THR Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

@Cassidy I wish my hair was shiny like my dog's fur too! :heehee:
@Apricot I was told by the nurses and PT, the compression socks were to prevent blood clots.
@Mojo333 and @Layla I FINALLY got to have a shower tonight! Felt so good! I will never take for granted the ability to take showers again! Now I'm in bed with no compression sock on...hoping Dogdude doesn't remember to tell me we need to put it on. :whistle:
@dogchick Took my first shower tonight 4 days post op. Shower chair in tub. Had to get hubby to help me up from it but all and all it was the best shower ever. It's funny I've slept on my back for the last 6 months so it's not bothering me that much. Though I do find myself looking forward to sleeping like a normal person again. Must look like I'm laid out for my funeral.. My biggest problem is doing the stairs. Not because it hurts but because big dog (Bear )wants to walk each step with me. Waits til I go to next one and then does each one with me. Such loving animals they are very empathetic.
 
@dogchick Took my first shower tonight 4 days post op. Shower chair in tub. Had to get hubby to help me up from it but all and all it was the best shower ever. It's funny I've slept on my back for the last 6 months so it's not bothering me that much. Though I do find myself looking forward to sleeping like a normal person again. Must look like I'm laid out for my funeral.. My biggest problem is doing the stairs. Not because it hurts but because big dog (Bear )wants to walk each step with me. Waits til I go to next one and then does each one with me. Such loving animals they are very empathetic.
Chocolate monster does the same thing when I'm trying to walk into the kitchen or down the hallway, she makes me go first and then she's right there behind me sort of pushing me along. LOL! If I had to step back, I'd probably step on her. :snork:
 
Today I have PT again. Hoping I get another leg massage, I feel like I could use it. It is on and off raining here in CT, so I thought I'd wear socks and the sneakers I bought before surgery. I needed help putting the socks on of course, and a little help putting the sneakers on. Well, it didn't take me long to realize that I had to take them off. They both felt a little too tight, even after loosening up the elastic laces a bit. So looks like it's the sandals for today. I also thought I'd just go with one crutch and show off my walking skills to my Physical Therapist, but as I'm looking out the window right now, it's pouring, so I'm thinking I should probably bring them both with me, just in case. Oh well, best laid plans and all. Hope y'all are having a happy Monday. :flwrysmile:
 
Today I have PT again. Hoping I get another leg massage, I feel like I could use it. It is on and off raining here in CT, so I thought I'd wear socks and the sneakers I bought before surgery. :flwrysmile:
Don't you have a sock assistance tool. Best thing ever invented. But you're right it's sandals today for me also. Raining and muggy here. So glad I bought those Teva sandals with the velcro works great for fat feet.
 
Don't you have a sock assistance tool. Best thing ever invented. But you're right it's sandals today for me also. Raining and muggy here. So glad I bought those Teva sandals with the velcro works great for fat feet.
No, never got a sock tool. Kind of wish I did though. I was tired of spending all my money on stuff I needed for surgery, so I didn't get one. :snork:
 
No, never got a sock tool. Kind of wish I did though. I was tired of spending all my money on stuff I needed for surgery, so I didn't get one. :snork:
I bought the hip kit off amazon and wish I had the sock thingie months ago.
 
@dogchick - You asked about the weather and I always say I am a living barometer. We have pretty stable weather in SoCal and little rain (drought). Still in the winter months when the temps drop and it's very damp, I would wake up more achy. Going to NorCal or mountains would be worse. I thought I was imagining it but did some Dr. Google checking and found a small body of research on weather and arthritis. Seems I am quite sensitive to weather changes. I grew up in the midwest in snow and tornadoes and am glad I'm not there now!

At https://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/tools-resources/weather - you can enter your zip code and get a reading of the pain risk that day for your area. It was validating to know I ached more for some reason! I don't know how it will be with the new hip.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @dogchick - You asked about the weather and I always say I am a living barometer. We have pretty stable weather in SoCal and little rain (drought). Still in the winter months when the temps drop and it's very damp, I would wake up more achy. Going to NorCal or mountains would be worse. I thought I was imagining it but did some Dr. Google checking and found a small body of research on weather and arthritis. Seems I am quite sensitive to weather changes. I grew up in the midwest in snow and tornadoes and am glad I'm not there now!

At https://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/tools-resources/weather - you can enter your zip code and get a reading of the pain risk that day for your area. It was validating to know I ached more for some reason! I don't know how it will be with the new hip.
Thank you @luvsibes I know I always had issues with weather before surgery, but wasn't sure if it still applied after surgery. Usually it has been my left hip that ached the most, but since that one was replaced, now I'm wondering if my right hip, which also has a bone spur, though not as big as the left one, will be the one aching. Thank you for that link, I had no idea that was even there! Today we are in the green low zone for pain. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:scare:Hi @dogchick ... sounds like you're doing well at 3 weeks out! Just wanted to let you know I'm so glad you mentioned your nerve block in your recovery post! I asked you about it, since I hadn't heard of it before...and was glad to know it should be an option for me. When my surgery center called to go through my medical history, I asked a few questions about anesthesia, including a nerve block. She said that wasn't an option for the hip- only for the knee. I said I knew it was possible to get a nerve block for the hip... so she checked with the anesthesiologist for me. He said my OS doesn't routinely order them for hips anymore, because he found they didn't always work. But said it would be no problem for me to request it, and they would include it. So glad I was armed with this info, because I really don't want to wake up in major pain. :yikes: I am a little surprised to hear that you still need Percoset at 3 weeks out.... I was thinking the opiates would only be needed the first two weeks. But hopefully by next week, that will be in the rearview mirror for you! One question- how long did your surgeon require you to not move hip beyond 90 degrees? I'm hoping it's just for the first 6-8 weeks!
 
I was tired of spending all my money on stuff I needed for surgery, so I didn't get one. :snork:
Preach! I hate to buy a bunch of stuff that gets used once and then Craigslisted, so I didn't get one either. It's summer, so I wear short tennis socks - easier to put on if I contort my self juuuuust right.

Seems I am quite sensitive to weather changes.
Funny thing - my new hip may have a barometer built in! More testing needs to be done, but it was certainly alive when the latest band of showers came thru.

One question- how long did your surgeon require you to not move hip beyond 90 degrees? I'm hoping it's just for the first 6-8 weeks!
Not to jump claim, but I think 6-8 weeks is normal. That 90º rule is a pain - by the 6th week I was violating it in petty ways all the time! (Do as I say not as I do, because I am a lifetime ODIC member. I have a card and everything.)
 
Preach! I hate to buy a bunch of stuff that gets used once and then Craigslisted, so I didn't get one either. It's summer, so I wear short tennis socks - easier to put on if I contort my self juuuuust right.

I never got the sock thing either for pretty much the same reason. I did get the dressing stick and I used that a lot those first few weeks. As far as socks, it doesn’t take that long before you can manage them unless you have restrictions and then I’m not sure how that works. If I needed socks on, I enlisted the help of my husband.
 
Preach! I hate to buy a bunch of stuff that gets used once and then Craigslisted, so I didn't get one either. It's summer, so I wear short tennis socks - easier to put on if I contort my self juuuuust right.


Funny thing - my new hip may have a barometer built in! More testing needs to be done, but it was certainly alive when the latest band of showers came thru.


Not to jump claim, but I think 6-8 weeks is normal. That 90º rule is a pain - by the 6th week I was violating it in petty ways all the time! (Do as I say not as I do, because I am a lifetime ODIC member. I have a card and everything.)

Arghhhh.. I have a 3 month limitation on the 90 degree, crossing mid-line, and rotating inward stuff! I also know I've violated the 90 degree thing more than a few times. Especially, when the grabber falls on the floor! I haven't mastered my left sock and tenni yet so that's pretty much the last thing hubby has to do before we go walk. Approaching 7 weeks Friday!
 
:scare:Hi @dogchick ... sounds like you're doing well at 3 weeks out! Just wanted to let you know I'm so glad you mentioned your nerve block in your recovery post! I asked you about it, since I hadn't heard of it before...and was glad to know it should be an option for me. When my surgery center called to go through my medical history, I asked a few questions about anesthesia, including a nerve block. She said that wasn't an option for the hip- only for the knee. I said I knew it was possible to get a nerve block for the hip... so she checked with the anesthesiologist for me. He said my OS doesn't routinely order them for hips anymore, because he found they didn't always work. But said it would be no problem for me to request it, and they would include it. So glad I was armed with this info, because I really don't want to wake up in major pain. :yikes: I am a little surprised to hear that you still need Percoset at 3 weeks out.... I was thinking the opiates would only be needed the first two weeks. But hopefully by next week, that will be in the rearview mirror for you! One question- how long did your surgeon require you to not move hip beyond 90 degrees? I'm hoping it's just for the first 6-8 weeks!
@Small1014 I'm glad my mention of a nerve block was helpful for you! As far as the Percocet, I think it's different for everyone, how long they are on the narcotic pain killers. My OS prescribed enough for me to still be using them right now. I had stopped using it while I still had the morphine. But once there was no morphine, I felt I needed the Percocet here and there. I don't use it every day, but some days are challenging and I do need it. But like I said, everyone is different in how they are recuperating. It's quite possible you may not need it past the 2 weeks.

My surgeon didn't really give me a time limit that I remember for the 90º restriction, but my understanding is that it is at least for 6 weeks or so. I have another appointment in August with him, so I guess I'll find out then.
 
Happy Three Week Anniversary! Time sure flies when we're having fun, doesn't it? :heehee:
In all seriousness though, I did find recovery to move more quickly than I anticipated.
I hope you have a nice day and great rest of the week!
@dogchick
 
Do you ever forget that you aren't walking like you used to, get up to do something and for a second wonder why it's such a struggle? Then realize, oh, I still need a crutch/walker/cane/stick?
I've been doing this a lot, especially since graduating to one crutch. I also keep forgetting I'm not supposed cross my ankles, :bignono: and find myself crossing them several times. Or, I try to climb into bed like I used to and get annoyed because I have to back up into bed instead of climbing in forward. :gaah:
 
That's what happens as you aren't in pain and recovering. It's the little things like you described that will catch all of us. Just have to concentrate and be mindful of what could happen if you continue to do those actions which could put you back a few weeks if you're lucky. I'm coming up on 3 weeks post and am in the same boat. The better we feel the more chance we have of undoing our good work. I caught myself using one crutch or trying no crutches. Neither are a good option just yet. Lying in bed and crossing my ankles, again this is a no no. But stop as I'm mid the manoeuvre. You're nearly there, another few weeks and it will be all over and you'll be back to normal and have your life to enjoy.
 
Congrats @dogchick - the 3 week mark was a turning point for me with my ability to walk and have good gait and some level of stamina. I still had sleep challenges but I actually was more alive as I titrated off the pain meds and began to have a regular bowel schedule again! The first couple of weeks are a total blur. I still use my cane when out and about because it makes folks give you a wider berth to get around! I actually have better gait (and no arm/shoulder pain) without it.

Keep up the good work and updates for us. Sending you hugs and Togo pup snuggles for a great day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Bull76! It does feel like my body is ready to get back to normal, and tricks the brain for a few seconds. As I was sitting here reading Facebook, I actually was sitting for probably a good 5 minutes before I realized I had my ankles crossed! OOPS! It's so hard not to cross the ankles, as that has been my norm for probably at least 20 years. LOL!

@luvsibes Aww! I LOVE pup snuggles! Thank you! Sending Kalia snuggles right back atcha! I am still unable to walk with a cane, it's super wobbly. But 1 crutch is fine, unless I'm walking on uneven ground. PT commented on the fact that I seem to be doing really well with the one crutch, speed, etc is good. Still working on the stamina, as whenever I am moving too much, I'll start to get sweaty and that leads to light-headedness and wooziness. That's the part that frustrates me. I wish I could sweat without the light-headedness. :heehee: I am only taking Percocet on PT days, mostly because mornings are my sorest part of the day, and Tylenol doesn't quite cut it if I'm doing PT. Movement helps, but to get to the point where movement helps, it is pretty painful, so hence the Percocet. I don't really need it on non-PT days though because I have time to let it work itself out. I'm getting there, slowly but surely, wish it was speedy and surely though. :snork: I'm not known for my patience. :giggle:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom