Revision TKR Dutch's Recovery - Onward and Upward

Do remember the mantras when you get to out patient PT, especially these two:

- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
 
Do remember the mantras when you get to out patient PT, especially these two:

- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again

Thanks for the reminder. I worked with these folks 3-1/2 years ago on my PKR; and they were quite realistic in their expectations vs pain. I have such good ROW numbers already, that I don't think they'll push too hard. The big challenge will be to strengthen the atrophied muscles in the surgical leg - due to several months of pretty much non-activity - without hurting the hip. The hip has had some negative symptoms as a result of my taking so long to do the Revision.

My home therapist, after seeing my ka-nee xrays, suggested doing the other knee sooner rather than later - just as soon as the OS is willing to do it. She said he likes 3-4 months between knee procedures.

Onward and Upward! :egypdance:
 
YaHoo Dutch! That's fantastic, keep working, slow and steady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
The big challenge will be to strengthen the atrophied muscles in the surgical leg - due to several months of pretty much non-activity - without hurting the hip
And without hurting the knee!
It takes about 3 months for enough healing to be completed before you can really start strengthening exercises. Start them too soon and you're likely to get inflammation, tendinitis and all those annoying, painful complications.
 
^Exactly. Just because you've got great ROM (congratulations!) doesn't mean the tissues are ready for a workout. Slow and steady will get you there without tendinitis.
 
At 3 weeks post-op, I had the first outpatient PT yesterday. I took 50 mg of Tramadol in anticipation.

The therapist liked my 118degree flex after a warmup, and led me through what he said were gentle excercises. I left the session sore and the knee was extremely stiff. After a few hours on ice and 400 mg of Ibuprofen, it seemed to be back to where it was before the PT. (Tramadol, for me, seems to be quite useless.)

Today (the next day) I'm completely off all pain meds, not even Ibuprofen; and have been quite ambulatory. I even went outside to fill the deer feeder, which has been empty for three weeks. For short walks there is 0-1 out of 10 pain, which is better than it was before the surgery.

I have another PT scheduled for the day after tomorrow, and I think I need to insist that we go a bit easier than the last time.

Onward and Upward! :puppysmooze:
 
After scoring 129 degrees at OPPT on Thursday, I decided it was time to get outside and do a few things around the yard. My deer feeder hadn't been filled in over three weeks; and I'm sure my furry friends were wondering what happened, so I filled it. Today I had 5 of them show up to fill their bellies. It is so nice to be able to get out and do what needs doing again!

[Bonesmart.org] Dutch's Recovery - Onward and Upward
 
Seems like I may have taken a minor step backward. Had very little physical activity this weekend; but for some reason the ka-nee decided to swell up, stiffen up and become a bit sore. I've also regressed from an almost normal walking gait to a slight limp.

Ice reduces the swelling, but it comes back fairly quickly. I have an OPPT scheduled in the morning. Hopefully, they can give me a reason why; or, if they think it is of any concern, they can send me over to the doc on the other side of the building.

Onward and Upward, although this weekend seems to be a bit more in the Downward direction. :shrug:​
 
So sorry to hear that. Hopefully this is just part of the knee trying to take care of itself.
Will be very interested in what you find out tomorrow morning. Keep us informed as I
am a bit more than a week behind you. I begin out patient therapy Thursday.:what: :doh:
 
Maybe a touch of overdid it. Rest, ice, and elevate. Scale back activity just a little.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Maybe a touch of overdid it. Rest, ice, and elevate. Scale back activity just a little.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

I can't dispute this. However, this weekend had less activity than compared to earlier in the week. I'll see what the PT folks have to say this AM.
 
Knees are ornery creatures. Sometimes they swell. Sometimes they have little pains. Sometimes they feel awesome and you think what did I do to make you feel so great? Can I please do it again?
 
Yep. PT folks just felt that my current swelling, stiffness and soreness was just part of the normal ebb and flow of recovery. We could only achieve 126° today as opposed to 129° last week.

Elevate and ice. Hopefully, this too shall pass. :whistle:
 
We could only achieve 126° today as opposed to 129° last week.
126 at a month after surgery is great! :yes!::happydance:

Don't worry about the difference between 126 and 129 - it's infinitesimal and could even be due to a slight variation in the way it's measured.

You're doing very well, but I think you'll find that you do have the occasional, apparent backward step or plateau in improvement. This recovery is a roller coaster, with lots of ups and downs, and sometimes it seems that you take two steps forward and one step back.

It's difficult to judge how much activity is too much and sometimes we have to overdo things in order to find out. Usually, no permanent harm is done and plenty of rest, ice and elevation will put you back on track.
 
@Celle
Thanks for the encouragement. Being the control freak that I can be, I just want the recovery to be a straight line upward. I know that's not reality, but I can still wish for it to be so. :old:
 
@DUTCH, I hope you have a restful night. Love the deer feeder. It was a nice distraction for you I am sure to be out and able to enjoy nature.
 
This should really go into a separate post, since it's not really about my recovery; but I'll put it here to save clutter. If one of you mods thinks it should be a separate post, feel free to edit.

By the time it's all said and done, my recent single knee revision will bill out at a total of right around US$100,000.00 before Medicare hacks away at it.

I have a friend in France who is currently in the planning stages for both knees as totals. He will have the procedures done at a high end clinic with a 1st class single room and 1st class food. The total bill, including hospital, surgeons fees, lab tests, rehab, etc, etc will be 3,800 Euros (~US$4,000) before health insurance picks up most of the tab. His total out of pocket will be 200 Euros (~US$212.00) due to the 1st class room and food. This is for BOTH knees!!
What an interesting and revolting comparison! :holysheep:
 
Dutch, that is pretty sad. So far, my TKR bills coming in, I am about $50,000. That does not include prior doctor appts., or the PT - in home and out patient. My Insurance year reset October 1, so I will be paying my deductibles on my primary and supplement - then copays. Merry Christmas to me! What did you include in your total?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom