Revision THR Dislocation 3 yrs out/Revision Plan

Less than two weeks to go! I like your positive outlook, Lupyhippie.
Wishing you the best for your pre-op next Tuesday and look forward to supporting you on your healing journey post op. I hope you have a nice weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Lupyhippie
 
:wave: Best Wishes tomorrow!
I will look forward to your first update once you're resting back at home.
Hope to hear from you soon!
@Lupyhippie
 
Stopping by to say Hi. :wave:
I hope your surgery was uneventful and you're resting comfortably with pain well managed at home.
Let us know how you're doing when you have the time. Hope to hear from you soon!
@Lupyhippie
 
Well nope, of course not. Cruel April 1st joke (scheduled for 4/2) but I guess no one including the surgeon looked at my chart ahead of time and they wanted more tests (anesthesia>pulmonary, and surgeon> more imaging).
Now it’s this week - 5/7!! I’ve clicked on to refresh myself on the donts and remind myself how I felt the last time. (It’s so nice to have my “journal” online. I’ve been scanned, monitored, xrayed, poked, prodded and everything else and deemed to be incredibly healthy, just broken.

Supposedly my revision surgery is not going to be as involved as the previous replacements. The plan is to change out the cup and liner with a larger diameter cup that will be less likely to dislocate (more mobility as I understand). Even though my prior scars were posterior, he will use an anterior approach for “better visibility and easier postop”.

Will check in afterwards.
 
What a bummer! So sorry, Lupyhippe.
Will be thinking of you and watching for your first post op update.
Best wishes for an uneventful surgery and smooth recovery!
@Lupyhippie
 
Hi. Mods We can move me over to Hip recovery area.
change title to “Recovery post 3 hips and a knee”
 
I’m having almost no pain this time. Is this normal? Im Day 3 post op. L Revision using anterior approach. Granted they didn’t have to mess with the stem but no pain. However my leg feels so numb like a block. Will this eventually go away?
And hey Layla, I TOOK A NAP TODAY!! (My story goes back 6 years and 3 joints ago. I’m not known for resting but I’m doing my best this time !!)
 
So good to hear you are in recovery! I think they do put a numbing agent in the surgical area before they close to address the first few days of pain you may experience. I know I had one when they did my ankle surgery. And said it would wear off after 24 hours but I believe it took 2 days before I could wiggle my toes at the end of my cast.
 
Yay for naps! Especially since you're newly recovering. I'll echo what, myglasshalffull, mentioned about the absence of pain. The injection before closing is a long acting anethsetic, amongst other ingredients, to numb pain and usually wears off within 72 hrs. Does this mean you're going to be miserable afterward...not necessarily, I wasn't, but a revision can be more involved so do take your prescribed meds on schedule. The numbness will eventually wear off.
However my leg feels so numb like a block.
If you mean there is a heaviness, it can be what we refer to as Log Leg.
The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice. Your surgeon may prescribe compression stockings for a short period of time.

You may benefit from the use of a Leg Lifter assistive device temporarily.
I’m not known for resting but I’m doing my best this time !!)
Good you're trying at least :wink:
Keep us posted and best wishes!
 
Welp, that postop party ended quickly. I’m PostOp 10 fr THR revision. I’ve not had pain per se as with the other million past surgeries.But im now having this continued quad contracted feeling especially just above the knee. And just below the “fold” at the top of my leg. I’ll use an Aussie expression as to cause ?? “I reckon I’ve gone and done too much!”
I’m also frustrated at differing opinions by home PTs on sitting positions and picking up things off floor ( I know don’t do it). The original home PT knows my Outpt PT (as do so many Orthos and pts in our community). She told me I need to elevate like w my knee sx and also to lay/sit in more recumbent position. Put pillows to support thighs. No bending using “Golfers” pu etc. She knows my PT and sounds very much like her. She suggested going to outpt bc 4 leg joint replacements in 6 years has put me into some bad habits that some gait training down the road would help.

This week the PT that came hasn’t said too much and has a lot more casual approach. I’ve just been walking and moving a lot and told him about my quad tightness etc but he’s not had a problem with the way I’ve been sitting or moving a lot. He said that I can use the golfers pick up (which I’m just not doing this and using my grabber). He also said that I can use my cane if I want even though he knows I ditched the walker on the second day. He says “don’t do too much just rest and give it time that I don’t need outpt PT.

Today after waking with pain (or whatever this is) again last night to the point that I don’t want to get up to pee multiple times per night, I’ve decided to go back to what the original therapist directions and just recumbent propped in bed w legs elevated. I’m using the ice more and the potty breaks as needed as ambulation. I’m walking every 2 hours to the opposite end of the house with my walker. Keeping the ice on and sent the ortho a note to send over outpt orders (as well as antiFungal for a wicked yeast infection YUK!)
I’m going to go read some info on proper resting position and find out more about this tense quad muscle. Suggestions welcome.

Lupy Hippy
 
Is it ok to sit with my knees up while lying supine w head propped up (like in the sunbathing kind of position)? It sure feels good.
 
I think its okay, Lupyhippie, unless it goes. against any hip precautions your surgeon advised.
Always keep those precautions in mind. Move slowly and if anything hurts, STOP.
“I reckon I’ve gone and done too much!”
:no-fin:
Behave and thrive. :thumb:

He says “don’t do too much just rest and give it time that I don’t need outpt PT.
I agree. PT can come in due time if you need it. For now, allow your body to heal.

It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through your surgery will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.


You're in week two...are you behaving? :wink:
Week 1
A little walking around the house. Trips to the bathroom and kitchen count
Being up on your feet several times a day as you need to and taking a five minute walk every couple of hours.

Week 2
Take walks around your home lasting longer than 5-10 minutes . Let your comfort or your energy levels dictate whether it's too much.

Week 3
Lengthen the walks to about 15-20 minutes once a day, maybe twice a day if it doesn't cause your hip to be painful.

Happy Monday! I hope you have a good week. :)
 
One month down already!
Happy One Month Anniversary! How about an update when you have time?
We'd love to hear from you soon. :yes:
@Lupyhippie
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary! Hopefully you're doing well, Lupyhippie.
Wishing you a great July 2026 and hope to hear from you one of these days.:fingersx:
Take care!
@Lupyhippie
 
Hi everyone!! I’ll be 12 weeks out from my revision this week. Recovery went ok except that my immune system did not like the stitches and kept opening up in little places and spitting a stitch or two out its almost fully recovered and I’m hoping last weeks stitch was the last of it.
I thought of this site today while visiting NYC for our first time. (Amazing. Loving it). But my hip did start to bother me towards the end of the day. It’s after midnight and we just got back and I only now clicked on to see the metrics. I’m glad I didn’t look
During the day or I would have stopped bc we walked 6.2 miles. 14797 steps !!! I had no idea other than the fact I am TIRED!!! My hip
Was bothering me about 2 hours before we rested and took a cab back to Broadway. It hurt like a numb feeling down the side of my femur. I had to be careful bc I felt like I was dragging my feet. My question this am was going to be “I’m 12 weeks out and doing well but I do feeel my leg, hip, back get sore when I’m walking around NYC”. Well I guess I shouldn’t complain. Time for bed !!
Hopefully this willl be my farewell song on this site as I only have one knee left. So maybe I’ll be spared !!! You can do it folks!!
 
Good morning! I love NYC. My GF and I did two train trips per year into New York to walk, shop & dine! I also enjoy taking the local train here into Boston for a day of just walking around the city, usually ending my day in the North End with a nice Italian meal.
My advice to you for today is to ice and try to take it a little slower. 12 weeks is still early in recovery. So you probably overdid it a little yesterday with out even trying.
But do enjoy your visit there.
 
Wow, that's a lot of walking in one day for 12 weeks post-op, @Lupyhippie. The fact you were able to do most of it without any problems is amazing!

I agree with the recommendation to give yourself the day off, as much as you can. (Cabs/Ubers to reduce the walking.)

Please don't say farewell, even if you don't need another surgery. We love updates from members. Each of our recovery stories can provide help and hope to someone just beginning the journey.
 
I also would advise you to stick around. There’s always a new member facing surgery & recovery and us “veterans” can usually help with advice from our own recoveries.
We might not have every answer but even moral support goes a long way.
 
It's nice to know you're still with us! :wink: Was a little concerned each time I caught a glimpse of your avatar with no word from you since right after your revision. Glad you enjoyed NYC, a fun place to visit for sure. Sounds like you've landed in the ODIC, which is no where near as fun as touring The Big Apple. You know the ticket out, rest, ice and elevation. I agree with those above, hoping you'll stick around. We love updates and you never know who you may be inspiring with a simple post. Happy Sunday!
@Lupyhippie
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom