TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

I survived my return to Pilates this morning, first really serious exercise since the TKR, it was hard, but I'm really pleased that I managed it. My knee was stiff and swollen, but nothing that a bit of rest, ice and elevation didn't cure, and I'm looking forward to a walk later this afternoon. The real me is definitely returning now, I've got much more energy this week, my sleep quality is much better, and I'm sleeping for nearly seven hours in a stretch, can't be bad.
 
So wonderful to hear @Ellejay ! I hope to be able to get to that point (the walk, the sleep, the whatever...) soon! Keep up the great work! xoxoxo
 
Mmmmmmmm.........probably overdone it, :gaah:knee very painful, but head and heart very happy to be doing things normally. We've just returned from a longish (for me) walk, warmish temperature, birds singing, new grass smells, fresh air, absolutely delightful. Just the two of us enjoying what we've always done - in fact we met at a walking group when I was just 17 and still at school. So I'm resting / icing/ elevating yet again ( it's like being sent to the naughty step again and again :sorry:). Tomorrow I have a full assessment at the gym, before I start to really work hard to lose weight/ get fit. They will monitor me and keep measuring to see how I'm doing, so I hope the knee is ok for that.
 
Ouch.....no, not my knee, it's all those muscles that haven't been used for months & months and got a nasty shock yesterday at the Pilates class. My stomach and arm muscles are screaming every time I move them today, but at least I've forgotten the knee! I've booked again for next week, so the muscles are just going to have to get used to working again.I cycled about 6Km on the static bike, and had a half an hour walk and my knee was definitely better afterwards than it has been any other day. It's obviously getting stronger each day, enabling me to do more and more.
I'm seeing my new PT again tomorrow for my first hydrotherapy session, I'm really looking forward to it.
 
@Ellejay - you mentioned about aching ! I just pegged some washing on the line on Saturday and I've pulled my shoulder muscle lol things we haven't done . Your doing very well xx nite
 
sounds like you're doing great @Ellejay ! So glad that pilates worked out for you (sorry about the soreness today)! Keep up the terrific work but try not to overdo! xoxo
 
I really enjoyed the hydrotherapy session this afternoon, it was hard work but very worthwhile, I shall have another go next week.
I started the day with a session at the gym. I use the Motorcise studio (Google it) the machines are all powered, designed for people with joint problems, or maybe stoke victims. You can work very hard on them, and resist the power, or just go with the machine but still benefit from the full movement and stretch out the body and joints. I was also able to use the treadmill and the recumbent bike. It's a much nicer place to be than the main gym, it's mainly used by ladies of around my age, so we all have a good old chat, and there are no super slim young things that make me feel like a hippo! After lunch my husband and I went for a lovely country walk, but, we came to a stile, and I couldn't get over it, so we had to turn back, very disappointing. So I now have a new challenge, I shall go back in a couple of weeks to see if I can get over that stile! Later in the day I went to the hydro pool, so I am now exhausted, I'm sure to sleep well tonight. I actually managed eight hours last night, will I beat my own record tonight?
Have a good night everyone, sleep well
 
Hi Ellejay, I been reading the posts you sent to Pat about her baker's cyst. Do you happen to know if the steroid injections work on chronic neck pain caused by degeneration of the bones? Carol
 
@patient 99
Hello Carol, I'm sorry I can't help you on that question, but it must be worth asking a GP. I have had a couple of cortisone injections into my thumb joint, as I have arthritis there, and they certainly helped a lot. Best wishes, Lyn
 
Hi Ellejay - sorry its taken me so long to respond. I had a wicked stomach virus this week. The first time I had a normal weekend since before my tkr too! I went to hear a great blues/jazz singer at and then my family took my dad out for his 88th birthday. I was soooo happy and then bam - I was in years I had so much pain on Tuesday from this virus. I think being around different people was not good for my immune system. I had Synvisc and cortisone injections in between for two years before my tkr surgery. The first time the Synvisc lasted about nine months and was wonderful. The second time about five months and the last time not even a month but they were not guided. I have had guided steroid injections in my spine with great results at a pain management center. I recommend them highly for anyone with back issues. In my case I have osteoarthritis of the spine with degenerative disc disease both cervical and lumbar with spinal stenosis. I am going to try and catch up this weekend with BS!
 
Hi @Jozilla, I'm sorry to hear that you've not been well this week, I think we spend so much of our recovery time on our own, when we start to venture out again into the wide world every germ and virus makes us fair game.
I think @patient 99, really asked the question that you have answered, but I was very interested to read your comments regarding the injections. I only had one that was not ultrasound guided, and that was given by my OS. He could see I was I pain and thought he was doing me a favour by not making me wait a few days to see the radiologist, but it had no effect at all. I will now only have guided injections into my knee.
 
The guided injections I had were given by a kind caring anesthesiologist. I trust him so much. I do not even have anesthesia when he does them and usually watch. They say anesthesiologists in the US are the most trained of any doctor and I believe he most certainly is! I am all for this technology and feel that the guided injections are way more accurate than just a regular one. I hope they provide you with months free of pain! I am going to try and sleep now - I will be back later!
 
Saw you were on line and just wanted to say thanks for the information re steroid injections. I am now going to google these injections to see what the plus and minuses are. Some where along the line I've got it into my head that weight lifters and athletes generally use steroids to bulk up their muscles. I want to be pain free but I don't want to be Mrs Universe:heehee:. Thanks again Carol
 
@DogLoverx3, I haven't 'seen' you recently, hope you've had a good week and haven't overdone it.

I'm hoping for a relaxing weekend, but who knows? We are meeting friends half way between their home in Oxfordshire and ours here in Hertfordshire for a pub lunch today, so that should be a good start.
Have a good weekend everyone.
 
Just for the record....nine weeks yesterday and life continues to improve. I'm just back to gentle kitchen duties again, managed the evening meal last night after a day out, up til now I've run to the recliner with ice as soon as I arrive home. Today I'm making marmalade and hopefully will cook the Sunday roast for the family, first time since the op.
I was disappointed to find that I still can't ride my bike yet, I can manage the static, but not the real thing just yet. I will keep trying, it will happen eventually, but I'm not going to force anything. I've had a very good recovery, which I put down to totally resting for weeks and weeks, I'm not spoiling things now.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you Ellejay. Sounds like you are having a great recovery. Yes, the resting does pay off!
 
Hi @Ellejay - thanks for the kind thoughts and words. The marmalade looked amazing and so did the Yorkshires!
I was all set for a roast dinner today, as NM27 reminded me that I still had a turkey breast roast in the freezer from Xmas. Thankfully I had not removed it before I hurt my knee last night! Husband was back on duty today so pasta again this evening. It was nice though.
BTW - we do have kinesiology tape here in UK, but I don't think it is used that much in day to day applications. But if like me you watch rugby avidly - you can see that the players legs have coloured sticking plaster like stripes on them, which is kinesiology tape. I think basically it is a stretchy durable tape that can be stuck along the lengths of individual muscles to provide warmth and support instead of a conventional brace or support. Perhaps Ill get a bit tomorrow??
Anyways, glad all is going well for you - you will be on that bike very soon now!
X
 
Hi @Ellejay I thought I'd pop across and see how you're doing? How are you today? Is all okay? Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 and others, sorry I haven't been around today, I'm doing more and more around the house, and also trying to fit a gym or exercise class in each day, and I've been at book club this evening, so this is the first chance I've had, but now it's bedtime!
Now I'm doing a bit more each day I'm finding that my knee is quite painful at night, so last night I took a Tramadol with my usual paracetamol, but I still woke at 2am in pain, but then felt really groggy all morning, I just couldn't really wake up, I don't know if that is just down to tiredness because I'm doing a lot or because I haven't taken Tramadol for a couple of weeks. I'll try to manage without it tonight as I'm at the gym at ten in the morning and I need to drive. I had a session at the gym earlier today, and then I came home and rested, iced and elevated all afternoon, so I haven't overdone things today.
I will try to read everyone's threads tomorrow to catch up, but I have to fit in a visit to my Dad tomorrow, so I might not get back here until the evening.
I hope everyone is doing well and sleeps well tonight xx
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom