TKR Eeek’s recovery thread.

Well done Eeek so glad you are doing well, must be amazing not to have that awfull pain, you are on your way toa pain free knee:happydance::flwrysmile::egypdance:

I laughed out loud when I read that you wanted to hit your husband with your sticks. That would’ve been my response too. I don’t think people are truly aware of the environment unless they’ve been in a situation dictated by environment and physical ability.

So impressed too that you could do all that so soon after surgery. Hope your knees aren't fussing at you too much today....or that you have plenty of ice. The TENS machine is great too, isn't it?

I laughed out loud when I read that you wanted to hit your husband with your sticks. That would’ve been my response too. I don’t think people are truly aware of the environment unless they’ve been in a situation dictated by environment and physical ability.

You’re absolutely right. And, my husband‘s really a sweet guy, but he can be clueless. He‘s a model absent minded professor and just doesn‘t think through stuff like this. He‘s also very tall and can walk for hours. It can drive me bonkers. At the same time, he‘s impressed with my progress.

So impressed too that you could do all that so soon after surgery. Hope your knees aren't fussing at you too much today....or that you have plenty of ice. The TENS machine is great too, isn't it?

Thank you! Knees are ok, lots of icing. I just got my tens unit earlier this evening, so i‘ve got to read all the material and the article here.....will report on it tomorrow....looking forward to using it!

It takes a lot of experimenting to see what feels comfortable for you. And be careful not to turn up the dials accidentally. Did that last night and darned near levitated off the bed!

Well, I seem to have hit a wall. My flexion on both knees went back to 100 and i’m having quad pain on standing - no doubt due to my over exertion. I also remember hitting a wall last time at about 4 weeks - and i stopped pt for 2 weeks. Doing that again, going to just walk and use my tens unit (which I do love), icing, and rest.

I am feeling a bit grumpy and sad, but I also know it will improve. Patience. Blah. Sometimes it’s no fun to be rational.

The good news is that the awful heat is gone. So that’s something.

'Gone back to 100'! Not too bad at all.

@Eeek - Your surgery was a week behind mine - and I was grumpy last week. My leg muscles are killing me too. Perhaps there should be a progression chart on the emotions associated with this recovery because it's all so much fun. The good news - at least we aren't where we were in July! And your ROM is good; it'll be fine. Cheers and have a good weekend.

A break in the heat wave is worth celebrating. We all hit walls, I think. You're very observant (and wise) to recognize your own for what it is and have a strategy for coping with it. Post-op knees are finicky things. There may be no good reason at all for why your progress has taken a pause, but you have a sane plan for waiting it out!

Right knee is at 5 weeks today, left is at 6 months +1 week.

Started to drive on Sunday, just small distances - to the train station, grocery store, and I can now drive myself to PT. It’s liberating.

Today I took a train (50 minutes) and met some friends for lunch. I had two chemical ice packs for the train ride, and they helped. Train wasn’t bad, short walk. The hardest part was sitting at lunch. Just exhausting! As long as I’m moving, it’s ok, but sitting....ugh. Tomorrow will be elevate and ice day for sure, with a little tens thrown in.

I bet it was nice to get out and about. Just having your leg down for all that time would have been hard. Have a good rest tomorrow.

I walked quite a bit yesterday.....we went out to dinner also. This morning I felt a little stiff in my midsection - must have been from walking with crutches. So today I will definitely rest.

I nearly whacked people a few times with my crutches though. And not on purpose. Not really......People are so oblivious. I‘m not expecting that much, just watch where you‘re going. And try to not cut me off. It was especially bad yesterday. Maybe I traveled when it was too busy, or I just encountered the annoying people.

Sometimes I seem to have invisible days. People just seem oblivious to me being right in front of them. I've thought of getting a horn to toot like I would if I was in my car and someone cut in front!
Or maybe even a bicycle bell. Hmm. Might just swipe about with my stick!

I noticed that people pretty much ignored me, too. They even would walk right in front of my electric riding cart. It certainly makes me more aware of those that are disabled now!

So, it’s 7 weeks for the right and a bit more than 6 months for the left. My legs really hurt after my various excursions almost 2 weeks ago. So I went to PT, we did some simple stuff and I decided to take off 2 weeks. I go back next week.

What i’m experiencing is pain right above my right knee when I stand, just for a moment, but it is like a 4 for a few seconds. Quads, I guess. And then my right leg hurts when I stand too long mostly along the side/back from knee to ankle..i’ve found that the tens unit above my knee and on the back of my leg (calf) helps a lot. Also icing and elevating. I think the quad pain is the same as i had with my left leg. But the pain down my leg is different. Before surgery, the pain in both legs was different.....so why not after? I think I might have it band issues on the right.

Earlier this week, my husband had a retreat with his research group. And I went too, with the dog. It’s a gorgeous place, right at the Swiss Italian border, and I love to go. Unfortunately, the place we stayed in has no lift. So I did stairs. About 3 floors up. No railing on 2 of the 3 levels. But, I had my crutches, and I found that going down was much easier...so I limited my trips up and down the stairs. Sitting for a while, like at dinner is tedious. I do have to get up and walk around. I traveled with chemical ice backs and my tens unit. Both were helpful. But i’m glad I have no PT for another week.

I’m not walking the dog regularly, have just done it twice with one crutch. Will probably walk her in about 2 weeks. I’m walking around for the most part with a single or no crutch. I can sleep on my side and lie on my stomach to read. I’m doing more stretches...I have a skateboard and rocking chair to help with that. I want to walk more outside, now that the weather is nice.

Anyway, my 2 month appointment the OS is on the 24th. I figure my flexion is 100 ish, and he’ll have to be satisfied with that. I am.

It was a long time before I was able to lay on my tummy! You are doing great!

You're doing very well! Isn't it a relief to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel - and that it isn't a train?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom