Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Done
@rob3dr, but there are plenty of dumb answers. Ask all the questions you want at any time. Answering questions is one of the main things we're here for. Be sure and read the articles you were given links to---most of your questions will be answered in them---and some questions you didn't even know you had.:heehee:.
 
@rob3dr When surgeon does a bilateral procedure one side gets done first - then patient gets flipped over so other side is top most. And so the first hip is done, dressing applied, and being sort of squashed while 2nd one is getting replaced. So first done leg is going to be more bruised and probably more swollen than the 2nd one ..... at least that is how it was when I had my BTHR - and that is how my surgeon explained it all to me. My right leg (first done) was much more traumatized than the left leg .... and as bsilvers told you the bruising lasts for a week or two .... and probably will look worse before it goes away. Before mine totally went away I had a day or two where the lower right leg looked black! Rather scary but visiting nurse/PT/OT gal I had said it was normal - just tissue trauma that would go away. Icing helps GREATLY with the swelling as does elevating both legs toes above nose!!!
Oh and the fatigue and sudden attacks of "gotta have a nap" - that's normal too. Just your body telling you healing is taking place - and that does use up an awful lot of energy! That will also go away but may linger for several weeks or even months. After all you have not had one major surgery .... you have had 2 major surgeries!! Just go with the flow, and don't worry - BoneSmarties are here to support and answer any and all questions :chillpill: Sounds to me like you are doing just great!
 
@rob3dr When surgeon does a bilateral procedure one side gets done first - then patient gets flipped over so other side is top most. And so the first hip is done, dressing applied, and being sort of squashed while 2nd one is getting replaced. So first done leg is going to be more bruised and probably more swollen than the 2nd one .....

THAT makes perfect sense!!!! Thank you! My concern wasnt the bruising so much as 'where' I was bruised. I dont know another way to put it nicely, but I'm bruised on bits that wasnt operated on, if you know what I mean... and that kind of freaked me out a bit. The rest of the bruising isnt an issue (an makes for a nice pic..haha) but thank you for the explanation. That makes perfect sense to me and explains why one side looks far worse than the other!
 
@rob3dr As for the parts that were not operated on being bruised .... um I think I know what you are referring to .... think "squashed" between 2 legs with surgeon having to use instruments of power .... and having to apply pressure to get the jobs done. I'm sure that bruising will also go away :)
 
ok, that makes sense then.... would have been nice to have been warned! haha... I noticed it today after a shower and was mortified!
Looking forward to more mobility tomorrow!
 
Bruising is a very unique thing---I fell and hit my head above my left eye---had an ostrich egg until ice brought it down to hen egg size. As a result of the hard bump, I developed two black eyes and bruising all the way down my cheeks to chin level. I looked like someone had punched me out all over my face when the only place impacted was a small area on my forehead. Took two months for all the bruising to go away.
 
Welcome @rob3dr you are truly bionic now here is a little more reading for you - knowledge is power!

Slow and steady and remembering that recovery from a joint replacement can be a marathon and not a sprint gives one permission to recover in one's own timeframe :)

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and approximate timeframes for the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutrional-snippets
 
Hi @rob3dr It sounds like you are doing quite well with both hips. Yay for you!!!!!
I am in awe of you folks who are able to do this in one surgery.
:yes!::yes!::yes!:
 
feeling vulnerable. I've never been incapacitated like this and it was a blow to the ego for sure.
This is a major issue for many. So frustrating! If you read my recent recovery thread I was going crazy trying to get past the lack of mobility. It does happen but not with any kind of pushing yourself.

Re: bruising - you get pretty man handled during this procedure. Then bits are pulling and pushed into place. Bruising in many areas is totally normal. Icing and elevating does help.
 
Just a little update for today so anyone following for their own information may benefit....
Woke up today in good spirits... feel more tight than sore. Did my PT twice today. Walked a bit. Need no help getting up out of bed or chair, no problems there. Going up and down a long flight of stairs is no problem. I feel a little pain in my knees, but I know I have a torn meniscus in my right knee anyway so that could be it.
Appetite isnt as normal. I just dont feel hungry. I am experiencing what others have re the meds and the bathroom...ugh. Have drank a half gallon of prune juice in the last two days and lots of water... even some 'all natural' (hippie) laxatives... but nothings movin.
I am finding the PT exercises to be less challenging now, but not upping the intensity, just keeping range of motion constant. Nice to move without hearing (and FEELING) crunching and grinding!
Even went out on the porch and shot the bow a little bit. Shooting buddy came by and we threw some arrows downrange... but I only lasted about 10 min and was tired so went back in and sat down.
All in all, feeling good! Going to telework from home tomorrow so I wont be so far behind when I go back in next week (fingers crossed!!!)
 
How cool @rob3dr...you're an Archer too! What type of bow do you shoot?

Sounds like you're making good progress and things are coming along nicely. Are you still taking opiate-based meds? I think I was saved the eternal constipation by taking only Targin and them only for a few days (which contains naloxone) and is meant to stave off the worst of the digestive issues.

I'm on Day 12 now and feel like I could easily go back to work - however I'm not! I've booked this time off and I'm jolly well taking it :)

Don't worry about not feeling hungry. If you're anything like me your activity levels just dropped by about 80% in these last few days; my body is just saying 'hey I don't need any of this - I've got no use for it!' :)
 
@MissMoo Hey! I shoot all manner of bows! Currently in the stable is the following...
Compound bow 70lb
Compound bow 60lb
laminate longbow 60lb
laminate longbow 45lb
hickory longbow 50lb (self made)
bamboo backed Ipe longbow 50lb
recurve bow 50lb
recurve bow 55lb
recurve bow 25lb
Mongolian Horse bow 50lb
Crossbow 180lb
Love them all! Dont hunt with them, not practiced up enough... just target shoot!
I was taking 5mg Percoset every 5-6 hours, but havent taken anything today... havent felt the need to. No 'pain' per say, just some tightness. I've not been as diligent with the ice as I should, and I know that.
I can take the time off, but I know I'll be behind. I've already accessed work from home computer now 3 times checking in. Dont want my staff to completely screw off while I'm gone! Plan on driving in next week.
I'm actually glad my appetite is down! I dont want to gain weight with all this inactivity. I have fears that I'll balloon up like a puffer fish from all the eating and no working out..haha.... right now, it looks about like it... looks like someone stuck an air hose in my tail and turned the nozzle on... butt and thighs are swollen up..haha Not got on the scales though, but would imagine I've lost a little weight to be honest.
Tired level is out of sight though... just 10-15 min of activity and I'm ready for a nap... then an hour or so, I'm ready to go again!
 
That's so cool! We shoot traditional Longbow, although I have done some recurve shooting and would love to do more. My husband fancies himself as something of a bowyer too and has made quite a few bows now - whereas I'm the 'arrows' girl. My main bow is a bamboo backed 45lb-er but we haven't done too much shooting since moving out to Australia - must get back to it!

Good to hear your pain levels have dropped but, even now, I'd say start using more ice - I swear that's the reason I had so few issues; I was obsessive about it [emoji2]

I'm lucky with work that I know I have a great team on whom I can rely - I reckon if I showed my face in the office they'd chase me right back out too! Have you driven yet? I got back behind the wheel on Thursday; it was difficult at first but only because my quad felt so damn tight and it eased off eventually.

I'm actually not finding I'm tired at all and I've been pretty full on the last few days. I wonder if you'll find you feel more lively now you've stopped the percocet? Of course you have been through the mill compared with me and I take my hat off to you - I think it's awesome having both done at once. I don't know about you but I just can't wait until it all settles and I get to try some stuff that had become just impossible, like sitting in a butterfly pose or a really decent turning kick [emoji16]

My hip is making a bunch of random clicky sounds this morning but I'm not sure if that's related to the ironing, dog-washing and floor-mopping I did earlier [emoji15] Still, at least I'm sitting down now.

I have lost a couple of pounds in weight - that'll be goodbye lean muscle most likely!! Oh well...plenty of time to build it back up[emoji14]

Enjoy the rest of your day
 
Hey, if he's made more than one bow, I'd call him a bowyer! I've ruined 2 staves trying to make one... so I have three staves in my one bow..haha... maybe one day I'll get it right! Tried my hand at some arrows and loved the results... my issue is I put my own spin on them creative-wise and now I think they are 'pretty' and dont want to shoot them..haha
Yeah, I keep forgetting about the ice.. must do that tomorrow while working at home! I figure when the swelling goes down, I'll feel 100% better!
Hoping that quitting the percoset will increase my stamina a bit.. routine has been eat a little wander a little... take percoset and nap a little. Rinse and repeat!
I know what you mean re the kicks! I tried to put myself into a side kick position, but that was a no-go! Need some time for that one for sure!!!
yeah, any noises would freak me out right now... my first walk, I heard a couple of creaks and while it didnt hurt, if freaked me out a bit. Reckon was just all the parts mating in proper?
Wouldnt worry about building back muscle, if that's you in the pic, you appear to be in excellent shape so I'd imagine you'll be right in the thick of things in no time flat!
 
@rob3dr ,
From what I remember it was like 6 days before I went to the bathroom. I was freaking out because I am pretty regular and I drank prune juice, the pills they give you, and even some ex-lax and that was a mistake because when I finally was able to go I was making many trips because I took too much stuff. omg hahaha! funny stuff thinking back.
 
update for today.... not good. I had been using the walker about 50/50 and feeling pretty good. This morning I woke up after maybe 3 hours sleep last night... planned on doing some work. Got in my walker and immediately noticed I was stiffer and sorer than yesterday... made it downstairs to my office. Logged in to work.. within 30 min, I was feeling dry mouth, shaky and sweating. Decided to come back upstiars to my chair. Got up and took two steps and felt like I was going to pass out... backed up to my chiar, sat down and waited it out. Finally made it back upstairs. Took temp, no fever... took a pain pill and was knocked out till just about now.. 5 hours later..
today was the first day since surgery I felt like I went backwards rather than forwards in recovery. What the heck?? Feel 'ok' now, but not as good as yesterday and so not going to try to take the stairs again. PT scheduled for tomorrow.
 
@rob3dr ,

I'm sorry to hear that today is not so good for you. From what I've read you will have some good and some bad days. Do you think you may have done too much the day before? I found it very hard to not roam around the house too much the first week and it was a really hard not to. The beginning of the 2nd week I went to Home Depot with my wife and mother and I opted not to take the scooter cart and about 1/2 thru realized that ended up being a mistake because it really was too much too quick.
 
within 30 min, I was feeling dry mouth, shaky and sweating. Decided to come back upstiars to my chair. Got up and took two steps and felt like I was going to pass out... backed up to my chiar, sat down and waited it out. Finally made it back upstairs. Took temp, no fever... took a pain pill and was knocked out till just about now.. 5 hours later..
Welcome to recovery @rob3dr . Your body is telling you that you are moving too fast. Scale back, rest, ice, elevate and meds. Try again another day. This recovery is all about finding your limits, scaling back and trying again. Slow and steady. Way too early for working from home.
 
@rob3dr Adding to what bsilvers and Jaycey said ..... when you had that episode of dry mouth, shaky etc - how long had it been since you'd had anything to eat? Have you been drinking enough fluids? You'd mentioned earlier that you had not been feeling real hungry since the surgery .... but it is very important for you to eat regularly and stay well hydrated. Recovering from surgery is a major energy drain and requires serious fuel to recuperate well!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom