TKR DLR recovery #2

@beachy i take Tylenol Arthritic 650mg slow release once a day plus Tylenol 3(with codeine) every 4 to 6 hours during the day. That’s what the OS gave me on discharge. I would say I am not pain free but pain manageable. Icing definitely helps I am using a cold therapy machine and impressedhow cold it stays throughout the day
 
That's good to hear that the pain is manageable. That's the best I can hope for when my day arrives (not soon enough). I take the Tylenol Arthritis 650 X 2 on occasion now. It's helped on really bad days. Fortunately, it's not often. If hospital doesn't provide ice machine I'll be purchasing one.
Thanks for the update! Feel better!
 
@beachy call your insurance to see if an ice machine is covered. If it’s not and the hospital sends you home with one, you may have to pay out of pocket. If not covered, buying yourself may save you money.
 
@InkedMarie
Why do I keep procrastinating about that? Was going to call last week. Will definitely call today. Thanks!
 
LOL I don’t know @beachy but if they inflate the cost of an ice machine like everything else, I’d hate to have you pay too much. Mine is ready to go; my TKR is in 6 days!
 
Can anyone give me an idea how long it is until you see swelling reduction. The band above my kneecap and behind my knee is swollen and causes most of the pain. I am elevating 80% of my day and icing regularly but while the ice reduces the pain I don’t notice a reduction in swelling
 
Congrats on being home! It may take weeks for the swelling to come down and it usually happens quite gradually. You're dong the right things by icing and elevating.
 
Thanks @kneeper a little nervous that pt is coming tomorrow and things feel tighter than the day I came home and first saw her
 
Take things slow and easy with the PT. Don’t let them bend your knee for you. At all.

You are in charge of the session, not them. And they all have different opinions on what to do. So if there are so many opinions then there is no one right way. Don’t let them intimidate you. :console2:
 
Gotta love that visit from the poop fairy!
I am still waiting for the swelling to get under control - its not bad, but its enough to make the knee stiff and difficult to move successfully. But I'm just into my fourth week so its still earlyish days! it feels like a tight band across the top of my knee and up the outer side of my leg.
Thanks for sharing your story DLR - much of what you say is similar to my journey!
 
Thanks @Jockette for the reminder. I had a visit today from another TKR. He had his in Puerto Rico and the OS told him no pt. If he wanted to do anything then every so often when laying in bed lift the leg and let gravity see how far it will bend at the knee, over time he would see the progress. He said sure enough that is what happened with no pt
@Jacimarble thanks for sharing especially about the tight band, I am only entering week 2 so will be patient...sometimes it feels much longer lol glad we can encourage each other
 
He had his in Puerto Rico and the OS told him no pt.
Awesome! See, different opinions!

I did not know about all these different opinions early in my recovery. I thought I had to do everything the OS and PT said because they were an authority and knew what had to be done.

4 weeks later when it was taking 2-3 days to recover from some PT sessions I started thinking that was rather counterproductive (and I hadn’t found Bonesmart yet) so I started googling stopping PT and found Bonesmart :roseshwr: And the rest is history!!

I am rather anti PT now. I don’t plan on going next time around. Recovery seems mostly common sense to me and I don’t need a PT to make so much of it like they do. :doh:

Best wishes tomorrow! Remember, it’s not exercise that’s gets ROM back, it’s Time.....
 
I thought I had to do everything the OS and PT said because they were an authority and knew what had to be done.
I used to think the same thing!! I wish I had found BoneSmart prior to both of my TKRs!!
 
Feeling yucky today. Lots of yellow bruising coming out on calf thigh and ankle. Struggling to get on top of the pain. After waiting on the poop fairy I have swung to the other side with diarrhea. Not sure if it is all the Tylenol.
Generally no energy and can’t get comfortable.
 
Yep; right on time. I'm sorry you're going through this but days 7-10 were the worst for me. Regardless of how much you've read here and prepared yourself, a few realities start creeping in and it's a tough time. Get through it and you'll start feeling better or like things are more manageable in a few days. 3 weeks from surgery seemed to be something of a turning point for me with both replacements. Hope the same will happen with you - but sooner!
 
@Laurenkate lol nice to know I am right on schedule... and that better days are ahead. Feeling like a wimp right now everything hurts..not excruciating just constant. Feeling annoyed I cannot get comfortable at night or sleep. Good time for my husband to be away I can mutter, sputter, hobble all night. :bored::tiredwheel:
 
@DLR - "mutter, sputter, and hobble" is hilarious. Should be the other motto for tkr recovery. It's ok to be a wimp and fairly useless for a while; you've been through a lot and it's ok to just concentrate on yourself for a while.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom