Guest viewing is limited

TKR DLR recovery #2

Well first night at home done. Went to bed hoping for sleep in a quiet room. I couldn’t get comfortable everything hurt my knee, my back..I could feel my piriformis wanting to go into spasm (I had a year of that post hip revision). Finally after a couple hours of pillow shuffling, bathroom journeys, cries and frustration I moved to the recliner and fell promptly to sleep. This morning as much as there is pain in my knee when I try to bend I also find a lot of pain in both legs along the inside thigh... oh well off to a big day of ice, elevate, bed exercise, and bathroom journeys
 
oh well off to a big day of ice, elevate, bed exercise, and bathroom journeys
Gentle movements are all your knee needs right now.

Also keep in mind, it’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle,
and Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.
 
I went for a big adventure a walk in the sunshine...3 houses down and 3 houses back. It felt so nice to be outside still hoping for the poop fairy to come I am using stool softener and Restoralax (mirolax). Thank you @Josephine in one of your posts you suggested using the walker backwards as arms sopports over the toilet.much more comfortable than the raised seat sitting on tippy toes. Keep on persevering all my fellow August Knee friends we can do this
 
Yep! Stool softeners will be your friend till the pain meds are done!
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
GRUMPY!! Yes I am grumpy no good reason just am. I know it’s not even a week, I love my husband but he is going to drive me crazy.... he starts the day with a cheery “so are you feeling better today than yesterday” I want to scream NO, I can’t sleep in my bed, my knee hurts, I can’t poop, and as much as he tries there are things lying around everywhere because he simply doesn’t see the mess... but I can’t yell at him he is trying hard and wants to be helpful.
Today I just feel almost angry and I want to be allowed to feel this way I want my own little grumpiest....oh how stupid and selfish I sound.
Thanks for listening hope I am not losing my mind just going through the journey
 
I felt like that too!!!! I think grumpiness is par for the course after this surgery which results in all those reasons you mentioned.

That’s where we come in. Try to be nice to your husband and then come here and vent all you want! :gaah:

Though thankfully my husband is not so perky first thing in the morning. I need a good hour after I wake up before I want conversation. I can barely handle “good morning” and then leave me alone with my coffee and let me wake up! That worked well when my husband used to leave for work about 6:30 am and I stayed in bed until I was “ready” to get up. It’s a different story now that he is retired. He usually complies. :roseshwr:
 
Grump if you want to! You have been through major surgery! I am a 10 days ahead of you and I know the feeling! I am not the easiest person when I am sick or hurting. I want to be left alone. My loving wife is 180 degrees different. She want to be pampered and looked after(and I do it!) I knew I would be a PIA so I bought my wife several pre-grumpy gifts prior to surgery! It made her laugh. She is such a blessing to me!!! Hang in there, it gets better!
 
Thanks @Jockette yes retirement brought us that adjustment too. He usually knows to let me ease into morning I think he is just anxious to measure improvement. I am trying to explain this is a marathon not a sprint. Glad to hear grumps are normal
 
Don't even talk to me until I've had my first cup of coffee in the morning and have given my brain a full hour to wake up. Most people who think they know me consider me Princess Sunshine. They haven't seen me in the morning. Grump away! It's healthy.

This recovery tests the patience of saints. On the plus side, you will be happy you did it once the knee gets past being a brat.
 
Honestly "GrumpysRUs" should be the motto for knee replacement recovery. My husband is one of the best people I've ever known and he has taken over everything - and does it better than me. But I'm tired of not getting consistent sleep, having the "dribbles" and sometimes not making it to the bathroom on time, having one achy thing after another, feeling ok in the morning and bad in the afternoon, and wanting to get out of the house and DO something but not really feeling like it either. I'm especially tired of this weather and the same three outfits I've been wearing for the past month because the pants are comfortable and have deep pockets. It's a wonder my husband hasn't taken off with a new blonde in a red convertible at this point.
FWIW - Days 7-10 or 12 were the worst for me after both knee replacements (especially the firs)t because the realization starts to sink in this is going to be a marathon - not a sprint.
 
@DLR
I think you're grumpy because you're full of poo! LOLOLOL:rofsign::rotfl:
After the poo fairy visits you'll be a new (and lighter) woman!

I have a ginormous coffee mug that says "don't say things to me in the morning". But, hubs can't read, apparently. He wakes up singing zippity damn doo da.
Our caretakers AKA "the hubs" are the first line of fire for us. I think I'm going to buy mine a shield or something 'cuz I know I'll feel just like you do. Or a pre-emptive gift like Sparky did.

You had to wait 18 months for this TKR right? Now it's a big fat letdown because you're so uncomfortable and the drugs have you bound up and IMHO I think they do mess with your mind a bit.
So, you're constipated, in pain, can't get comfy, PO'd, feeling guilty for being PO'd. And 4 days post-op.
Oh Boy! I can't wait for recovery LOLOL Thanks for the warning!

Hang in there!!!
 
Warned, but not prepared!
Actually, your post was very useful :loll:
 
As I've said before and was explaining to hubs (again) this morning...the big problem with this surgery is that most people have been in pain, limping, not sleeping, blah, blah, blah for months beforehand. Even though it's illogical and you know better, then you have to face weeks (if not months) of similar things. Yes, the bone on bone pain is gone but the surgical pain, sleeplessness, etc. are still problems. When people basically ask "why aren't you over this yet?", they haven't thought or don't realize the months ahead of surgery haven't been a piece of cake either. @DLR - you'll get through this; just hang in there and remember it might not feel like it, but each week gets better in its own way.
 
Celebrating the visit of the poop fairy yesterday :heehee::welome: amazing what we get excited about. I am icing and elevating a good portion of the day but still a good bit of swelling, when I try to bend the knee it feels like there is a vice across the thigh just above the knee. Also when lifting my leg onto a pillow I have sharp pain under at the knee cap. Assuming these are all normal week 1 surgical body responses. On a plus I am fairly comfortable maneuvering around the house, in the kitchen I can manage easily with one crutch. Have to keep reminding myself it’s only been 5 days somehow I lose track of days nights as they sort of blur together. Overall I am doing well and lucky for my husband not grumpy today :flwrysmile:
 
I think you're grumpy because you're full of poo! LOLOLOL:rofsign::rotfl:
After the poo fairy visits you'll be a new (and lighter) woman!

I don't know why that doesn't look like a quote. BUT, Congrats!!! I hope the poo fairy visits on a "regular" basis.
And for 5 days out sounds like you're doing well with everything else.
What are you taking for pain meds?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom