TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Glad your feeling a bit better and good that you gave physio a miss today,well overdone yesterday stiff and sore today so just resting and ice for me, grandsons coming later be nice to see them have a good day everyone Terri
 
Ah you'll enjoy that you really will. My two eldest ones 17 & 18 yrs old want to take me out for Chinese I our city centre in a very posh Chinese restaurant. I have asked if we can do this the end of the month x x x
 
MY boys are really young 7 5 4, the 7 and 4 year old coming today Damian is 7 going on 20 he really makes me laugh, we have 3 sons and 3 grandsons another on the way so hope it's a girl, be nice when they can take YiaYia out for dinner Terri
 
Hi @yiayia3 and @Nana moon 27
Isn't being a grandma the best thing ever? I've only got the one grandson so far, he's two and I am totally besotted. He is having a really hard time at the moment, understanding why grandma isn't joining in his games, why I wouldn't take him upstairs to change his nappy and even why I'm not in my usual home - the kitchen! When others tell him to be careful near to my knee he gets upset, as if it's his fault, I just want to get back to normal as soon as possible for his sake.
Well, it's Friday already, another week gone, I will be four weeks post op tomorrow. Some friends came to pick me up this morning to take me to our village craft morning, we all take whatever we are working on, knitting, crochet, I'm doing some patchwork, and basically chat and drink tea. But we couldn't get there because of flooding, in fact we realised that we couldn't leave the village! So four of us ended up back at my house and sewed and knitted (whilst drinking tea and chatting) all morning. I could continue to ice and elevate so it all worked well. I'm now getting ready to watch the opening of the Winter Olympics.Have a lovely weekend everyone, I do hope you are feeling much better Nana moon, and that you had fun with your boys Terri. Take care and look after yourselves, Lyn
 
Thanks Ellejay hope your O.K with the flooding we live very near the Thames and the level is coming up again, more rain tonight not good hope you have a good weekend Terri
 
Don't be afraid to ask for more meds if you need it. Some doctors just give out a little at a time - just one of the many reasons is so they can keep an eye on your status.

Read and read the materials the BoneSmarties sent to you. There is a LOT of valuable information there.

Distraction can be very helpful in reducing pain - I have found.

I am 50. I had to INSIST to my GP that I have the TKR done. He referred me to my OS. When I told my OS that the condition of my knee was ruining my life, he said he would do the TKR, no problem. Everyone except my OS told me that I was "too young". But I was crying and screaming after work, it hurt so bad.

I hope you continue to have good PT sessions. I "fired" my PTs after I was home a month. They hurt me twice, and when I said "stop" they would not stop. Then I found the BoneSmarties - I just wish I would have found them sooner. I got exercises from the BoneSmarties, added them to some yoga exercises, and I do my therapy exercises at home myself, every day.

It is probably a good thing everything worked out the way it did, because we were snowed in last week - couldn't make it up the hill. It was great - oh, I love winters in Ohio with LOTS of snow.
 
@NuNe4Me , I do envy you your snow, it has rained here just about every day since Christmas, really depressing. At least snow is pretty to look at. I admit to not wanting to walk on it but as I'm not walking far at the moment that wouldn't be a problem. Mind you if we get cold weather now I don't know what the country would do, so much land is under water, it would be like a mini ice age.
 
Today is four weeks exactly, and although I get very fed up at times, I can see I am making good progress. I have had two group PT sessions at a hospital in London, a bit of a journey but I think it is worth it. I have two more to do, they are just once a week. The therapists don't push at all and I can do most of the exercises at home, in fact I've just had a good session so I'm typing this with my legs up the wall and ice wrapped around my knee.
I have managed to cut down slightly on the medications, the GP gave me more Tramadol and by taking them with paracetamol the pain is under control again. The only thing I am fighting now is feeling bored, useless and fed up. I am usually a very positive, bubbly personality, I was an assistant head teacher, so totally in charge of everything, but four weeks of this has turned me into a dependent, introvert who can't even decide what she wants for breakfast! Friends and family have been wonderful, really supportive , visiting me, taking me out, but I am just not used to having my life controlled by others. Admittedly my life was controlled by pain for the last few months and I wasn't able to do much at all, I had retired from school because I just couldn't keep up with the children, I worked with 4-7 year olds. In a way I wish I had a job to work towards as now I have nothing at all to aim for.
I hope everyone has a good weekend, I don't know if there are any good films on TV, I'm just off to look. Good luck to anyone in the south of England,there is yet another very nasty storm heading our way.
 
I have rested, iced and elevated just about all day today, after doing some home PT this morning, so I'm going to risk going out to a restaurant with friends tonight. I won't be able to elevate my leg, this will be a first, wish me luck!
 
Good luck and enjoy !! What did you do at your group physio ? I have mine next Thursday my 1st physio since leaving hospital 11 days ago x
 
It was lovely to have a meal outside of home, my first 'night out' - yes I was home by 9.15, but it was still good to get out with friends. I'm glad to be home to be able to elevate and ice my knee, it didn't really like sitting in a chair for two hours. Bed time soon, I'm looking forward to that, today is the first day I haven't had a daytime nap.
@Yorkshiregal54 - At the group physio session we do a circuit of activities, 2 minutes on each: small squats with our backs to the wall, walking on a small trampoline, using a sort of sprung wobble board to alternately bend and stretch the leg, use an exercise bike, or just a peddle exerciser if we're not ready for the bike, sitting and standing from a chair, tip toe up and down with the support of a chair, walking around a zig zag course of cones, lunges, straight leg lifts with or without weights, step ups and downs. No one is pushed to do anything they don't want to do, the therapists are very encouraging, and measure our ROM s to see if we've improved from the previous week. We just have four sessions, but most of those exercises we can continue on our own at home, it's nice to have guidance from the specialists for the first few times. It is also good to be with a group of people who are at the same stage as ourselves. I hope yours goes well, do tell me what you get to do.
 
@Nana moon 27 , @yiayia3 how are you today?
I was so pleased to log in and read your posts this morning, I really needed some 'friends'. I've been really lucky so far, I haven't really cried, depression hasn't been a problem......until today! I got up, showered, washed & dried my hair, got dressed and then decided to take the bed sheets off for washing. In all this time my lovely, lovely husband still had not brought me up a cup of tea. My stupid pride wouldn't let me shout down to ask for one, so I then went downstairs and just collapsed in tears. Poor man didn't know what had hit him, he was busy in the kitchen, preparing my breakfast and hadn't really thought about the time. Once the flood gates opened I couldn't close them again and I've cried and cried - a whole months worth I think. I am really feeling sorry for myself today, I have a persistent dull ache all the way down my shin that the pain killers aren't touching, I'm just fed up with sitting around. Sorry to moan, I know I'll be fine later.
 
Good morning @dogwheels, my daughter sounds so similar to yours, she's 27, totally career minded, very independent and loves animals. She has two house rabbits that are treated better than royalty, she 'shares' two horses and rides every day and is also doing a degree with the OU, She bought her own flat a couple of years ago and has a fantastic social life but there is never anyone special. Thank goodness my son settled down so I've got my one grandson. They live in Kent, so I probably only get to see him every 3-4 weeks, but that's fine.
@Nana moon 27, I did smile at your knitting, in total desperation and boredom I've resurrected my patchwork quilt that I started when I was at college in the 70s. I never did finish it and somehow the last 40 years have been somewhat busy, but I kept it and so here it is again, I'll try and post a picture later. The fabrics are really dated but it's something to do!
Hope the PT goes well @yiayia3 , do tell me what you do.
I'm back on an even keel again now, I don't know what came over me this morning, but it has helped chatting to you all, knowing that you are all going through the same.
Have a good day, speak later
X Lyn
 
Hi @Ellejay what you experienced this morning with your husband is what happens with me. Silly things that wouldn't normally bother me are getting me down x x x I known it's this recovery thing but it does get you. Really looking forward to seeing the patchwork. I love retro fabrics. I went into a vintage clothes store with my sis in law once and I was gasping over some if the materials from the 60's fabrics my mom bought to make my dresses when I was little, the style everything and then the seventies stuff from my short misspent youth!!!!

Anyway I'll be around the site on and off and I'll happily chat to you x x x x and you're right this site is a godsend when you feel like that x x x
 
Thanks @Ellejay il let you know what Thursday brings at group physio !! I'm still on crutches so should be fun .NOT.x
 
Hi all - not the best day today. Spent my whole physio session having my knee yanked backwards - in various forms and fashions to improve the bend. Not painful or forceful, just a bit icky. Everyone in there seemed to be having nice massagey things done to them except me - boo! But I was teacher's pet, as I had significantly reduced the swelling and increased the bend from last week and she says I am walking well (albeit with my crutches). Hurrah! 2 more hydros this week ...... I am practically living there!
Husband has just driven down to check daughter's house - river high, but looking ok.
News from vet doesn't sound too promising, they've operated with 'reasonable' success - think I may be picking up the pieces when my daughter comes round tonight. Doesn't look good for the poor little fella.
Where are you in Herts @Ellejay? We lived in Berkhamsted for a while, many years ago ...
You want to check out the Sewing Room thread, in the Social section. Some 'show and tell' pics on there (inc a couple of mine!)
Snooze time now, physio wiped me out.
ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz ........ ChrisX
 
@yiayia3 - a fellow 'wanderer' ( I don't like to use the word traveller these days), we have a touring caravan which we love and take all over the place. Last year, our first year of retirement, we had about 120 nights in it, including 6 weeks in the south of France. We are planning on another long trip this spring /early summer, but it rather depends on my knee, and also on the left one, whether I can wait til next year to get that one done. As I've been confined to school holidays all my working life it was a dream come true to go away in May and June last year. Where do get to in your motor home? Do you use it much?
 
Hi all physio went well did steps and worked on getting leg straight much better this week and now woop woop have one walking stick, only need this to make sure I walk heel toe, I start group phyiso next week. Elliejay hope your feeling a bit better now, we go away a lot in the motorhome last summer we did Portugal and Spain for 3 months and than a month in France, this year we are going to Italy and Greece, we take our time so should be fine for me, I need my other knee done but have decided not until October at least. Hope everyone O.K looks like your doing well Dogwheels Nana Moon are you still on steroids?
 
I'm a wanderer too lol .we have a small campervan which we mostly use for the lakes or peaks area . When we retire shortly we plan to get a more luxurious spacious motorhome .
[Bonesmart.org] Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second
 
Back
Top Bottom