TKR Doreen’s Post Op journey

Nighttime pain is a indication that you are doing too much during the day. It seems like even doing a little something shows up more at night. I hated night the first month or so. It seems like when we're trying to sleep, that's when we can really feel the pain. Are you icing and elevating all night? I did. It helped a lot.
 
How do you think you’ll modify it?
 
Still whining and not happy about this knee replacement at all. Knee is too sensitive and gets stiff while sleeping then very painful. Then I’m awake and miserable! Can’t get interested in anything...coloring, lettering, embroidery nothing that used to bring me joy and tv is hardly a distraction. I’m crabby and can’t stand me or this.
 
You are in the angry tissue stage right now. I remember it well. It will eventually pass as you heal. :console2:
 
Your new knee is an angry infant and reacts like one. Treat your knee like you would an infant. Treat it lovingly and very gently. All you need to be doing now it your ADL. When not up, you should be resting, icing and elevating. I did this every time I was down. I even iced and elevated all night long. You are just over a little of a month, which is 1/12 of the way to a healed knee. Of course, you'll be feeling much better before then! Listen to your knee and obey it! That way you will have a much easier time of it.
 
A surgery as major as this one affects your brain as much as it does the rest of your body. You may find yourself more emotional (some do, some don’t), or forgetful (that was me), or unable to concentrate. We even have a term for it: brain fog. These things eventually pass and your mind will return to normal. Find ways, if you can, to be patient with yourself, and kind. As you stop taking some meds, starting eating normally again, return to your accustomed activities and social interactions, and take back more control over your own life, you will find recovery a more pleasant undertaking.

You will soon find yourself more able to enjoy your favorite pastimes. Until then, you might try something new. I am a reader, but could not read. Instead, I found TV easy to watch and for some reason found a new interest in TV westerns. I don’t know why, but it passed the time while I was recliner-bound.
 
@Doreen1063, I will tell you that even if I stay in, don't overdo, ice and elevate all day and nap, my knee wakes me up every night, usually around 3:30-4:00 after going to bed around 11:00. I've tried to analyze it and think it might be my sleeping position. It's been 7 weeks for me and I can sort of sleep on my side. I realized that I am pulling up my knee when I'm in that position. I don't think it likes being in that bent position for any length of time. That might not be it but makes sense to me. I end up sleeping on my back and can sometimes (not always) manage to get a little more sleep. For knee #1, I did eventually get back to my regular side-sleep position but it took awhile. I'm holding that in my mind when I get frustrated with lack of sleep, but I'm also napping every day, sometimes twice a day. It's boring and a real pain in the rear but it's just the way it is. Everyone preaches patience and I am not normally patient, but I don't have a choice right now. You WILL eventually be able to sleep. I promise.
 
I was the same way for a few months and really didn’t sleep well for a few months, but not due to pain. I just couldn’t sleep. My ability to concentrate on anything was gone. I really just zoned out in front of the tv.

Even though you’re 5 weeks post op be sure you aren’t doing too much. The majority of your time should be elevating your knee with a few chores around the house. Take a look at the Activity progression for TKRs to gauge whether you’re too active for this point in recovery. I’m sure someone has said this recovery can take a while. It was 3 months before I could begin my regular activities and longer before I felt good.
 
Thank you all. I also have fibro and know that increases my sensitivity by 100%! I found my tens unit and will see if that helps. Hubby thinks I stopped the Norco to soon. ?
 
I agree with hubby. As long as you're having that much pain, you need pain relief.

Zoned out in front of the TV is a good way to describe it. I'm also an avid reader, but I couldn't even read one paragraph! So, I watched TV and the next thing I knew I was waking up. This happened a lot during the first 6 weeks or so.
 
I slept and still sleep with a soft pillow under and between my legs according to wether I was on my side or back. I am 13 weeks post op and still find it uncomfortable to sleep without the pillow. Hope this may help for you Doreen x
 
@Doreen1063, I will tell you that even if I stay in, don't overdo, ice and elevate all day and nap, my knee wakes me up every night, usually around 3:30-4:00 after going to bed around 11:00. I've tried to analyze it and think it might be my sleeping position. It's been 7 weeks for me and I can sort of sleep on my side. I realized that I am pulling up my knee when I'm in that position. I don't think it likes being in that bent position for any length of time. That might not be it but makes sense to me. I end up sleeping on my back and can sometimes (not always) manage to get a little more sleep. For knee #1, I did eventually get back to my regular side-sleep position but it took awhile. I'm holding that in my mind when I get frustrated with lack of sleep, but I'm also napping every day, sometimes twice a day. It's boring and a real pain in the rear but it's just the way it is. Everyone preaches patience and I am not normally patient, but I don't have a choice right now. You WILL eventually be able to sleep. I promise.
Thank you all. I also have fibro and know that increases my sensitivity by 100%! I found my tens unit and will see if that helps. Hubby thinks I stopped the Norco to soon. ?

Hey doreeeeeen!
 
I know everyone is different with their tolerance for pain and drug effectiveness. For what it is worth, I’m in my 9th week and just now down to 1 Norco and 3 sets of 1000 mg Tylenol per day. Last week it was 2 Norco and the week before, 3. I have never had pain more than a 4 and usually a 1 or 2. Of course, as I type this I am in bed with my leg elevated and iced, taking a break from work, and maybe a nap. That also helps. Hope you can find some relief, even if it means additional pain meds for now.
 
@Doreen1063, I will tell you that even if I stay in, don't overdo, ice and elevate all day and nap, my knee wakes me up every night, usually around 3:30-4:00 after going to bed around 11:00. I've tried to analyze it and think it might be my sleeping position. It's been 7 weeks for me and I can sort of sleep on my side. I realized that I am pulling up my knee when I'm in that position. I don't think it likes being in that bent position for any length of time. That might not be it but makes sense to me. I end up sleeping on my back and can sometimes (not always) manage to get a little more sleep. For knee #1, I did eventually get back to my regular side-sleep position but it took awhile. I'm holding that in my mind when I get frustrated with lack of sleep, but I'm also napping every day, sometimes twice a day. It's boring and a real pain in the rear but it's just the way it is. Everyone preaches patience and I am not normally patient, but I don't have a choice right now. You WILL eventually be able to sleep. I promise.
Thank you all. I also have fibro and know that increases my sensitivity by 100%! I found my tens unit and will see if that helps. Hubby thinks I stopped the Norco to soon. ?

Hey doreeeeeen!

Hi Colleen! I’m doing ok...gonna post an update.
 
@Doreen1063, I will tell you that even if I stay in, don't overdo, ice and elevate all day and nap, my knee wakes me up every night, usually around 3:30-4:00 after going to bed around 11:00. I've tried to analyze it and think it might be my sleeping position. It's been 7 weeks for me and I can sort of sleep on my side. I realized that I am pulling up my knee when I'm in that position. I don't think it likes being in that bent position for any length of time. That might not be it but makes sense to me. I end up sleeping on my back and can sometimes (not always) manage to get a little more sleep. For knee #1, I did eventually get back to my regular side-sleep position but it took awhile. I'm holding that in my mind when I get frustrated with lack of sleep, but I'm also napping every day, sometimes twice a day. It's boring and a real pain in the rear but it's just the way it is. Everyone preaches patience and I am not normally patient, but I don't have a choice right now. You WILL eventually be able to sleep. I promise.
Thank you all. I also have fibro and know that increases my sensitivity by 100%! I found my tens unit and will see if that helps. Hubby thinks I stopped the Norco to soon. ?

Hey doreeeeeen!

Today I called my pharmacist and told him all the meds I’m taking trying to relieve the major discomfort and he said I really should talk to my dr so I typed up an email to my GP. He said no ibuprofen and take an extra Celebrex at night and to take two neurontins at night and one in the morning. I will call my surgeon tomorrow and ask for more Norco.

I also had PT today which I was stressing about but I’ve had this guy before and he put me at ease. I didn’t do what I didn’t want to and the only hands on he did was massaging and it was actually very nice. Came home and took my meds and iced and elevated and watched 4 stooges lol then rested with my eyes closed. Couldn’t sleep but was relaxed.
 
I watched so many movies on Netflix during my recovery, I had to think “did it really happen, or did I watch it on Netflix?” I had “ brain fog”for a while as well. Btw, I used a TEN unit on my knee that was helpful. Try to stay optimistic, this recovery time will past.
 
@Doreen1063, you don't have to quote a whole post to respond to it. Just go down to the bottom and start writing.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom