from 8 day cruise! Did it all! Walking, beach, spin, tours!!! Happy!!!'


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Right anterior approach on April 15, 2014
 
@waterman1 they haven't said if I'm eligible for outpatient PT. As far as I know, I'm one and done with PT, yet I feel I have an awful lot to learn still. I practiced more full weight bearing with walker and now am whupped! PT doesn't want me leaning at all, but I sure can't go far that way and it takes major concentration. Heel, toe, heel toe. Geez. I'd felt prior to this I could just get up and walk away. Today I realize I can't.

@VF You give me hope, and you are deservedly happy!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom