THR Discouraged about length of time it is taking me<

Nana, we just figured out what you meant about "knee" information! We recently updated our guidelines and you're completely correct....one of our "knee" articles slipped into the "hip" list. Jo will be back on board here soon and will take a look at the guidelines now that you've identified that problem with the list. Thanks so much for catching that for us!!!
 
Can anyone tell me if I may actually have done some damage by doing the prone hip abduction exercise? Prior to starting that exercise about 2 weeks ago, pain from the surgery had stopped. Now my hip and incision area are aching again. It has me frightened. I am also a bit uneasy to say the least because I have discomfort now in my right hip. It isnt new. The very thought of another hip replacement is very scary. I had complications after the first surgery. I was supposed to be in the hospital 2 days but was in for 7 days. Couldn't urinate and had breathing problems. I came home on oxygen but fortunately my oxygen level came up and stayed up after about 2 weeks home. Hip Hip Hooray mentioned rheumatoid arthritis. I, too, am fearful I may have it. I made an appointment with a rheumatologist but can not see him until the end of next month. I have searched online for a forum such as this one but related to RA. I want everyone who has responded to me to know how very grateful I am for this forum and for all of you.
 
Can anyone tell me if I may actually have done some damage by doing the prone hip abduction exercise?
No, you won't have done any damage. It's just that the result is as you say - pain.
 
He did not tell either of them to do anything other than walk walk walk.
That's exactly right but do be careful not to overdo the walking. Moderation in everything, okay? And you should read up on the activities article which defines very explicitly what you should expect to do on a daily basis. Activity progression for THRs
Can anyone tell me if I may actually have done some damage by doing the prone hip abduction exercise?
Not at all! All you've done is make some tissues angry but this will settle down eventually. Go back and read the advise I left when I answered your questions - post #10. It's much like if you're just sprained and ankle or something.
The very thought of another hip replacement is very scary.
Well now you have more knowledge and understanding of what goes into a THR recovery, don't you? And things like you experienced before can happen but mostly they are just 'one-off's' and don't happen again. And they are also easily remedied. You know you were in good hands when they happened so nothing really horrendous was going to happen.

Incidentally, I discovered there were two erroneous articles in the recovery list I left you. I know you're a lady who likes to understand why things happened so I'll 'fess up and say it was my fault. We were restructuring the recovery articles in the backroom and we worked on the knee ones first. When that was done and I decided to do the same for the hip recovery articles, I simply copy/pasted that section and then tinkered with the hip recovery articles. Bad me because I failed to notice those two were definitively knee articles! I do apologise!
 
Please try not to worry about the possibility of rheumatoid arthritis. It's good you're going to get checked just to be sure and to ease your mind, but chances are you'll not have it. Any time you have major surgery like joint replacement, it is possible for all kinds of body reactions. The surgery is such a trauma to your system. It can take months to normalize after all of it, so it certainly is possible that what you're experiencing will dissipate with some time.

In the meantime, be sure you are responding properly when your body hurts. That's the signal to pull back a bit and allow yourself more rest and tender care. It really pays to listen to your body. It's in charge right now and you're just along for the ride.
 
I can tell you one thing I have learned from this forum. Everyone is different. Same surgery but different circumstances, different time frames that brought people to surgery, different levels of muscle weakness, different ages, bodies, healing rates. You are the only one that can take care of you and your recovery is yours alone. Believe me, I know, because I had a very difficult first surgery, and then a revision etc. Most of the people that had surgery around the time I did were doing better than me and I was very frustrated. I hurt a muscle or two a couple times trying to rush things. There is a time to everything in life. If you give up the cane too soon, you'll develop other issues. Your body will tell you when. You've been given some good advise from some great people. They do know what they are talking about. Hang in there and try to be gentle with yourself. Cathy
 
Hi Nana,
I agree so much with what Cathy has just said. I also felt that I was a little behind where others with similar op dates had reached, and it did worry me. However, the more you read on this site, the more you realise that we all progress at our own rates and it achieves nothing worrying about it.
Look after yourself and take it easy. Hope you start to feel better soon,
Diane xx
 
Thank you so much for all of the good and kind advice. I REALLY need it right now. That exercise has made me hurt AGAIN. I had just gotten past the surgery pain and now I've done it to myself and I did it by following my doctor's orders.

I am very very worn out from pain in so many parts of my body. I am searching for a forum related to cervical vertebrae issues. Rheumatoid - my hands wake me up during the night and I'm reading that is often a rheumatoid symptom. Having difficulty keeping my thoughts positive.

All of you on this forum help.
 
I have another question related to the hip abduction exercise my Dr told me to do early on 3 weeks after the 1/16 surgery: during PT I was told to "push" the operated leg - my foot against the therapist. Later that day, the gluteus muscle in the middle of my butt on the surgery side began to ache. Weeks later, at a follow-up appt with my Dr I told him about that muscle hurting and that is why he told me to do the abduction exercise.

Yes....I am getting to my question (wanted to explain why my Dr told me to do that exercise) -- NOW, after doing the abduction exercise for 3 weeks, an area of my incision hurts. (I have not done the exercise since posting about it here.) Posterior incision. It hurts in an area on my thigh. Not pain. Hurt.

Does anyone think I may have a problem with the incision?

It looks the same but I think it may not yet be healed deep down.
 
Gee I don't know, but probably not. The muscle pain can be intense and feel like something else is wrong. I too, had thought early on a couple times that I "did something" to my new hip. Most all the time the advice from the gang here set my mind at ease. If you ever want to specifically ask a moderator something, you do this @Jaycey and it brings your post to their attention. That goes for all Of us too, If you want to tag someone. So I think I just tagged jacey for you. Hang in there :fingersx:
 
It looks the same but I think it may not yet be healed deep down.
Yes there us still a lot of healing going on. You probably aggravated soft tissues in the area by "pushing" that leg. Don't let PT tell you to push anything. All that results is these aches and pains. Slow and steady is a much better approach to this recovery.
 
I am starting this new thread but am unsure if my question actually relates to my original thread.
The backs of my thighs ache. All the time. Any ideas?
 
@Nana40 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.
The backs of my thighs ache. All the time. Any ideas?
Are you still exercising? If so, stop and rest and see if this settles.
 
Does anyone think I may have a problem with the incision?
Yes and the problem is with your doctor who keeps giving you idiotic exercises to do! Do you remember that back in the early posts in this thread (which is why we don't want you starting new ones!) I left you a BIG TIP which went like this

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

So all you need to do is stop ALL the exercising and everything will be okay.
 
@Nana40 you're not alone in your frustration, I have an uneven and choppy walk and had my RTHR just two weeks before yours. Have you tried getting a new pair of shoes? I found it very helpful as old wear patterns can throw off your gait.
 
Thank you. I didnt realize i shouldnt start a new thread. I did because I had a different question.
The backs of my thighs still ache and I have done NO exercise other than walk. And possibly not walking enough. They tell me "walk walk walk". ..
 
I have done NO exercise other than walk. And possibly not walking enough. They tell me "walk walk walk". ..
Well just do it in moderation! It's not necessary to go on a 2-3 mile hike. Just 20-30 minutes there and the same back once a day - maximum!
 
I wonder if I have not walked enough if I have not is it too late for me to strengthen my leg/hip/walk without a cane? Surgery was 1/16/17. Yes I understand that everyone is different but after reading posts I think I have not been walking nearly enough. My left (replacement side) leg is still very weak.

So my question is: If I have not done enough walking is it now too late??? I am very scared. I have so many other things wrong with this 76 year old body and well, just using the cane, living alone, only having one free hand, I'm so limited.

Have I messed up by being lazy? I can NOT walk for 20 minutes. I get exhausted. I walk for maybe 1--15 mins max and I don't do that every day. Some days I just walk from room to room in my small house. People who see me walk with a cane say "Oh you are doing GREAT!" uh..no I'm not - without the cane my leg is weak, wobbly and my gait is horrid.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom