TKR dragonfly's recovery thread

Thanks I have been using ice on the back also. I called my Dr. he prescribed some Voltaren gel for it. Also said to use moist heat which I thought might actually make it swell worse so have not tried yet.
 
My physio suggested heat for the tight muscles at the back of the knee and ice for the swelling. I tried one of those wheat bags you heat in the microwave just on the back and it really helped.
 
Hello! Oct 17th! I'm right there with you! I've decided not to go back to PT after 2 sessions and hopefully my doc won't object. I will be following your journey! I don't have too much of a bend as yet... I'm guessing maybe 65. It was 62 with a push from the PT last week but I've been walking, icing, elevating and just doing my usual GENTLE bending here and there throughout the day and it seems to have improved slightly. I have what I would consider full extension so that's good I guess. I did have a 2nd surgery for a Hematoma removal on Oct31st which really set me back.. so I'm trying not to be hard on myself. Your comments so far have been encouraging. Thank you!!!
 
Hey funkymuse yes it quite a process that's for sure. I wouldn't worry about the bend a this point. When I had my right knee surgery 4 years ago, they said the most I would get was maybe 90. After 4 years I notice with the left knee out of commission it is still doing better. It is at least 120, I can do anything I want ride my bike, hike, garden. So hang in there it will come in time.
 
Does anyone else have night sweats? Do you know what causes them? I wake up in the night just soaked.

Just read this and it struck a chord. Are you taking omeprazole for PPI cover by any chance? I took it after my last op and it made me sweat buckets, especially at night. I changed to lansoprazole which doesn’t make me sweat.
 
I can't remember, are you still on Opiates of any kind? The Oxy caused me awful night sweats for about 2 weeks and slowly settled down as I came off of it.
 
That may have been it, they are getting better. I have been on Tylenol and Tramadol for a couple weeks now. Try to get by on twice a day the last few days, I take 2 Tylenol and one Tramadol.
 
Almost 10 weeks into recovery, doing great. Only 2 Tylenol at night. Bend is about 95 and getting better everyday. I do just about anything I want. A little sore at night, just elevate and ice does the trick.
How are the other October people doing?
 
Hi just dipped into the site and read your update. We had our surgery on the same day. I am doing fine. I went back to (full time) work on 4 Dec. Life is normal. Walking comfortably, no aids, no medication. I occasionally have to elevate in the evening if I have had an exceptionally active day but I can live with that. Feeling very lucky.
 
Hi I went back to work three weeks after my surgery. BIG mistake. I was put back in bedrest last week. And back on a walker for the next two weeks. Muscle strain is what doc says -did to much to soon. Pain was unbearable. So now back to square one. Taking it slow and steady. Just found this site. Really awesome to hear I'm not alone in my recovery . So how are you feeling? Merry Christmas!
 
Hey there Dragonfly - another 10/17 LKR here and my knee is still going slow. Last measurement at PT last week was 60 but my knee was internally swollen when he measured. It was very discouraging. I had talked of quitting PT and during the sessions since I said that, I didn't allow them to push or anything but I finally have come to see the futility of going so I cancelled next weeks session and I have none after that. I've been at 60 for several weeks. I reached 71 with a painful pullback by myself a few weeks back but since then it seems really stubborn. I've been working 3 days a week, wearing an ice pad strapped to my knee and if it were not for that I would not be able to work due to swelling and stiffness.. that ice pad really keeps it from becoming logged. When I'm home, I do ADL's, do walk around the house, I do a few wall heel slides here and there to the point of an uncomfortable tightness and no further and I do the half revolutions on the bike on my off days from work for about 5 min AND I ice elevate ALOT of the day. At work, I'm sitting 1/2 of the time and up and about the rest so I don't do anything on those days other than that except come home, put the leg up with ice. I just don't think I'm doing too much. I don't have much pain at all unless I push too hard to flex past the swelling.. so I don't.

Your story is encouraging and I sure wish I'd see some flex progress. My leg feels strong but the swelling continues to keep me from bending any further than I am. I'm working to keep my chin up and stories like yours help me. At times I wake up in horrid fear about facing my 'no pain no gain' doctor on Jan 3rd so I get on here and get bolstered up again by knowing that I must continue on the Bone Smart path and not be afraid of him.
 
Well it's been a while since I have been on, doing pretty good at a little over 4 months. In the last few days I been have a stabbing pain just below the knee cap. Not real sure what it is, kind of comes and goes. It feels like it is in the incision. My first thought was adhesions but when rubbing it doesn't break up like adhesions do. Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem.
 
It's possible it is where the stem is going into the top of the tibia. I had a lot pain right there for quite a few months. It is much better now. I really don't think there's anything for you to worry about. You know the saying...it just takes time to heal! If it is a lot of pain, I'd suggest you call your OS just to be on the safe side.
 
It's would say it's not a lot if pain. Just give a stabbing pain off and on. Don't remember ever having it on the other knee. Thanks for the reply
 
I glad it's not a lot of pain. Mine wasn't either, but sometimes it'd be the only place that was hurting. It does get better!
 
It been 7 months since my left knee replacement, have been doing great. I washed windows yesterday, climbing up and down ladder. Today my knee is hurting. Isn't my knee well past the point of overdoing? Opinions appreciated, thanks Candy
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom