Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Dislocation 3 yrs out/Revision Plan

In fact I’ve scared myself to death.
I certainly hope between your visiting nurse friend and a call into your surgeons office, you receive the reassurance you need so you're able to relax. Best Wishes.
it would be nice to be able to get in the pool once the incision is completely healed.
Please check on your surgeons advice as far as a timeline goes for getting into the pool. Mine was a stickler and I've read of a few others that received the same timeline as me, which was to wait three months. Yes, three months post op of no baths, hot tubs, pools, lakes...any body of water.
Yours may likely not be as strict, but I'd advise you check with him...if you haven't already.
Happy Monday!
 
Woohoo :loveshwr:Happy Two Week Mark to me and some of the other Julysparklers . Lots to tell. This week was a huge turn around. By the end of the week my person improved tremendously. I feeel back to my own self minus a bit slower and more tired. My lab work showed Hgb still low at 9.9 but improving. Platelets high “to be expected” CRP on high but almost normal band a few other inflammatory markers high but almost normal. So for now fr has me continue Antibx, iron, B12 and 2 baby aspirin bid.
As for drainage which has improved he at first wanted it just OTA (open to air) but then changed mind and decided to replace the surgical dressing (aquacel) til next week. He left staples in and also ordered a CT to make sure that a sera (drainage at incision site) had not formed. Appt next week so he will needle aspirate if it has. INTERESTINGLY he said that although I had kept the incision CDI w gauze and Island dressing changes, he prefers Aquacel dressing bc he said gauze will pull/wick drainage BUT it can allow that drainage to sit on the gauze and leak back into the incision w bacteria. He left staples I. For now til next weeks appointment when everything back in.
He said self-physio was great but did order outpatient PT so he can get some measurements for the charts. So I’ll have a few sessions to just make sure I’m doing everything correctly. So plan continue walking, building endurance, iron-rich foods and tabs, CT for r/o seroma, keep dressing CDI, repeat H:H, vitals plus temp daily.

Best wishes and continued healing.
 
So at last post I was Day 14 and looked a bit like Gene Kelly I was doing so well (but trying to stay out of ODC). But bleeding from incision worsened into a “mass murderish” crime scene event overnight. 1 call to Dr and 3 calls from Dr (changing his mind w each call) lands me back in the hospital Saturday for CT of incision, hips and lungs. Anemia and bleeding return to OR for emergency Sunday surgery (after being stabilized with blood, fluids, and hibicens cleansed etc in wee Sunday am hours). Off to surgery (no problem Im Gene Kelly right?) WRONG. SO SO WRONG!!! I woke to the most awful pain I’ve ever been in (which as my husband being an advocate, said “No guys, you don’t get it, Lisa is painless. I’ve watched her laugh and smile w 3 baby births and walk away fr horrfic MVA taking Tylenol, something’s wrong). Well yeah. Lots of things wrongs. NOTE:Trigger warning for those below 30 that seem to need this type of thing. THIS IS NOT NORMAL W THRs. I’ve had 2 and they’ve been great until now. No wonder I was in pain after this surgery. Dr began telling me what he did and due to combo of very drug induced state plus bad ADD, I could hear some words but mostly keyed in on large hand motions charading the building of a home or an Elf in Santa’s workshop. Literally all I saw were these big gestures all of which he did in the confines of that 11cm insicion. There was a hematoma that was drain and main culprit of bleeding. He also pulled off the ball part of the device and removed the cup (hand gestures for this is a twisting motion w a hammering a stake), then a deep fascia incision to open up to the backside of the appliance (hand gesture sawing and parting the Red Sea ) next came pressure washing all of it down and sprinkling of Vancomycin Fairy Dust, followed by reattaching new cup liner, with inserting new ball, more draining and inserting an accordion drain before closing. All of this took about 3 hours. It was so strange to be in a dark PACU PreOp all in same room w same nurse and only my dr there. Eerie like being in Disney before opening hours. This emergency surgery was needed bc of the hematoma putting me at risk of infection anc anemia (my Hgb was 5.9). Because I have Lupus and clotting disorders my dr is just super aggressive in preventing Infections. But the CT revealed I also had a crack on the inner inside edge of the femur bone. So he just needed to fix Everything All At Once. The pain was so and is so severe in my buttocks and a burning on the side of hip. BUT I am home 5 days later and it’s been an interesting saga of which I’ll write more.
I’ve had or have : fracture caused in surgery, ICU admit, Pressure dressing, wound vac, central line for IV antibiotics for 2-6 weeks, zero weight-bearing, 25% WB, 4 blood transfusions and intolerable pain. So I will write more as I feel better. Good to be home but EXTREMELY tired.

{{HUGS PLEASE}}
Lisa

MODS: combine this w my original thread or not. Whatever you think.
 
Not everyone celebrates 41 years like this!!
[Bonesmart.org] Dislocation 3 yrs out/Revision Plan
 
Oh my, @Lupyhippie :flabber:
What a whirlwind this past week.

I'm so glad you are home. I am sorry for it coinciding with your anniversary but that is such a sweet picture.:roseshwr:
I guess the unfortunate hematoma at least shed light on the other issues with the socket.

I left this thread as a Revision thread, but if you want to change the thread title just let us know.

Big Healing Hugs coming your way.
 
Sending hugs :console2: You’ve been through a lot!
Happy Anniversary, he looks and sounds like a keeper. Nice pic of the two of you.
@Lupyhippie
 
Oh goodness! Well you look pretty chipper there with your husband. I’m sure it’s because of his support.
Happy Anniversary!
So sorry you’ve dealt with so much and good thoughts towards rapid healing from this point on. :flwrysmile:
 
Oh wow Lisa, I am so sorry you are having such a rough time! I hope you have a great turnaround and feel better soon!
 
Sorry your life has turned into such a nightmare. Hopefully you are now out of the woods and on the road to recovery!!
 
You can combine this thread with my other one or w wherever it makes most sense. To me this surgery was brand new and not for the better !! So maybe a revision is correct?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow am I ever more tired after this surgery. I think just the uncertainty of where this is headed and the treatment I’m now under with the fracture and IV antibiotics twice daily are really throwing me for a loop mentally. Also my chest started feeling tight with some wheezing so trying to stay on the incentive spirometer. Met w PT today and was admitted there for 3x week but going to discuss w surgeon on Tuesday bc he told he 25% or less, as he put it, weight bearing. So what exactly are we doing in PT? Also these antibiotics just feel yucky. My arm hurts from the infusions. My ears are ringing and my feet are swollen. I just feel yucky like I’ve got the flu on top of having pain and a very unstable left leg. So guess you could say I’ve got some PostOp blues going, and that is my nature. I think I’m looking too far ahead bc the thought of getting an infection or loosening or anything that would cause them to go back in is just heart-pounding for me the “super human” who is never scared or in pain. Then that horse is way out of the barn when I stay thinking “is this it” are all the fun things I love like backpacking and camping over ? Am I not going to be able to walk/lose my leg? It’s all just super scary right now. Maybe another week of drs appts will ease my mind some. But I feel like it can’t get here soon enough. Thanks for all the well wishes. They were felt.
 
@Lupyhippie sounds like a bit of post op blues plus post traumatic stress. All this is a shock to both your mental and physical health. Just try and take it one step at a time. You will get back to doing all the things you love!

Can you ask for some anti-nausea medication? Those antibiotics are sometimes very hard to take!
 
Oh my, @Lupyhippie
I am sorry that this is so hard...and the aggressive protocol to ensure against infection makes you feel sick. I hope, as Jaycey recommended, you might find nausea meds helpful.

Met w PT today and was admitted there for 3x week but going to discuss w surgeon on Tuesday bc he told he 25% or less, as he put it, weight bearing. So what exactly are we doing in PT?
I can't imagine it being anything aggressive but you obviously are in charge.
It may be good to have a PT there to help you move about some and insure you are doing it safely ...and be able to have eyes on you in order to let surgeon know how things are going. Perhaps more in an occupational therapy capacity?

You can combine this thread with my other one or w wherever it makes most sense. To me this surgery was brand new and not for the better !! So maybe a revision is correct?
Yea, technically....
When there is a second operation to remove some or all of the parts of the original prosthesis and replace them with new ones...it is considered a revision.

I think I’m looking too far ahead bc the thought of getting an infection or loosening or anything that would cause them to go back in is just heart-pounding for me the “super human” who is never scared or in pain. Then that horse is way out of the barn when I stay thinking “is this it” are all the fun things I love like backpacking and camping over ? Am I not going to be able to walk/lose my leg? It’s all just super scary right now.
Well, Yes ma'am, you are jumping ahead but certainly understandable (I would think, especially due to your profession) so please try not to project and over stress.

These next weeks will indeed be tough, but, as noted by your dear hubby , you are a tough cookie and we are rooting for you. One day at a time, my friend.:console2:
 
Thanks for words of encouragement. I can’t believe this complete change in attitude that I’m experiencing. Had you asked me in 7/29 after my 2nd successful THR and doing great (w the exception of oozing which I had the first time) I would have been the poster child and cheerleaders for THRs. One week later BAM I’m shaken to my core doubting my future to not get an infection and in disbelief that this NEVER entered my mind in the 5 years since the first one.

Antibiotic prior to dentist, “ohyeah just a precaution”, now I feel like a germ-a-phobe laying here thinking of 1001 ways that an infection is going to go straight to my hip and kill me. I lay here in fear pondering a future revision, and antibiotic spacer and 9 months of IV antibiotics that my poor 26 yo son endured (and successfully overcame w his THR). and the crazy thing is that my cultures are negative and my surgeon is just managing potential for infection aggressively bc he saw some WBCs on the slides.

I should be doing back flips for negative cultures but instead I start thinking of all the dangers that I face instead of being excited that I might actually be able to carry that 40 lb pack in the backcountry again. What if I fall, will my femur snap in two?

I think of this current fracture and wonder did I do something to cause this in those two weeks post op or did it happen in the OR with all the irrigating and snapping things to and fro. I’m literally afraid to move right now for fear I’m going to break something.

I could not wait to drive the first time, and now Im afraid to even drive wondering what would happen if I crash. I tell you this is like going from the top of Everest on Day 14 to the person watching these climbers from the sofa thinking of every danger they are experiencing. I’ve never been afraid of anything before but now I’m the Church mouse peeking out at the scary world beyond my hidey- hole.

I know that feeling like absolute S—- Fr these antibiotics which have now added a yeast infection to the mix is not helping, nor is having all these pumps, drains, lines, and bandages which cant get wet making my dirty gross self feel any better.

Finally let’s layer the guilt on of thinking of all my brave oncology patients who endureyears of cancer and the long journey of transplant with no guarantees. I hold their hands and listen to them but can’t seem to do the same with myself. I’m a hot mess.

The one positive over these last few days has been a decrease in pain to the tolerable point of just Tylenol which would be a blessing in the stomach department if I did not still have to be on those awful iron tablets. But Im not even celebrating the progress in the pain decrease because even that worries me because now I’m afraid I’ll do something wrong to cause another fracture, or a dislocation which might send me back to the OR.

I’m pretty much in shut-down mode right now. On the horizon my psychologist returns Fr her summer break on August 20th which I know will help…….if only I weren’t scared to get in the car to go see her.. . I’ve faced a great deal of adversity and trauma in my life and have always either faced it head on punching it in the face or by running and staying busy enough to not let the fear catch up. But this last week and that very painful revision has brought Me to my knees this time. And right now I’m not even trying to go anywhere as I’m frozen in fear. I think as someone mentioned this may be PTSD.

This week appts w surgeon and ID might help resolve the uncertainties that are crippling me.and maybe help me see the light at the end of all this. Thanks for the hugs. I really am NOT crazy normally; I guess I plead temporary insanity.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think of this current fracture and wonder did I do something to cause this in those two weeks post op or did it happen in the OR with all the irrigating and snapping things to and fro.
None of this is your fault. It's just bad luck! Follow your surgeon/ID instruction and try and get to a more positive place. Tough I know! All this is temporary.
 
I am really sorry to read of all the mental anguish, torment and physical pain you’re dealing with. It seems your surgeon is taking every precaution and hopefully you take some comfort in that. I am sure as you start to feel better physically, your emotions will follow. Hugs and prayers for your peace of mind.
@Lupyhippie
 
Good morning new virtual friends!!

After wallowing in pain and trauma induced self-pity for a week, I’ve awoken feeling a wee bit like the old me today. No more Debbie-Downer here!! I believe this is a combo of a number of things which are beneficial for everyone going thru this.

The first is time; life today is all about instant gratification. I believe my physical discomforts have been hindering what little patience I have to begin with. I have to be grateful for just what all I have accomplished and overcome this past week (and the last 60 years) and not forget that I’m here and always find a way to overcome any obstacles.

Second, is remembering this is MAJOR surgery! Joint replacement has become so routine and successful, there is a belief that this is just a bump in the road. I forgot just how big trading out a body part (or three) for a metal implant can be!! For me, mobility is life and as the pain and uncertainties increased so did my fear of losing my independence! Once again, just slowing down my brain, and recalling past challenges has increased my confidence in the ability of my body to heal.

Third, by good (or bad) luck depending on how you look at it, my IV Antibx were not delivered to my home as scheduled. Therefore I had to go into the ID Dr infusion center yesterday and the drugs were changed to 24 hour ones vs twice a day. The great thing about this was it gave me a night and morning off from the high-powered ones that were eating my guts out, literally, AND brought me into a facility with an NP who was able to address the swelling and pain in my hand (from one of the 12 IVs in the last 3 weeks). She also prescribed an anti fungal for this particularly pesky yeast infection. Both my hand and my “nether” regions are much better.

Fourth, my pain is now completely controlled with Tylenol alone which means my gut is returning to normal with constipation a past annoyance.

Fifth, and maybe the most important, my hair was washed by my sweet husband over our kitchen sink. Im not exactly sure why this was transformative but it was. I’ve always loved being shampooed at the salon-the warm water and touch feels so great. Well, having this done by my husband was really sensual. We giggled and I reached and touched his fingers in my hair and just suddenly I knew everything is going to be ok. I think just touching and being caressed so tenderly after weeks of being “handled” vs actually touched made my ❤️ full.

So my advice is to not get so caught up in the details of every twinge and try and keep the “worry horse” in the barn before it gallops uncontrollably away. If you are losing it, try and find a way to comfort yourself at a basic level. The right touch from the right person, or animal, or object can help ground your thoughts and help your mind recall past pleasures.

Have a wonderful week!! I will check in after the surgeons appointment on Tuesday.

Cheers, Lisa
 
Wow! What 24 hrs and a sensual shampoo does for a woman!
Got a little nervous toward the end of your post...wasn't sure where this hair washing session was going. :heehee:
Glad to read you're feeling better. Hope you have a good week!
@Lupyhippie
 
Glad you are in a better head space!!! It’s hard to be patient and deal with so many uncertainties. One day this will be a glance in the rear view mirror as you will move past it . Hang in there!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom