Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Dislocation 3 yrs out/Revision Plan

You've been through h-ll and back so happy to read here you are feeling a bit more upbeat.
I had to stay on walker after my 6 week check up cause x-ray revealed still had a small fracture. I've not been through anything like you, but it was very disheartening and 4 more weeks of light weight bearing wasn't in my plans. But it all worked itself out and the small fracture began to heal itself thank goodness.
I am currently on vacation in USVI's where I was taken from almost 18 months ago with a fractured hip. This past week here I've hiked up major hillsides to view ruins, sugar mills, etc. so much history here along with the shear beauty of the islands.
So my point is you will hike again, just know that. I didn't think I was going to be able to do hiking and walking which are two of my favorite past times. Been on 4 different beaches, walked through powdery sand, in swimming pool here at home we are renting. Been cooking meals for our group of 6, life is GOOD!
It gets better, each day, I wish you all the best on this journey.
 
Wow, what a journey you have been on in just a week! Your comprehension of what is happening is admirable as is your attitude (we are all entitled to some self-pity!). Lucky you seem to have an action-oriented doctor (as opposed to some who like to say "the x-ray looks fine") and a very supportive spouse. All plusses in your column! Best of luck in the recovery.
 
Fifth, and maybe the most important, my hair was washed by my sweet husband over our kitchen sink. Im not exactly sure why this was transformative but it was.
It is amazing at what can make us feel better, isn't it! Enjoy!
 
Big tiring day. Still can’t believe the fatigue factor. woke up feeling on top of the world headed to first appt of the day, IV infusion, dressing change etc. and by 1pm a “quick nap” turned into “crash and burn” for 4 hours and not the productive day I had hoped for. Oh well. Very busy day - 3 appts!! Including surgeon. Up early to make a list of questions for each in case I’m too tired to remember later. No pain at all which is good and bad, in that I find myself “forgetting” I’m not supposed to be moving much. Will be glad to get a clarification on this as well as antibiotic plan. Re: fracture- does this occur at times with the surgery itself? I want to know, if possible, I did anything wrong with regards to moving/activity after the “good” initial hip sx on the 14th.
(PS: I know I’ve sounded a bit crazy this past week, but I’m pleading temporary insanity r/t pain and upheaval in postop plans!). Guess I was just staying true to my name “Lupy“ Hippie :)
 
Hi Lisa:wave:
Good to see you feeling better and back in "fight" mode.:thumb:
My grandma used to say "it's okay to have a pity party but let's not let it turn into a soiree!" :heehee:
(Certainly unhelpful)
Second, is remembering this is MAJOR surgery! Joint replacement has become so routine and successful, there is a belief that this is just a bump in the road. I forgot just how big trading out a body part (or three) for a metal implant can be!!
I love the way you stated this... important for all of us to remember.
No pain at all which is good and bad, in that I find myself “forgetting” I’m not supposed to be moving much.
Yes, I think your former post, below, answers this.
Once again, just slowing down my brain, and recalling past challenges has increased my confidence in the ability of my body to heal


Re: fracture- does this occur at times with the surgery itself? I want to know, if possible, I did anything wrong with regards to moving/activity after the “good” initial hip sx on the 14th.
Fracture is a risk of THR, though rare, I have seen it many times over my years on the forum.
@myglasshalffull is an active member who recovered well from having this complication.
Who's to know if perhaps there was a near undetectable hairline fracture that may have worsened after weight bearing?
It is important to stay mindful and patient as you heal.
Come and whine here when you feel overwhelmed.
 
@Lupyhippie its so good to see you're slowing the brain down and starting to take things in stride. You've had a heck of a lot of trauma this past month so its completely understandable that you're extremely tired, a bit foggy and forgetful. Sometimes I think its especially hard for the strong ones of us when our plans get seriously derailed. Takes us a while to step back, analyze everything and get back in the fight. :friends:
 
“My grandma used to say "it's okay to have a pity party but let's not let it turn into a soiree!" “

Made me laugh so hard!!
 
It’s ️ and it’s pouring!! AC is now out except for one room on a separate system. So much has gone wrong we now just laugh, like “what’s next”? Surgeons visit Tuesday shows increase in fracture so now on VERY strict 25% bathroom privileges only. ID Dr concerned about color of drainage (as is surgeon) scant but yellow-green (Cult+ “broth only” ?? for staph Epi). So this bought me stronger antibx for 4 more weeks of IV. At least I now have a WORKING PICC and am receiving “at home” self administered drugs via very cool (pump free) “Helix” system

Anyone else on 25% WB ? And did you continue w PT ? They (pt) suggesting I continue exercises I learned during 3 visits at home so I don’t “use up” my visits. ? I think I may go this route. Surprisingly, I am getting better at being the queen bee asking for everything and laying around on the couch which has helped my mind tremendously as I just focus on healing and staying off my feet.
Day 29 since original L-THR
Day 14 since revision/I&D

Seems like it’s been a VERY long summer! Can’t wait to get to start walking again. Ya kno, it’s the little things ….

Picture 1: Antibiotics-to-go. Helix system makes twice daily (3 hr infusions) easy.
Picture 2/3: PICO14 negative-pressure system over incision. Attached to small pump
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Dislocation 3 yrs out/Revision Plan
    IMG_6221.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 84
  • [Bonesmart.org] Dislocation 3 yrs out/Revision Plan
    IMG_6192.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 91
  • [Bonesmart.org] Dislocation 3 yrs out/Revision Plan
    IMG_6201.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes, so sorry to hear fracture is not getting better.
I was 50% WB, no clue what 25% is like...keep us posted.
 
So I’m 5 weeks from original LTHR and 3 weeks fr Revision (and 4 years post RTHR). I am still on prophylactic (just because) IV antibiotics twice a day thru 9/18. I have no pain or tenderness in either leg BUT I’ve only been upped to 50% WB this week (from what was basically bathroom and doctor visits ). It’s been a long road with the cultures “a little positive” and the physical restrictions. I’m looking forward to driving and being free of canes and devices. And it would be nice to get the PICC line out so I can swim.

The incision is like a hard cigar running the length. Like a hard pocket (no drainage or opening in the incision). I feel sure it’s collagen/scar tissue. Is there a way to loosen this up ? I don’t have surgeon visit for 2 weeks (we took a break from each other !! )
 
Agree with Jaycey, leave it be for now, I wasn't overly concerned with my surgical scar and over last 17 months it has shrunk considerably, let your body heal.
I had posterior and maybe you can see small area if I'm in a bathing suit, but like I said, I wasn't worried about having a scar there in first place.
Good luck with your upcoming doctor visit and keep us posted.
 
JUST PASSIN THRU , so I thought I’d give a quick shout out to Layla and the Hippies aa I’m “movin on down” . I FINALLY recovered fr the LTHR and all that bleeding, followed by the redo to stop the bleeding. (Pics too graphic). But yea I had 8 weeks of 2x per day 3 hour iv antibiotics.

BUT THIS WAS NOT THE NORM!! I finished Antibx 9-30 and PT on 12/5 (his da bday).they still aren’t sure why I bled. I did text positive for some Clotting Factor VIII. but it’s rare and actually causes clots I had actually about 6 weeks that I had started back to Pilates, traveling, 4 miles per day 5x week.

Calendar turns to 2024 and what does that mean? MORE SURGERY!! Headed down to the good ol right knee so officially have to change over to the PreOp Knees !!

Good luck to everyone with the Hip replacements. Best thing you will ever do!!
Pain free !!!
 
Hi Hippies,

Just checking in on the hip site before I flip over to the Pre-Knee Forum {{big sigh}}. But wanted to summarize what happened in my very complex hip surgerie(s). So 6 months and the hip is awesome. After all I went thru (see my prior recovery thread). Bottom line summary
2019 RTHR no problems above average recovery time. Good lookin scar. I’ll mention here that I do have Lups and a few other autoimmune issues and on a blood thinner (but it was held for sx)

2023-7-14. LTHR for 2 weeks on issue but 2 weeks later gushing blood fr incision site so was taken for immediate Redo. They pulled out my parts, fixed the bleeder, gave blood and started me on IV Antibx that would last 8 weeks. I was also put on 6 weeks of complete bed rest (bc my femur had been fractured-small crack, {common}
Once I was given the green light I gradually increased my walking and started back w Pilates in November.
My R knee, which has been tight, hurting started to hurt more than just after working hard. By Christmas when the decorating (ladder and stooping while working in lights) my knee has given way, literally. I can now hardly walk, which feels a lot like my hip prior to sx. So here I go on the knees. I’m slowly becoming the bionic woman (although tin man was more appropriate).
I head to the knee forum by DM me if you have any hip questionz. I’m totally scared for RTKR as I’ve heard the recovery is way worse than hips.

Have a great day !! This hs just a blip on your lifetime events !! Stay strong !

Lupy Lisa
 
Thanks for stopping by Lupy Lisa! Glad to hear you're doing well.
You will find the same great support on the Knee side of the forum. Please let us know when you get a date scheduled and we'll edit your signature. I wish you the best and will look forward to following your journey over there!

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
@Lupyhippie
 
3.5 years from the 1st THR.
1.5 years from 2nd THR plus Revision
Now Pre op for RTKR. Was scheduled for 3/3 but now I’m getting nervous or having PTSD from hip surgery.

BUT I wanted to pass thru on this side to give encouragement to all the Hippies or Future Hippies that might be reading this.
My hips are absolutely perfect. If it weren’t for my knee I could do anything I wanted. I never even think about my hips at all. The recovery process was a piece of cake for me and I just took the advice on this forum and went slow and easy. Building up my stamina with Pilates and walking. I have quit Pilates as I realized when I took a break that my knees no longer hurt.
But I am having trouble wrapping my head around the recovery in PT from a TKR. I jumped in w both feet agreeing to the surgery after living w injections every 3 months. But my bone/bone area is worse and my knee just aches and really causes my whole body to ache. But I have a young granddaughter and want to wait until she is more mobile. And I’m in the process of trying to move back to our home at the beach that was damaged in the hurricane this year.
But as far as the hips —JUST DO IT!! Recovery is a piece of cake. Ice will be your best friend.
Now onto the PreOp for TKR.
 
3.5 years from the 1st THR.
1.5 years from 2nd THR plus Revision
Now Pre op for RTKR. Was scheduled for 3/3 but now I’m getting nervous or having PTSD from hip surgery.

BUT I wanted to pass thru on this side to give encouragement to all the Hippies or Future Hippies that might be reading this.
My hips are absolutely perfect. If it weren’t for my knee I could do anything I wanted. I never even think about my hips at all. The recovery process was a piece of cake for me and I just took the advice on this forum and went slow and easy. Building up my stamina with Pilates and walking. I have quit Pilates as I realized when I took a break that my knees no longer hurt.
But I am having trouble wrapping my head around the recovery in PT from a TKR. I jumped in w both feet agreeing to the surgery after living w injections every 3 months. But my bone/bone area is worse and my knee just aches and really causes my whole body to ache. But I have a young granddaughter and want to wait until she is more mobile. And I’m in the process of trying to move back to our home at the beach that was damaged in the hurricane this year.
But as far as the hips —JUST DO IT!! Recovery is a piece of cake. Ice will be your best friend.
Now onto the PreOp for TKR.
Thanks for the update LupyHippie. I'm having my Left hip THR on Jan 31, followed by my right hip in May. The process is daunting and my anxiety is on overdrive. I have bone on bone OA in both, been in pain for years. My right side is actually worse than the left, but my left hurts most and I cannot bear weight on left so it will be done first. Im not sure how my recovery will go due to the nature of my right hip, but i dont have a choice. Reading positive outcomes, especially those who, like you, had complications but came out on the otherside really helps. Best of luck on your upcoming knee surgery!
 
Thanks for the update LupyHippie. I'm having my Left hip THR on Jan 31, followed by my right hip in May. The process is daunting and my anxiety is on overdrive. I have bone on bone OA in both, been in pain for years. My right side is actually worse than the left, but my left hurts most and I cannot bear weight on left so it will be done first. Im not sure how my recovery will go due to the nature of my right hip, but i dont have a choice. Reading positive outcomes, especially those who, like you, had complications but came out on the otherside really helps. Best of luck on your upcoming knee surge

How did your first hip surgery go?
 
@2newHips2025 …. Since Lupyhippie didn’t tag you in her post, I’m tagging you here to make sure you see her question.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom