Dragonfly's New Knee

oooohhh...still in lots of pain it sounds like. Glad you were able to get some sleep. Hopefully PT will be gentle with you!
 
PT was ok. Really stiff & painful. Will have a quiet evening tonight.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hope you were able to get a little rest with pain under control! Glad PT went ok but sounded like you were exhausted! Take care and be gentle with yourself!
 
It's Sunday, 4 days out and I feel pretty good. Eating well, walking with walker, sleeping 4 hrs at a time, icing, elevating & meds as directed. Exercises are challenging but I'm getting better. Thanks for all your support.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It sounds as if you're doing well, Dragonfly. Remember that it's very early days and your ability to do the exercises will improve as your knee heals. Don't stress it now by trying to do everything the therapists ask of it. Just do what you can, without pain, stiffness or increased swelling, either at the time, or later. Your knee only needs a small amount of gentle exercise at this stage.
 
Thanks @KarriB & @Celle
I've had a bit of nausea all day though. Meds for slow peristalsis finally worked, maybe that will help.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I hope your stomach settles down. Everything felt a bit out of wack my first few weeks. Try to eat a cracker or some food with your pain meds even in the middle of the night. I kept a fig newton, water bottle and meds beside my bed to get me through the night.
 
Nausea is still there and I'm not fond of how the meds make my head feel.
I also have the weird intense 'scream out loud' type nerve pain that comes randomly.
Any ideas?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's the medications that cause your nausea. Do phone your surgeon or PCP, and ask for a prescription for an anti-nausea medication, such as Zofran. You do need the pain meds, but there's no need to continue to feel nauseated.

If the meds are making your head feel strange, you probably need to spend as long as you can resting - which is what your knee needs at this stage.
 
I called that surprise nerve pain, zingers. They come out of nowhere and are gone just as quickly.
 
don't forget too to eat a little something when you take a pain pill. I kept crackers and a little tube of peanut butter beside my bed and ate one or two whenever I took a pill. This might be just me, but when I began to be nauseated, I cut back on the pill a little and it was better too.
 
@KarriB
that's a good description. Every time I have one I actually look at my knee to see if sparks are flying


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Mine didn't come until much later (maybe because I had two surgeries) when I was teaching. I was usually sitting when they hit, my right leg would actually pop up from the zinger and I'd let out a gasp. My first graders thought it was hilarious!
 
Mine doesn't move or jerk. Hope it goes away...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It will go away, but everyone is different, so there's no telling when.
 
Any of you had/have
back/hip issues since surgery?
My upper hip (almost waist level same side as new knee) is hurting more than my knee now.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, I do, my surgery was 2/2 and that was my biggest complaint when I saw my PA ten days ago. She says it could be from my gait being correct now. It is worse when I sit in the car too long.
 
My hip and back were painful. I felt it was from sitting so much in the same position and the change in my walking pattern. It eventually went away.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom