Eeek‘s pre op thread

Ok, so a week later and I’m having a bit of a freak out.

Is this the best thing to do? Well yes, it is increasingly more difficult to walk. No pain when sitting or lying in bed, but I can‘t stand still for very long.

Will I hate my new knee? Will it feel weird? I have no idea! What‘s it like to have metal and plastic bits inside?

How much pain are we talking about?

Is it dumb to want general anesthesia?

So the rational me knows I need to do this. The irrational me is not convinced. Nevertheless, i‘m continuing.

I went through chemo and rads in 2011, used a lot of meditation and relaxation.....am getting back into it. Also I have meds if it gets really bad. It’s a bit less than three weeks, plenty of time to drive myself crazy. I‘m trying to reframe this like mad, telling myself it’s the best thing for me, I‘ll be more active.....but, what if I’m wrong?

Eeek! Hence the name. Is this a common thought process?

Thanks!
 
Don't worry ,just look forward to eventually having a pain free knee.
I'm having my Right knee replacement done on the 20th February,so I'm just before you. I had my left done last September. Yes it hurts for the first few weeks, but after week 4, I found that I could walk better and I was so much happier. Now my leg feels part of me, and I am so pleased that I had it done.
 
I'm just a few days out and already so happy I have had it done. The bone on bone pain is GONE. Now it is just a matter of recovery from the muscle and surgical pain. Pain control is very important.
My new knees feel so strong and they don't feel weird at all.
 
So I seem to be calming down. A lot. Looking forward to getting it over. Doing lots of relaxation/breathing exercises.

I also went through the various surveys posted to evaluate my knee, and yep, i need a new one.

Reading everyone’s stories, experiences and the info posted really has helped!

I learned to use my crutches and do stairs with crutches at PT. They told me the same thing you’ve all said here....the healing process takes at least a year. And not to push. The idea is to not suffer in pain. They are more focused on returning us to every day living....

And typically Swiss, my crutches have reflectors on the back in case i decide to walk at night. They are elbow/upper arm crutches....pretty comfy, i guess.

Only 11 days! Eeeek!
 
@Eeek I used a walker for a few days and went right to canes - 2 of them since I had bilateral. Keeping the pain down and using my PT to get back to normal daily living has been the most important to me. Lots of ice and elevating.

The more you read and prepare yourself the better off you will be.
Best of luck to you
 
Only 10 days now Eeek! My apprehension is dropping, so sick of the pain

Can you get mirrors for them too? Handy if someone comes up fast from behind or reversing onto a small chair
 
@SherrieT - cold water, no ice says my PT. I have my cryocuff and will run cold water through it. Of course chilled with a bit of ice. The PT said crutches for 3-6 weeks, but it all depends. Hoping my recliner arrives next week as promised. Hope your recovery is going well.

@Bionick -yeah, mirrors and backup lights! I‘ll have to ask. ;)

I know! 10 days!!!!!
 
Hope you love your recliner. I practically lived in mine for four months, though I spent nights in bed. Recliners are great nests.

Nothing like testing out your recovery aids ahead of time. :)
 
Recliner arrived yesterday. I like it.

Tested out the cryo cuff and had a melt down. Could not get the lid off to empty it. I think i had a lot of pent up anxiety. Got it off eventually.

Am all set with most other stuff, i hope. Just wish i could calm the anticipatory anxiety down better.
 
Take deep breaths. Put on your favorite music and rock out, or chill, as you prefer. Go out to a nice dinner. See a movie (you won’t be doing that again for a while). Your part is done for now. You get to pick up again after your surgeon has done his/her part. :cheers:
 
Well we can go through this together.... I’m scheduled to have my surgery on my left knee next Tuesday, February 27th! Best Wishes to you!
 
Good luck tomorrow @Eeek and I will follow your progress most jealously!

This Left TKR s for the both of us!
 
@Nick-UK

Awwww. Thanks. I am sad you’re not up tomorrow too!
Hopefully soon!

I really turned a corner yesterday. Had an awful day, so much anxiety and frustration (my cryo cuff container would not open, and other stuff too)

But last night i was crocheting and I just thought, why am I so miserable. This is to help me, not punish me! And it finally stuck in my head. So i think i am ok. Plus a very little xanax.

I also read the joint kitchen, which was interesting. Wish it had a bit more for “fraidy cat patients” but it was so cool to see the devices, the description of their development and I even looked at the pics without being grossed out.

I’ve been doing my relaxation stuff too. So today i’m getting organized and I’ll be off sometime tomorrow.

Sort of bummed to have a general, but it’s fine. I want to be one of the cool kids too! Though there are advantages to both.

Last general I had was in 2010, and i was fine. Even went home the next day.


Everyone’s stories and encouragement are so helpful! Thanks, <3
 
Generals are fine. I had them for every surgery before this one. You’ll do great. :console2:

I haven’t read The Joint Kitchen, so thanks for the review!
 
Ok, hospital wants me there at 6:15. Early is good. No time to think. Hospital is just 2km from my house, so easy.

Will start a thread in recovery tomorrow.
 
Morning is great! You don't have so long to fast. My surgery ended up being delayed and I ended up with a dried up turkey sandwich in the evening (everything was closed). Can't wait to start reading your recovery thread.

Also I called my OS office the day before and they gave me permission to have a couple of Benadryl the night before. That stuff knocks me out. Otherwise I don't think I would have gotten any sleep. I was so excited to get the show on the road!
 
Back
Top Bottom