THR Dopey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just looking at my incision, hip and leg in the mirror as I was getting ready for bed just now - the incision is healed, but I'm surprised at the fact that my thigh is still swollen. But then I thought, oh, there's a whole lot of healing going on in there still - and I'm sure that's exactly what you're experiencing! We're gonna pray that those "zings" are just an indication of nerves that have been "assaulted" from surgery, and will calm down soon! One day at a time.... and here and then a little driving and shopping, too! xox
:)
My leg is also slightly swollen --makes my cellulite feel more lumpy :oyvey: Too hot here for anything other than loose clothes so it's not an issue clothing-wise.
PT gave me some stretches to do for the inguinal ligament --often the culprit in the nerve issue. If nothing else it makes my gait a little better.
Still have a long ways to go in recovery and taking it one day at a time. Trying to be patient :hairpulling: Find that if I do too much one day then I have to take it easy for a few days. Still icing at times especially later in the afternoon.
Lots of good books to read on my Kindle --best thing ever for hands with arthritis!
I need to attack my sewing room as I have quilts to make for the grands for Christmas --they want flannel ones. G-daughter is into Minnie Mouse and g-son wants Super Mario. I'm keeping it simple......
 
I hope the stretches give you relief. I am still swollen and lumpy on my incision too, hopefully it doesn't stay that way. I have quite a few books on my Kindle it is so convenient. I am currently reading Voyager the 3rd book in the Outlander series. I should be done with it but, at the beginning of recovery all I did was watch "trash tv" lol! We do we can to get through this right.
 
First day in PT --felt good to be around other people. Met another lady from my church at the clinic who has the same nerve irritation -- good to meet someone with the same issue.
 
Saw family doc: He lowered the dose of Lyrica to 50 mg once a day at night and gave me a sample pack. Said only complaints he has is of crazy dreams and to stop taking it if that occurs. He is a wonderful reassuring man. Also suggested a TENS unit for the thigh --as we cannot find ours I've ordered a new one.
 
Time is flying by! PT stretching is definitely improving my gait. Lyrica, and or PT, appears to be helping the nerve irritation a little. Life is good. Still feel that there is a long ways to go before "the hip" slips into the background; with both knees it was about the one year point. I am finding the hip recovery much more difficult than the knees --not from a pain perspective but from a feeling of "I'm not sure of what I can do".
 
So glad to hear " life is good"!!! You deserve to be well on your way. Hope the thigh TENS helps you along the way to putting this process into high gear and getting it behind you.
 
Oh my did I overdo it yesterday. :bignono: My goal was to walk part way down our shopping mall --about 1/4 mile --with a normal gait. I did not get very far when the wobbling began. I wonder if some of it is to do with the Lyrica?
I kept going as I had to return an item to a store and then had to make it back again to where I was parked --not good. :gaah: Rested for the afternoon then we had a football game that night so more walking and lots of sitting. Unlovely pink swollen area at top of thigh. Thigh zinging up a storm until after midnight:blackcloud:even with the Lyrica!
Needless to say I'm in bed icing and elevating today :ice:
When I began my hip journey I always thought that it would be "easier" than having a knee done. While some aspects have been I did not mentally prepare for the challenges of this recovery. :good-bad: I see my OS on October 11 so am ready for a good chat :tiredwheel:
 
So sorry, Jen. It's hard learning our limits. I learn new ones every single day. I'm joining you today and tomorrow in having a good, healing rest. :sleeep:
 
I'm so sorry you had such a rough Saturday, and so hope you're feeling much, much better today, some 3 days later. It was so good to read that you've received some relief with the TENS and the Lyrica - hopefully the rest and ice has brought you back to the level of progress you were enjoying!
Like you, I don't think I was mentally prepared for what this recovery would require. (I'm guessing you had a much better idea, having had the TKRs. Prior to my THR, I'd never had a surgery in my life.) I didn't imagine it would be as challenging as it was! I think I was so focused on getting rid of the joint pain, that I didn't fully take in what the actual recovery would be - more discouraging days than I expected, to be honest. So glad it's over and that we're on the mend; every step forward brings us closer to full recovery!!!! :-)
 
@DizzyBlond This recovery has been mentally much more difficult than the TKRs. Feel as though I'm on a constant seesaw with no two days anywhere near similar --quite bizarre :good-bad:
Today is a very good day --first major relief I've had from the zinging. I'm getting minor zaps but this gives me hope. Saturday I was ready to buy a rollator :hissy: .
Not sure what caused the change but on Monday afternoon I went back to the gym for the first time and did my low impact upper body routine and used the bike for a little while. I think stretching the abdomen may have loosened up whatever is compressing the nerve. I'm praying for continued relief. :praying:
PT has added in balance exercises (at my request) and continues to massage the scar. Need to show OS the light pink swollen area I have a little lateral to the scar when I see him next week. Hopefully just me reacting to having a new body part.
We are on the mend and making progress however circuitous the route. It reminds me of an up and down hike, with glorious views, we took on an island in New Zealand --so glad we did it but glad when we were finished and having a lovely glass of wine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom