THR Early Birthday

The hernia seems almost like a footnote after the THR. And, hey, I've been reading lately about cognitive behavioral therapy and Stoic philosophy, especially how they relate to pain management, so I guess we'll see if I've learned anything!

So glad you got a good report & he didn’t put you in detention any longer...free to do normal things again!!
Shame more surgery is on the horizon for you....hope you can put it off for a while..
Enjoy your freedom but use it wisely!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yay for Stoicism... perfect for recovery.
The Stoics often refer to the four cardinal virtues of Greek philosophy: prudence, justice, fortitude, and temperance. (Or if you prefer: wisdom, morality, courage, and moderation.)
Let's all Especially pay attention to the last one...

And, hey, I've been reading lately about cognitive behavioral therapy and Stoic philosophy, especially how they relate to pain management, so I guess we'll see if I've learned anything!
Been reading my recovery thread from 6 years ago. At one point a couple of weeks in, my wife and sis-in-law had coined the phrase ‘contradictory wellness’ to label me. Never figured out that whole definition but I wonder if that came out of being overly Stoic?
Thoughts?

Shame more surgery is on the horizon for you....hope you can put it off for a while..
Enjoy your freedom but use it wisely!!!

I'm eager to get it done, exactly so I can move on to normal activities. I had already consulted with a surgeon about the hernia before the THR to figure out which to do first. We have another consultation on may 29; I'm hoping for an early June surgery date. Just enough time to be stable from the hip. Then the hernia recovery can sort of segue into hip rehab, part 2.

Sounds like a plan!!! You are more stoical than I am!
I’m meant to have a TKR 6 months from my surgery date but I really don’t want to schedule it in... don’t even want to think about it [emoji51][emoji51]

Sounds like a plan!!! You are more stoical than I am!
I’m meant to have a TKR 6 months from my surgery date but I really don’t want to schedule it in... don’t even want to think about it [emoji51][emoji51]

The tradeoffs are difficult, aren't they?

Best night yet! Still waking up, but slept like 90 minutes in recliner, 90 in bed, etc. Ice machine next to recliner so I can ice and elevate before going back to sleep.

I can tell the bed is helping; it lets me stretch the leg with hip straight. It's tense when I first lie down, then I feel the muscles relax. OS talks about the muscles "recalibrating", and I find that a useful way to think about it.

Using the walker at night and some during the day, but I'm pretty comfortable with the cane. It just takes more energy. Probably walk around the property a bit today - was a bit lazy yesterday. For a while I kept thinking I want to either lift some weights or drink some whisky. Probably just because I'm not supposed to do either right now!

yay for a good night... !
I’ll have your whisky for you .. a nice Lagavulin! Not long now until you can enjoy everything...

My leg still ‘recalibrated’ (great description) when I lay down flat but it feels good for the stretch!

While whiskey doesn’t interest me at the moment... Thinking of having a glass of wine tonight. It’s a beautiful sunny day, we will bbq later. I just think it’s the right thing to do, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Great update, billy!
I can't believe it's only four days until your one month anniversary.
Maybe if your off the heavy stuff by then you can have a Whiskey to celebrate.
Hope you have a great Sunday!
@59billy

Good day so far. Spent maybe 2/3 of the night in bed. Hip is relaxing a bit.

Drove myself to PT like a grown up. As usual, added a few exercises and dropped a few. 6" step up as opposed to 4 last week. Slow progress is still progress!

In other news, sweety bought me a small Blackstone gas griddle so I can cook my steaks and such on the deck instead of greasing up the kitchen. Win/win at its best!

Last edited:
The Blackstone grills look awesome......been advertised a lot on TV here lately. Score one for Billy and score one for Sweetie, no mess (and no cooking either)!! Sounds like your days are getting better and better; big boy driving! Honestly it sounds like you're doing pretty good for not even 4 weeks yet!!! You certainly make recovery look like kid stuff, at least compared to mine, lol! :wow:

That griddle looks awesome! We have a guy in town that goes around and does pancakes on one like that! He built a contraption on wheels that slides back and forth and dispenses 3 perfect pancakes at a time. He pulls the trigger, slides it about 8” and pulls the trigger again. Gets a good row of canes going at once! He also cooks a bunch of sausage. What a great deal.

I've wanted one ever sine I saw the first commercial! Dang, could do a lot of cooking on that @inthebeginning! Billy definitely scored big with that!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88