Revision TKR Dutch's Recovery - Onward and Upward

Congrats on now being on the post-op side. sounds like the pain meds are worth their weight in gold' I will be sure to stay ahead of the pain next week.

LTKR revision Oct. 28, 2015
 
The Exparel only lasts for a maximum of 48 hrs. After that it is conventional meds like Percocet, cold therapy (an ice machine) and/or Tens unit.
 
The home PT was here today to change the dressing for the first time. We took a picture, but I'm hesitant to post it here because it is so downright gruesome.
 
So how is your pain level @DUTCH ? Is the percocet doing the trick?

The Percocet takes care of about 95% of the pain. The cold therapy unit takes care of the rest of it. Sitting or laying in bed my pain level is 0 on a 10 scale. However, when I get up and walk on it, there is a fair amount of pain (6-7 out of 10) during the first few steps; and this diminishes as I continue walking. Believe it or not, I am able to walk around the house with no walker and no cane only 3 days out from the surgery; but the cane is with me whenever I'm moving around for safety's sake, especially on steps.

Right now my Percocet dose is 1 tab every 4 hrs. I tried every 6 hrs and every 5 hrs, but these did not stay ahead of the pain. Every 4 hrs seems to keep the pain at bay, and I've sent an alarm on my cell phone to remind me.

I have one last unused item in my pain control bag of tricks The TENS unit. Haven't used it yet, because I'm not convinced that it did me any good when recovering from the previous PKR. However, since the electrode patches are already in place, I'll toss it in the mix, if the pain gets worse.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I posted an earlier thread discussing this wonderful EXPAREL drug, but it's too specific to be used to chronicle the recovery, so I'll start and use this thread henceforth.

At 7 days out from surgery, the Home Therapy Tech was concerned about increased reddening color around and the excessive seepage from the surgical site, although she was very pleased with the 9 degree and 94 degree range of motion numbers she was measuring. She called my doc's office, and I went there for them to check it out today.

The doc's PA said the color and seepage was on the high end of normal and prescribed a regimen of Bactrim. He also removed and cleaned all the "junk" from around the site, and we took the enclosed photo.

[Bonesmart.org] Dutch's Recovery - Onward and Upward


As you can see there is a lot of swelling on the inner side (right side in photo) of the knee, as well as some quite large blisters.

The wound in the middle of the thigh above the incision is where the mounting leg for the computer navigator was inserted to clamp on the femur. The smaller one at the very bottom is where the mounting leg was inserted for clamping to the tibia. The tiny holes just above and below the incision is where the sutures come out.

I am now walking around the house without using the walker or the cane, although the cane is good proactive insurance on the steps.

Still doing 1 Percocet every 4 hrs and the cold therapy unit with elevation. So far, not too much - in fact a lot less than the first go'round 3.5 yrs ago - discomfort, Gott sei Dank.

Onward and upward.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Dutch, I moved this post into your existing recovery thread---we ask each member to have one recovery thread since it is easier if all the posts are in one place. I can rename this thread, if you would like. Just tag me and I will do it. Kelly
 
Dutch, I am very happy that your pain is under control and you are doing very well. I have my surgery on November 24. I am very concerned about the pain when I wake up after surgery. When I go to my OS for a pre consultation I will ask him about Exparel. Keep doing well and I will check in with you often.
 
You are not dense, I am!!! I thought I had moved this post, I must be in lah-lah land, will do it right now.
 
Dutch, to tag me or any of the moderators just type @skigirl---so @ followed by the name we use on Bonesmart. It will alert me that you want a change on your thread. Sorry for the mix-up. Kelly
 
Another visit with the home therapist today. She tells me that she is absolutely amazed at my ROM only 9 days out from surgery. 6 degrees and 96 degrees; and she hasn't really pushed me at all. I'm wondering if some of the credit might be due to the extended ROM of the Aesculap Columbus AS Revision System that was used. All I know is that it's doing heads and shoulders over the partial done back in 2012.
:spin:
 
Great to hear you are doing well. Please continue to keep us posted on how it's going.
 
Post-Op visit today. ROM = 2° and 102°, which isn't too bad for being two weeks out from the surgery.

Also, got some xrays of the new knee. @Josephine I'll have to question the alignment of the patella on my next visit. I wonder if it will properly align with time.

And then it sure looks like the left one is going to be up sometime soon.

[Bonesmart.org] Dutch's Recovery - Onward and Upward


[Bonesmart.org] Dutch's Recovery - Onward and Upward


[Bonesmart.org] Dutch's Recovery - Onward and Upward
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Why, what's wrong with it? Looks perfectly fine to me.

Thanks Josephine. That's good to hear from someone with a very experienced eye. I had thought it looked like it was off center. Glad to hear that it looks perfectly fine.

As to the other knee, the doc has already said he will not do a PKR on that one. I'm too big - 6'4" and 260 lbs. Needs to be a TKR.

Then there's the matter of a foot fusion or two coming on down the line. Arrggghhhh!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DUTCH - I agree with your surgeon about not doing a TKR on your other knee.

My first knee replacement was a PKR. I don't regret having it, because it gave me back my life, but it only lasted me eleven years.

I used it hard, but eventually I wore out the spacer and it broke - most inconveniently, when I was on holiday, thousands of miles from home. I'm overweight too, and I think that, combined with all the work I gave it, could have worn out the spacer early.

Given the choice again, on my other knee I opted for a TKR.
 
My home therapist turned me loose today at 17 days post-op. ROM is 2° and 110°. Also have stopped the Percocet and switched to 50 mg Tramadol every 4-6 hrs.

Will start Out Patient Physical Therapy on Monday.

Onward and Upward! :yahoo:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom