Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
To all who had mentioned eating... ding, ding, ding...
and to all who had mentioned taking meds on time.... ding, ding, ding...
Anyone going through this like me, take note. These folks are correct.

Full disclosure. Prior to surgery I would eat one meal a day. Sometimes I would even skip a day. I've been doing it nearly all my adult life. Just how I did it. Prior to yesterday, I had not eaten anything since the day before at lunch time.
I ended up getting back on my meds as prescribed (I was really lax on all of them) and ate a healthy meal and a healthy snack later... Feel like a new man now. I did wake up at this odd hour now... it's nearly 2AM here... but got up and wandered about. Feel great. Going to go back to sleep and hopefully wake up feeling as good or better than I do now.
 
HI Rob and Congrats on the new Hips!
from a fellow bilat, i will confirm that eating is very important now,
your body needs the fuel to recover. you don't have to overeat,
just make sure you body has a good steady stream through the day,
it will help with any other meds you take also.
it sounds like you are progressing, it just takes time, and at this point
that is your job, to recover! don't rush things, listen to your body, and
you will be fine.
 
New update...
Wed was ok... figured out the eating thing. I did have a moment that was scary. Went downstairs early morning to log in to work. Within 10 min, started getting dizzy like I was going to pass out. Waited it out a bit... got up and started to come upstairs... and almost passed out. Hobbled backwards so I could fall in my chair. Scary because I'm home alone during the day. Finally ended up getting back upstairs after several attempts and sitting on the stairs in between trials. Ate and drank lots of water and was fine. The rest of the day was uneventful.

Thursday... Felt GREAT... no walker... getting around just fine. No pain, just a little stiffness. But last night... no sleep for me. Knees and lower back was simply aching beyond belief. Dont know what to think of that. Literally got less than an hour sleep.
Got up this morning and ate breakfast... came downstairs and logged in to work. Still a little stiffness, and knees and lower back a little sore. I suppose my body is compensating somehow, not sure.
Really thought I was on the mend yesterday until that night. Hoping I can sleep tonight.
 
@rob3dr sounds like your body is giving you messages - it needs fuel to heal! You have just had very major surgery. Eating a balanced diet will give you the energy to heal from all the trauma. And please don't forget the Energy drain for THRs. It's real and unfortunately there is no ignoring it. This too shall pass!
 
I've been eating 3 good meals a day since Wed. The no sleep thing is common for me. I've been like that my whole life. Would be up wandering about at 2-3 in the morning. Just last night was lower back and knees. I'm thinking that my body compensated for so long for my hips that now it's in a little bit of shock. PT came today, we went for a walk outside, down the steps. Got about 19 steps and was walking down and up normally, not stepping feet together. Didnt even need the handrail. Walked around outside, no worries. PT got winded before I did. Thinking at this rate, I'll be outside tomorrow a bit. Got a new bow I'd like to try out!
 
Two week update... Been two weeks today since surgery. Most of the time all I feel is the tightening around where my new hips are when I walk, not a pain, just some tightening. Nothing bad. I get odd little pains now and then in my left leg behind my knee, but again, nothing bad. I gave up the walker last week and havent touched it since except to put it away in a closet. I can go up and down the steps as good now as I could prior to surgery, if not better. I can get in and out of bed without reaching down to manually lift my legs on the bed. Walking distances is not an issue. Bottom line.... I feel good. I'm getting more and more range of motion back each day. At times, I stand up and walk before I realize I have new hips... I'm starting to forget about it, which is good. I will have some tightness on occasion that I have to work through, but each day is getting better and I truly feel like I am recovering. I have PT tomorrow and will cancel future appointments as I can do the stuff on my own. I let the PT know last time and he agreed that I'm ready to be turned loose. I have cut back on the meds to about 1/4 of what I was taking, if that. Life is pretty good right now. If I progress as much in the coming week as I have this week, I'll 'feel' normal by then. I realize I'll still have to take it easy, but at least wont be 'thinking' about it.
Only logging this for anyone who may read it later... that first week is a bear... hang on, it does get better!
Thanks to all who have encouraged along the way and shared their experiences for those like me to benefit from.
 
Great news. Prayers you won't have no pain. Lucky u. I could not eat I was sick my 2 days lol


SonnysWife❤️
 
How are you doing one month post op @rob3dr? I also had bi-lateral THR beginning of December (lateral approach, left hip done on Dec 01 and right hip done on Dec 4th). I'm a very active 47 years old woman and can't wait to get back to a more active lifestyle again! Like you, I've been lucky, not much post-op pain, only stiffness and weakness. I'm still only doing the basic PT and waiting for my OS follow-up visit next week to hopefully be given the ok to start lateral movements, pool therapy and start increasing my range of motion! It's hard to do as little as possible but I do believe it's very important that we give our bodies time to heal from the inside. THR's are very invasive! Bones need to grow, muscles need to rebuild themselves and our brain & nervous system need to process all this major trauma! Nutrition is also so important, quick recovery is only possible with a good diet, sound exercises, proper rest and positive attitude! Good luck to you and continue sharing your journey!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well thank you for asking @Getnfit I'm doing well here! In fact, the right side, I dont even know anything has been done save for still a little swelling and numbness going down from the incision. The left, I can feel... but normal daily activities are a breeze... walking, getting up, etc... I can trot up and down stairs without a glitch, not even holding rails and even doing two steps at a time..haha... I had my first post op on Wed and doc said I was making an excellent recovery, but warned me against doing too much as I still need to have time for the bones to grow into the textured areas of the prosthetics. I plan on going to a nearby martial arts school to teach a boxing clinic next week, though I'll have to take it easy. Still... will be good to be out and be a little bit of what I was prior.
As far as range, my forward flexibility is doing well... sideways...not as much. I can do a slow side kick out at just about thigh level, where a year ago, I could go well above head level...so I've a bit to go, but getting better!!!
Hope you are doing well also!!! Appears you are!
 
Wow, you are doing well! Just don't overdo things - we've all been there and it can really set you back mentally, makes you feel vulnerable all over again! 2 years out and my titanium hip gets forgotten until I set off alarms at the airport! It's the rest of me now that needs fixing.
I still get that odd "fizzing" sensation in my hip, not often now and usually when I am very tired, had not heard of it until I asked a q on here!
Best wishes from England (the old one!)
Anne
 
@Nannyannie Thank you, Ma'am! Yes, I am trying to be careful not to overdo, but it's difficult when I want to go all out..haha
You are the second person I've heard mention the fizzing sensation. Like you, I only now get it when I've been doing a lot of walking or near the end of the day. It doesnt bother me and I was a little disappointed when it went away..haha Still not sure why.
 
Best way I can describe it is like it was buzzing or fizzing without the movement. I noted it in my hips pretty much immediately after surgery. It didnt bother me and I didnt really think anything of it. Then another member asked about it and I replied that I knew what she was talking about... and now this other member mentioned it.
but yeah.... felt like the implants were vibrating or fizzing.... really was kinda cool!
 
Hey there @rob3dr. How's it all going? I just wanted to let you know that I started back at training this week and, damn, it feels good. Until this week I've convinced myself that I can't do much in the way of exercise apart from walking, so, when I decided to go to class on Tuesday I didn't have great expectations...but it was awesome. I discovered I was able to more than 90% of the class and already my range of motion is improved in my new hip - butterfly stretches were a breeze and I can finally get a proper glute stretch on my right side.

Really keen to know where you're up to.

Clare
 
Hi @MissMoo ! Wow... you're back at training already!? Doc said I needed to wait... :-( I'm at 99.9% for everyday stuff, but not able to go back to class. I was also advised against stretching just yet. I can get kicks at my waist level now, but that's really about it. Granted, I've not tried to do much more since I was told not to. I'm hopeful that I can get back at it soon though. Great to hear you are back in full swing!!! You mentioned the butterfly stretches and that's what is killing me now. Used to, I could sit and have both knees touching the floor... right now, I'm a little more than half way there, just afraid to go much further until I get the OK from the doc! Really inspiring to see that you're back at it though! I hope to be soon! Thanks for asking!
 
Still you did have bilateral @rob3dr and posterior approach I think, so I can understand you and the doc wanting to wait a little longer before you start to push it. I didn't specifically ask, at my 6 week check (which was a 2 minute phone call), so I'm not feeling any guilt:loll:He did say don't run yet - so I'm not.

Maybe its a wacko theory but I thought I'd share it because its had me wondering. Have you read how people with amputations etc have 'phantom pain' in the limb thats no longer there? I think I experience some of that just now. I was practising poomsae at home yesterday before class and was struggling with any kind of side-kick at all because it hurt - just like it hurt before surgery. However, when I got to class I was producing fairly decent kicks with no pain at all. Either that or I was just really well warmed up in class....which is the more logical explanation :whistle:
 
I had the anterior approach... but yes, bilateral. My right side feels 100% fine... my left is still giving me a little pain now and then, nothing bad, just can tell the left is taking longer to heal than the right. I think if I just had the right done, I'd be back to normal right now..haha
The last week here has been really cold and I've noticed 'joint pain' in my hips from the weather, but I dont quite understand how... but I'm feeling something odd for sure..haha
Another explanation for your better kicks in class may be that as a higher rank, you put more on yourself while in class. I know that when I'm working out at home, there is no way I'll push myself the way I do when I'm running a work out at class..haha..
I've got another f/u with the doc at the end of this month so hopefully he will say I can stretch and 'do' things...haha
 
@MissMoo
Hi just reading your post about working out. I know your Doctor told you not to run yet, but I was wondering ,does he have reservations about your running in the future or is he "all in?"
I used to be a runner and that was the one thing my surgeon told me I had to stop after my first THR. (7 years ago). It was depressing and hard but I did it. I think as I remember he just said it would wear a lot quicker. Of course here I am 7 years later having a revision anyway-- but not for that reason. Just wondered.
Thanks and much good luck to you!
Birdie 53
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom