BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

Eeek‘s pre op thread

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Eeek, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi
    First post. I’m an American living in Switzerland with two sad knees. Finally getting my first knee replacement on 23.02.

Will post more as I have more details, questions, etc. For now I am very relieved to be going forward.

Eeek!

2. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello, welcome to BoneSmart. You're implying you need both done; why not have them done together? Worked well for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @Eeek - and :welome:

Here are some articles that may help you:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    That was a question I had. Glad that was effective for you. i’ve spoken to a few docs here and unless you present with a significant disability they like to do them one at a time. I can see advantages to either method. And yes, I do need both done but the left is quite a bit worse than the right.

5. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    After you get the bad one fixed and it starts to take over some of the 'duties', you will find that the old, unreplaced knee will get better. Mine sure has!

6. Roy Gardiner

that's genuinely a new one on me; the way I hear it is that a patient has to be fitter than normal for some doctors to consider BTKR.
    Yes they do, some of them, and it's not always the decision process you'd like. TKR is physically demanding on the surgeon, and some don't like the exertion of two in effect together with little or no rest between. And in the USA at least there's the strong suggestion that BTKR makes less money for them than TKR.

BTKR is one surgery, one recovery and you might want to cast around for a doctor (of high repute, of course) who might take it on. Alternatively, having TKRs just days apart is possible.

I'm saying all this because if you have them (say) six months apart, you are adding exactly six months to your total recovery time where your knees rule your life.

Ultimately the decision is OF COURSE your own, I am stating the case not because I think it's absolutely the best way but simply because it worked for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    Thanks. I hope so.

I’m glad it worked for you. I prefer doing one at a time. I’m actually very happy with my doc - Lots of experience, and I’ve spoken to several surgeons before deciding.

8. Roy Gardiner

What works for you is key, trumps everything else. Just wanted to present the alternative approach in case you hadn't thought of it. Clearly you're ahead of me! Best wishes for The Day.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SherrieT

SherrieT senior

Everyone knows what is best for THEM!

My decision for BTKR was based mostly on the fact that it would mean total less recovery time for me. I'm still working and my surgery is scheduled for a time that is slow-work wise. Plus I'm a total coward and worried I would delay having a 2nd surgery.

My surgery is 01 Feb 2018 so if all goes well we can support each other with our new February knee(s).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    @Roy Gardiner - I figured out what the doc meant by “significant disability”. The doctor meant severely bowed legs. He also mentioned “legs shaped like an x”. Sometimes it’s hard - my docs speak to me in English although German is their native language.

11. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

I think he probably meant this - knock knees. Medical term is valgus deformity.

valgus.jpg

The opposite is varus or bowed legs like this

varus 1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    @Josephine. Oh, thank you, yes that must be it! I’m knock kneed myself....just not quite that pronounced.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    So I got my appointments for presurgery....

CT on 15 January
    PT consult on 23 January to answer questions - will be interesting to see how aggressive they are
    Surgical consult on 29 January, including bloodwork, anesthesiology and 3 hours of fun.

Then surgery, 23 Feb. Ta Da.
    Stuff is real.

I‘ve also got crutches, have ordered a cryo cuff and am considering rental of a recliner for 8 weeks.

And if that‘s not enough fun, the week of 8 January, I have my mammogram, yearly physical, gyn and oncology checks.

Medical extravaganza

14. SherrieT

SherrieT senior

@Eeek I'm a bit ahead of you, Feb 1 and I just got the most incredible Christmas present. It is the pillow (I'm not sure if I can actually say the name of it) but it is the one with a channel in the middle for your leg. I got an wonderful recliner off Craigslist for $35 and, with this pillow, my leg has never felt so good. So easy to get "toes over nose", even though my recliner doesn't go all the way back. I'm going to order another one for my other knee. Looks like it will fit on recliner and be comfortable in bed. Just something for you to think about.

Let us know how the pre-op stuff goes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    @SherrieT - i’ve been looking at u shaped big pillows. Not sure what yours looks like, though I’ll nose around.

16. LuluArchie

LuluArchie junior member

Hi,
    I had my LTKR in September 2017 and my RTKR is on February 19th. My left knee was knock kneed and my right is now legged. I can't wait for this all to be over,then I can get on with my life.
    I'm still in pain,but I expect that I am still healing.
    Good luck with your operation,I will support you where I can.
    Take care.

17. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    @LuluArchie thanks! Wishing you the best too!

This week was a lot of medical stuff ...yearly mammogram, gyn and oncologist. I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the end of 2010, treated in 2011 and have been “NED” or no evidence of disease for 7 years. Still going ok, whew. And then I saw my GP who did some of my pre surgery blood work, and that looks pretty much ok. But poked and prodded and 6 tubes of blood going to various places. And more to come, I guess.

Tomorrow’s my CT so they can construct what they need for my knee.

It’s going to be interesting....i live in the German speaking part of Switzerland and my German is pretty basic. Fortunately most doctors speak English - at least a lot better than my German. It will be fine, actually.

I have a question about shower chairs. To get into my shower, I have to step up a few centimeters. What have people used? I was thinking of a bath chair. I’m just worried I won’t be able to step in and out first few days. My shower head can be hand held.

Thanks so much!

18. MSgirl

MSgirl senior

My dr. didn't let me shower for a week or until the staples came out so by then, I was a little more stable on my leg. My shower sounds like yours. It has a short step - maybe 2 inches - to get in. What I did the last time was walk to the edge and put my walker over the ledge, then used my non-TKR leg to step into the shower. I would turn around and put the walker back out. Reaching between the grab bars, I could get to the shower chair. We left the shower head dangling so I could maneuver it from a sitting position. I did put a rubber non-stick mat on the floor (ours has stone floors) between the grab bars to make me feel safer. You will probably be tired when you are done but oh, my, does that first shower feel good! I'll let you know if it doesn't work this time. My first shower should be next Wednesday!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    Had my pre-op today. Blood pressure, ekg, more blood drawn, then a video describing the procedure, discussion with one of the OS staff, long discussion with Anesthesiologists, meeting with physio. Also measuring for stockings.

I had all my questions answered, language barrier not withstanding. My husband came with me, his German is quite good, all the docs speak reasonable English.

Some interesting things:
    No mess about weight at all. Except to say, well you carry excess weight. We will deal with it, you have some additional risks. We are prepared. I am “obese”.

The anesthesiologist and OS were really in favor of general anesthesia because of my anxiety. I‘ve been treated for generalized anxiety for years. I‘m ok with that. But I talked to the anesthesiologist for a long time.

My blood pressure is crazy on first reading. Always lower on second. But everything else is ok.

Very simple exercises, very few exercises. The idea is to not work through the pain. They like cold, but not ice so as to not limit blood flow for the initial period. So I guess I can run the cryogenic cuff with cold, not icy water.

The PT was ambivalent about the use of the recliner chair.
    We’re still thinking.

It‘s Switzerland, so very well organized. I have been very happy with my health care so far, so I hope this will be a good experience.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Sounds like you are in capable hands. :) Cooling the joint is the main thing, and cold water will do the trick. There's back and forth about icing vs. not icing, and what you describe seems like a good balance that should reduce your swelling and help keep pain at bay.

I'm glad your therapist isn't a push-through-the-pain type. Gentle exercises will be good for your new knee and as long as you listen to the knee and don't push into pain, you'll do great!

• Like Like x 1