THR Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

@dogchick : I remember the first time I went grocery shopping (almost 2 weeks post op) and it was exhausting and I also remember the shopping cart. I felt like I was walking funny and it was much better this past Saturday. Just going out in the car sometimes exhausted me. I actually feel it if we’re out & I’m sitting!

We have a friends birthday party this Saturday; it’s late afternoon & even tho I’ll be mostly sitting, I’m staying home during the day so I can enjoy the party.

Use the crutch for as long as you need to. Your PT should be able to help you transition.
 
Hi @dogchick I had revision surgery on July 3rd too, and just read your last post. It seems to me you are doing very very well! Being off the opioids is terrific -- I am too, now, but of course if I need a 1/2 of one at night I will take it without hesitation. My recovery has been good this time around, but my first recovery was also smooth, except for constant pain that never left, as over time unfortunately my implant loosened.

I don't think we can compare our recovery rates to one another, we all are so different and as @Layla said, we don't know what other factors exist for people who are post surgery. I have a friend who told me a few weeks ago of his neighbor who had double hip surgery and was training for the Boston Marathon 4 weeks later! I can't even imagine that is within protocol, and I am sure you have heard stories like that too. I almost don't believe it, and I certainly couldn't conceive of doing that myself, now that I am at the 4 week mark.

I am using a walking stick, but am told to use a crutch later in the day if it gets to be too much to use just the stick. I haven't really done more than PT and walking around my yard and in my house, so I am thrilled to hear of you getting out and about so well. My husband works and I haven't yet been cleared to drive myself, so staying around the house is what I do best right now! I know this will end soon. But even just being up and about at home exhausts me beyond beyond beyond my wildest imaginings. It is unreal. I just don't have any real long term stamina. When I wake up I feel really good, almost normal when I do nothing (!!), but the minute I start to move I can feel that I have had recent surgery and that annoys me greatly. But it is also to be expected and I have to remind myself how well things to date are going. And reading--well, I have only just started the other day to read a book; I couldn't concentrate enough over the past few weeks to read even one page, and I am normally a voracious reader. And I haven't visited with anyone other than the visiting nurses and the PT person who come to my house, so engaging for an hour as you did is just great. I did talk with a friend for 45 minutes on the phone today...so that was an achievement!

I had to haul my leg around with my hand too for three years on and off after my first surgery-- first because the muscles were weak right after surgery, and then because the implant hurt too much when I moved my leg on its own. But even with a loose implant I got to the point where I could pick up my leg on its own to get into the car, lift it in the shower etc, so just give it time--whatever it takes, your body will let you know. I figure that true recovery takes a long time, and whatever you need to do to achieve it is just fine. And if you need a crutch even in class, well, so be it, but that is a few weeks off, you still have plenty of time. So just weighing in here, I think you are doing great, you are working at it and getting out and about and really, what more can we expect at this point?? I share in your frustration that at 4 weeks we aren't doing more, and I guess we have to get used to it, especially when the plateau effect comes, too. Take care and have a great night!
 
Thanks for the book recommendation @dogchick- I've made a note of the book. I've read a lot since the surgery and enjoy a good mystery. I'm working my way through the James Patterson Women's Mystery Club series along with a couple of historical fiction and a couple of yoga and mediation type books during recovery. Especially during the weeks where our AC was out, I would cocoon under the bedroom ceiling fan and sit on the bed and read the afternoons away! Someone on the forums asked about book recommendations a couple of weeks ago but I could never find the post again to respond.

You are right where you are supposed to be and it sounds like you are doing great. I enjoy your posts! I'm sending some good morning wishes and healing energy to you!:dogsniff:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You are doing great @dogchick and great update. I can relate because at times I wish I was farther along. You have progressed to no opiods and that is awesome. I do the same still a few Tylenol in the am. Some of us don't get the muscle strength back as fast as others, but it will come. Later, you will look back and be happy on how far you have come . Enjoy the rest of your week.
 
I'll get there, I know...with....that dreaded word...Patience
I was trying to write something wise and sympathetic here about the importance of patience, but I just can't. I get it. We want it now! After a while of watching the days go by, we just want to turn that magical corner when we feel energetic and awesome and full of purpose and joie de vivre, dangit, especially when we read about what everybody else is doing. Fortunately, while we fret, there's something inside us that knows...

Winter is coming.

No no no - wrong punchline. Watching too much HBO.

The good times are coming.
 
Well, I guess I lied...I have been SOOO wiped out today! Maybe I hit that exhaustion again, or maybe I could have done too much over the last few days? I don't know, but this is the pitts! :sigh: I went to PT and practically got teary-eyed when I was talking to her, just from pure exhaustion. :boohoo: I get weepy, unfortunately, when I get this overly tired. I just want to sleep all day long.

I have read everyone's comments here, and I just want to say thank you for your encouragement and tales of your own experiences. I'm just too out of it to actually type out replies right now. @chalcedonian1 Thank you for your reply, I have a lot I want to say after reading your post, but that will have to wait until later. Thank you for stopping by. :flwrysmile:
 
Get some sleep :yawn: :sleep:
We'll be here when you're feeling more energized.
Energy drain and fatigue are normal. It will pass in due time.
You're body is using all its energy to repair, just as it should and our best healing happens while we're sleeping.
So snooze away!
@dogchick
 
Still on the tired side today. I didn't do anything other then daily stuff like getting dressed, grabbing a yogurt for breakfast, grabbing a quick lunch, binge-watching Netflix (Death in Paradise - currently just started watching Season 1 out of 7 seasons). I did make some sausage gravy and biscuits for dinner (requested by the family, I showed Pup-Prince #2 how to make it, so I had help) It's one of their favorites. Last week, I actually showed Pup Prince #1 how to do it, and typed out the instructions for him so whenever he ever decides to try living on his own, he has the instructions for how to make something he really enjoys. I got the satisfaction that he would be able to do some cooking on his own, and I got his willing help to make it. Plus the wonderfully happy, smiling Pup prince #1 face that I love so much, when he saw I typed it all out for him. :roseshwr:

I am stubborn, :dubious: and when I get something in my head, Dogdude knows better than to try to talk me out of it. He was not very happy with me tonight. :sigh: I told him that I was going to try and get a shower without the shower chair tonight. He was NOT in favor of this at all and gave his reasons. (tub floor might be slippery, if I drop something I won't be able to pick it up, etc). I told him I was tired of only getting showers once a week and having sponge baths the rest of the week. It's a pain in the butt to get the shower bench from the basement into the the bathroom. I always have to wait for him to do it, and he works so much and always has so much to do that he's wiped out after work. I hate making him do more. I told him I already know that I can get in and out of the tub with the use of the crutch (on the outside of tub). I told him that the floor is textured, so it's not slippery. I told him I would bring my grabber tool in case I need it, even though I can use the golfers stance to pick things up. We have a built in grab bar on the wall of the shower, a little on the low side, but good for stabilizing and if I have to pick something up. Clearly, I was adamant about this shower. I told him at the very least, I want to wash my hair, and I'm sick of doing it in the kitchen sink, it hurts my back to bend like that. So.....I got my very first standing up shower tonight! :yes!: I did really good too! I had my walker right next to the tub, just in case I needed extra support and I put my towels on it for easy reaching. I was able to stand and take a full shower without any instability, although toward the end, I was a little bit on the shakey side. But I got out of the shower, and sat on the toilet seat to dry off and rest a bit before finishing up with the hair and facial moisturizer, ear drying, etc. Plus, it's so much easier to get dressed, the lower part of my body, when I'm sitting on the toilet seat. :yes: Dogdude couldn't help but check on me....twice. I don't mind, though. :) So, other than being tired and being a SPUD all day, I still achieved something that I didn't think I'd be able to do at this point. :egypdance:

I have not seen the chickens :chuck: all week, actually, it's probably been most of last week too, because of rain (slippery grass) and the humidity has been really bad here. I don't do well in the heat when there is humidity, I don't breathe well, and my sugar drops causing me to be shaky and weak, and it only takes a few minutes for me right now to feel that way, so I'm missing the chickens. I have some yummy treats I want to give them, but need to wait. Maybe tomorrow morning I can run something out to them before PT. That might work. Ok, so now, I'm off to the bedroom to relax and binge some more on Netflix. Have a good night all! :mooncat:
 
@dogchick , I know just what you mean about a shower and standing.. I feel much cleaner for some reason. Im down to every other day so it's not to bad, washing at the sink on the off day. The humidity in Warminster,Pennsylvania is also very bad. Lasted only 5 minutes sitting with the pups in the yard. Even they didn't want to be out. Doesn't look like the next few days is going to be aby better humidity wise. Keep cool!
 
@dogchick. Pleased you managed your shower safely.

We love Death in Paradise :yes!: and have watched all episodes so far. Sara Martins who plays Camille was born about an hour from us.

Today we may hit record all time high temperatures for the Mediterranean (at 10.25am we are already 87F way above normal for us)) so plan on staying in the a/c for the next few days but have to go out Monday to see my OS for consultation and review of my lumbar MRI and hopefully he will give me a date for my Hip Revision. :beg:

Have a peaceful weekend.
 
Last edited:
@dogchick glad you got a standing shower! A few things: get a tub mat. Yes you got a shower without one but now you’re going to want more standing showers. A tub mat is a must have. Can your husband install more grab bars? Best thing we did. As my husband says, none of us is getting any younger & you don’t know if other joint replacements may be in your future.
 
Congrats on the shower milestone. I had no fear of standing in my shower since I'd done it back in 2013 with a broken ankle non weight bearing so being able to put weight on my right was so much easier. My shower also has the built in grab bar & being short (5' tall) it's perfectly good for me. I've been showering every other day, it's the best part of my day so relaxing. I have a long handled back scrubber that I attached the loofa to do i can wash my lower legs & feet.

Cooking with your son sounds wonderful. I'm still trying to get my daughter to open a can of tuna. She will cook only a few things. Pizza, Mac n cheese, burgers, grilled cheese &,brownies. Hoped she would want to learn more soon.

Have a good night.
 
@dogchick sounds like you are doing great! Aren't showers the best!? Luckily we have a step in shower so I take one every day...I even shaved my legs the other day! Simple pleasures.

Speaking of simple pleasures, wish I could make biscuits and gravy. It's sad as I was raised in South Alabama and can't make them!

Teach those boys how to cook! Their wives one day will appreciate it.

I totally understand the rain part, we've gotten 7" in last 48hrs. Messed with my walking path!

Thank goodness for Netflix! I've binge watched The Ranch.

Rest up my friend, you are doing amazing job recovering!
 
@dogchick So there is some progress! This is very good indeed. When I first showered, standing up holding on to the walls and grab bar and then just my walking stick, I was hyperventilating ridiculously from the effort (still on opioids at that point). Now it is not much of a problem at all, your "shower" memory comes back to you (I do have a walk-in, I think I would still feel a little tentative hauling my leg over a tub). Every good increment helps. Re: being outside, no way--up here in MA it is too humid to go outside even later in the morning, I was outside at 6:30, but certainly not now--yucckkkk. Have a good day!
 
@chalcedonian1 I’m in NH....I hear you on the humidity. Wish it would leave, never to come back.

Re: hauling leg over tub: no walk in shower for me so here is how I do it. I had my left hip replaced. I stand with my left leg against tub, hold onto grab bar with left hand, bend leg at the knee, over into tub then put right leg in tub. Works for me!
 
@dogchick glad you got a standing shower! A few things: get a tub mat. Yes you got a shower without one but now you’re going to want more standing showers. A tub mat is a must have. Can your husband install more grab bars? Best thing we did. As my husband says, none of us is getting any younger & you don’t know if other joint replacements may be in your future.
I've been working on hubby getting a couple of grab bars for me, and I agree with your hubby. I feel like they would have been helpful even before my surgery. Especially when getting out of the shower. We do have a lower bar that was there when we bought the house, so it came with the shower/tub enclosure. I did use that a bit when I was turning around or had to bend down to pick something up.
 
@dogchick. Pleased you managed your shower safely.

We love Death in Paradise :yes!: and have watched all episodes so far. Sara Martins who plays Camille was born about an hour from us.

Today we may hit record all time high temperatures for the Mediterranean (at 10.25am we are already 87F way above normal for us)) so plan on staying in the a/c for the next few days but have to go out Monday to see my OS for consultation and review of my lumbar MRI and hopefully he will give me a date for my Hip Revision. :beg:

Have a peaceful weekend.
I really like the series. I'm in the second season now. It is amazing how they figure things out, and I like that it is also humorous not just boring. LOL! Wow! I guess it is warm there. Is it also very humid there? I can handle heat, I grew up in the desert, but the humidity KILLS me! Hope you enjoy your weekend as well.
 
@dogchick , I know just what you mean about a shower and standing.. I feel much cleaner for some reason. Im down to every other day so it's not to bad, washing at the sink on the off day. The humidity in Warminster,Pennsylvania is also very bad. Lasted only 5 minutes sitting with the pups in the yard. Even they didn't want to be out. Doesn't look like the next few days is going to be aby better humidity wise. Keep cool!
Are you guys anywhere near where all the flooding is happening? I hope not. I have a couple of friends in that area, and it's terrible!
 
Congrats on the shower milestone. I had no fear of standing in my shower since I'd done it back in 2013 with a broken ankle non weight bearing so being able to put weight on my right was so much easier. My shower also has the built in grab bar & being short (5' tall) it's perfectly good for me. I've been showering every other day, it's the best part of my day so relaxing. I have a long handled back scrubber that I attached the loofa to do i can wash my lower legs & feet.

Cooking with your son sounds wonderful. I'm still trying to get my daughter to open a can of tuna. She will cook only a few things. Pizza, Mac n cheese, burgers, grilled cheese &,brownies. Hoped she would want to learn more soon.

Have a good night.
Yes, our grab bar is fine for me too, but I would like one on the side just outside the shower to help me get over the tub. Hoping hubby will get one for me. I also have a long-handled scrubby that I've had for years, so it helps me wash my lower legs and feet.

My boys haven't really showed much interest in learning to cook things either. When they were little, of course they wanted to, but now that they are older, not so much. My oldest started showing interest in learning to cook some of our meals once I found out I was having surgery. He wanted to be able to help. Although, I knew he had is heart in the right place, I knew he wouldn't be cooking much. LOL! My youngest...well, I'm working on him and trying to get him interested too. Why learn to cook if mom or dad does it all the time? LOL!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom