Ok, update at 11+ weeks. First off, a quick summary -
Week 10, for me, seemed to be the equivalent to week 6 in a "more usual" recovery (although as we know, we are all different).
At this point sudddenly I could stay up all day without the need to retire to bed to reduce unacceptable swelling and pain. Progress in ROM has moved at~5° a week and was today measured at the 100 -woohoo!!!
I can't drive my own car because the brake pedal is set so much higher than the accelerator and I can't move my foot position from one to the other fast enough to be safe. However, OH's car has the pedals in the same plane and is a doddle to move to one from the other.
I attended my appointment to see consultant at the scheduled 9 week point. If you remember he wanted me well over 90° by then, otherwise he wanted to do an MUA. I was still only pulling 90° max at this point and I had decided I would decline an MUA decision for a further 3 weeks, if he still thought it was appropriate.
Whilst we were still in the car park at the hospital, I got a call to say he was running 45 mins late after being delayed in surgery and I know that he had been double booking time slots to fit all his patients in. I immediately began flapping about the effects on my knee and flexion of the increased wait time on top of the 40 minute journey we had just done. OH suggested going in and rescheduling appointment for another 3 weeks, since that is what I would have said if he wanted the MUA to go ahead. So despite feeling a bit cheeky, that's what I did - and now, I'm so glad!
- ROM = 0° to 100°,
- Can walk outside for 20 mins without ill effect.
- Support now is a delicate walking stick
- Swelling reduced although still apparent
- I can drive!
- No MUA
Week 10, for me, seemed to be the equivalent to week 6 in a "more usual" recovery (although as we know, we are all different).
At this point sudddenly I could stay up all day without the need to retire to bed to reduce unacceptable swelling and pain. Progress in ROM has moved at~5° a week and was today measured at the 100 -woohoo!!!
I can't drive my own car because the brake pedal is set so much higher than the accelerator and I can't move my foot position from one to the other fast enough to be safe. However, OH's car has the pedals in the same plane and is a doddle to move to one from the other.
I attended my appointment to see consultant at the scheduled 9 week point. If you remember he wanted me well over 90° by then, otherwise he wanted to do an MUA. I was still only pulling 90° max at this point and I had decided I would decline an MUA decision for a further 3 weeks, if he still thought it was appropriate.
Whilst we were still in the car park at the hospital, I got a call to say he was running 45 mins late after being delayed in surgery and I know that he had been double booking time slots to fit all his patients in. I immediately began flapping about the effects on my knee and flexion of the increased wait time on top of the 40 minute journey we had just done. OH suggested going in and rescheduling appointment for another 3 weeks, since that is what I would have said if he wanted the MUA to go ahead. So despite feeling a bit cheeky, that's what I did - and now, I'm so glad!
Last edited by a moderator:
United Kingdom