TKR DLR recovery #2

Day 2 for the left TKR. Thankful it wasn't cancelled again. Pain is setting in.... On dilaudid and Tylenol in hospital, going home tomorrow on Tylenol 3
 
Best wishes for a great recovery!

Here’s a refresher:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
2 done none to go! Ill be following you sometime late May. Good luck on your recovery! :elevate:
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
Hey my friend!! :wave::console2:
I’ve been thinking for you.
How’s things? One thing that summoned the poop fairy every time for me was caffeine. One of my nurses even suggested it. Tim’s ice capp was perfect!

So everything went smooth? Dr H do a good job? Things are going well enough on my end. Finally seeing some progress.
Wishing you lots of sun and good vibes from down the road!
 
Hi @traceys i was discharged home today. Dr. H did a great job but it is amazing how different this time is. I have a lot more bruising even with the drain he uses. Also my pain hit earlier and harder behind the knee and into the calf, they even did an ultrasound today before I left to confirm no clot.
Thanks for the advice to invite the poop fairy :) she hasn’t arrived yet. Funniest thing I ended up in a private room in isolation because I spent one night in a foreign “Florida” hospital in January...at least I had my own bathroom
So glad things are looking up for you!
 
Day 3... ice elevate, medicate, repeat
Interesting how 2 TKR s can be so different. Much more bruising this time. Also lots of posteriolateral pain I expect that is because I was so knock-kneed on this knee and now it is straight.
The recliner is my nest and sleeping place last night.
 
Welcome home! You know the routine. This knee might have been worse because of it having to take care of everything you had to do while your first knee was recovering. This might have increased it's damage. Also, that straightening out of it is bound to stress the muscles and tendons. They have to adjust to a new way now.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
Hi Diane! :wave:
Finally! Glad it's over for you. You're an old pro by now. Hope your pain is managed.
 
@beachy :flwrysmile: hi back. Yes there is something about the 2nd time around. The pain is not as surprising and today is just one of those blah days but I know those happen. My leg is really black bruised this time which is different but the poop fairy visited today which was :welome:.
I think in many ways I am not as anxious as I can read my own account of what happened last time.
Hope you are doing well and hubby too!
 
I guess it's like riding a bike.....It all comes back to you.
The poop fairy! I remember those days of waiting for her ( or him?) .It is a wonderful feeling when he/she arrives LOL!

We are well, thanks for asking. Easter blessings to you!
 
Colourful day 4
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] DLR recovery #2
    A59B8075-2A85-4B2A-8145-C6D1AF99EC20.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 261
  • [Bonesmart.org] DLR recovery #2
    0F036E9E-DF53-4D19-B4C8-F0EE9D131725.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 299
That’s certainly colorful. My original TKR on my right knee was purple my entire leg. Took weeks to fade.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
Each knee is different. I find I am not as steady on my feet this time and there is much more swelling with the bruising. Tylenol 3 is doing nothing to help the pain so I have moved to 2 arthritic Tylenol on a regular schedule might as well not have constipation from the codeine. Ice, rest, elevate.... today will have first visit from home pt ..see how that goes
 
I think you'll get the best effect from Tylenol if you take the 500 mg tablets. I think the arthritic Tylenol is slow release, which means you don't get the benefit of the full dose when you take it.

Try taking 1,000 mg (2 x 500 mg tablets) 6-hourly, to a total of 4 doses (4,000 mg) in 24 hours.
Check that there is no Tylenol (Acetaminophen) in any other medications you may be taking, such as cold cures. If there is, decrease one or two of your regular doses, so you stay within the safe daily limit of 4,000 mg.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
A rough night last night. Pain was winning..rest was losing. Two Tylenol 3 eventually settled things. Wish I could find my magic pain control formula.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom