Guest viewing is limited

THR EmEm starting the road to recovery

Thanks @Layla, I had a lovely birthday. My husband took me to some large gardens and we had a lovely sunny day wandering around. The reason for the finger surgery is the risk of infection. I now have the cyst/ganglion permanently covered up and have to wear a plastic glove to do anything like gardening. Hopefully the surgery won't be too painful because I need that finger for working my computer!
 
Hi @EmEm
Wondering how you're doing?
Didn't you have the hand surgery yesterday?
Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and hope all is well.
A great rest of the week to you!
 
Hi @Layla, thank you for remembering. I'm typing this with my right index finger encased in a huge dressing to protect it from knocks. I was awake for the surgery and could only feel that my finger was being held, there was no pain. The surgeon said there was degeneration and a bone spur that was probably the cause of the cyst. He asked me if I wanted to see which I did. Interesting to see inside your finger! This dressing stays on until Friday when they will check the wound and then cover it with a lighter dressing until next Friday when it gets checked again. I can't work until Monday which is difficult as it's a busy time for me.

It's also the 9 month anniversary of my hip today. I hope that the rest of the Fab Four - @weezie and @Welshgirl are doing well and that @Gretel has a date for her eye surgery.
 
Hi again, @EmEm
You sound well, taking it all in stride. Hope it heals up soon.
Happy Nine Month Anniversary to you and @Welshgirl
Same sentiment for @Gretel and @weezie
Hope they are all doing well! The Fab Four > :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
 
He asked me if I wanted to see which I did. Interesting to see inside your finger!
:scaredycat:Yikes!
I'll take your word for it!
Hope all heals well!
Happy 9 month for hip!:happyfeet:
 
Oh @EmEm you are brave watching! Hope you’re healing well. My eye surgery is 26th. Hubby’s birthday :sad:
 
Happy 9 month surgery wow how time is flying by!!!
EmEm so Glad to hear your surgery went well, hopefully your recovery will be a quick one x
And @Gretel good luck with your up and coming eye surgery x
 
Hi @EmEm
Hope work is going okay with your healing finger.
Hopefully all looked well with the bandage change last Friday.
Wishing you a great week!
 
Thanks @Layla for asking, sadly we had to spend Saturday morning in the Emergency Department because I have an infection, just the thing the surgery was supposed to prevent. Very painful, swollen finger but thankfully I was well equipped with ice packs from the hip surgery and a sling from the wrist fusion. Had to spend most of the weekend using both - icing and elevating and taking my third lot of antibiotics this year. Wound check tomorrow and on Friday, and surgeon check-up next week.
 
Ugh! Poor, EmEm!
I'm sorry it can't just be smooth sailing.
Prayers that wound heals quickly and you have a positive visit with the surgeon next week.
Please keep us posted.
Hugs! :console2:
@EmEm
 
Oh my stars! Poor EmEm.
Hope everything gets better very quickly!:console2:
 
Happy Ten Month Anniversary! @EmEm
I know your new hip is serving you well but wondering how your finger is coming along?
I read elsewhere it's swollen. I hope the surgery was a success and it's just taking awhile to settle.
Wishing you a great weekend!
 
Hi Layla, I think my finger is healing well. The surgeon was pleased two weeks ago - not sure whether that was with my healing or his sewing! I'm just surprised how painful it still is and how big it looks. Thankfully the post-op infection is now gone. At least with my hip I didn't have to see every stage of the healing process, but my finger is there in front of me all the time on the computer keyboard so I can't avoid looking at it whilst I'm working!

Hope you are doing well and enjoying the summer.
 
Happy Eleven Month Anniversary! @EmEm
A flower for your special day :flwrysmile:
I hope your finger continues to heal well also.
You've been through a lot in the past year, dear one.
No more surgeries now, you're done. :yes:
Sending love and hugs across the pond :loveshwr: :friends:
 
Hi @Layla, thank you for remembering and for the poem! I can't believe we are now in September, the year is going by so fast. My hip continues to be a great success. I can now finally, get my foot on the side of the bath to dry it. I could almost do it a few weeks back but it was still very tight but I did it this morning and wondered how many times I have done it recently and just not noticed that I can lift it easily. Just shows the healing carries on for quite a while. I hope the rest of the Fab Four are all doing well.
My finger looks OK but is now much larger than previously and won't bend all the way so I assume there is still some swelling but at least it isn't infected.
Tomorrow our son comes back to the UK for 2 weeks so very excited to see him. He's just finished the first year of his secondment and is returning to his UK office to catch up with them.
 
The first year flies by it seems. I remember thinking that on my one year anniversary. Amazed it was already here!
Congrats on all the progress. It's great when you realize you're comfortably doing something you've struggled with for so long. I'll bet those little surprises continue for awhile.

I'm sure your finger swelling will continue to go down. It hasn't been all that long since surgery. Try icing it.
I'm happy for you that your son will be home for two weeks. Nothing compares to spending time with our adult children. Special times. Enjoy!!
@EmEm
 
Happy One Year Anniversary, EmEm!
It's amazing that much time has already passed. It feels like only months, not an entire year.
I hope you're doing well and wish you only the best moving forward.
Sending love and a hug! :loveshwr:
@EmEm
 
Thanks @Layla. It's been a good year after a relatively easy recovery. We are going on holiday on Saturday and aim to do some walking, weather permitting. It may not be the 46,000 step walk we did 4 years ago but it will be my way of celebrating the gift that my new hip has been.
I'm grateful for those who train to be surgeons and who consider this surgery an every day occurrence. I'm also grateful for those who developed the hip implants to the level they are today. Thanks also to those on this forum who supported me along the way and good luck to those who follow. We are celebrating our 38th wedding anniversary next week so most thanks are to my husband who supported me along the way.
 
What a sweet post, EmEm. Such a thankful heart you have.
Safe travels while on holiday and Happy 38th Anniversary to you and hubby! A great accomplishment in itself. You're blessed!
Big hugs to you.
@EmEm
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom