Revision TKR Disc replaced with MCL repair

We call that sensation zingers. It's everything waking up and reconnecting. Just give it a bit of time - this will all ease. In most cases it's not an injury - just nerves complaining about being traumatised.
 
We call that sensation zingers. It's everything waking up and reconnecting. Just give it a bit of time - this will all ease. In most cases it's not an injury - just nerves complaining about being traumatised.
Zinger is the right name for them. I managed to get an appointment with my doctor and he prescribed gabapentin for a while. I'm a bit nervous to start it, but these nerves at night are difficult to say the least. I'll take this for a bit and see if it doesn't help. (He may switch me to a topical depending.)
 
he prescribed gabapentin
It's a great medication for nerve pain. Please let us know how you get on with it.
Last night was night 2 and so far it seems to be helping. Had Therapy today and Monday I was only 105 and today I got to 115. (Of course the therapist did some work on the incision and it seemed to help the movement today.)
 
So today is 5 weeks post op - and I am going back to work in the office this week. Therapy has completed and I'm guessing life will start getting back to "normal" (What ever that is...LOL) My husband will be having shoulder surgery in the next few weeks - so I will be helping him with that. The only "concern" I have is one small part of my incision wasn't completely healed and the scab came off. I stopped into the doctors office and they are calling in some anti-biotics to make sure it's not infected. Time will get that completely healed. I'm concerned about swelling....but that is still expected. I will be taking Ice and my Tens unit to work so I can use them as necessary. Any other suggestions to help keep swelling down while at work is appreciated!
 
Any other suggestions to help keep swelling down while at work is appreciated!

What kind of work do you? Are you able to sit down and elevate your leg periodically during the day?
 
Any other suggestions to help keep swelling down while at work is appreciated!
Hi @Deedles8 , are you planning to use compression socks/knee sleeves? I used them on long flights and they really helped keep swelling at bay. They're not necessarily the most comfortable things to have on for hours on end ... but I suspect they'll help.

All the best on your continued recovery!
 
Any other suggestions to help keep swelling down while at work is appreciated!
I used a large Ace bandage to keep ice packs in place while working. I was in an office situation and it allowed me to move about the building while keeping ice on the knee. It really helped me.
 
I work sitting at a desk but have the freedom to get up and move around. They have also said they will accommodate anything I may need so I will be taking advantage of that to keep the knee elevated and iced when I can.
 
I will be taking advantage of that to keep the knee elevated and iced when I can.
That's great. Elevating and icing will help a lot. Also, be sure to stay ahead of the pain with Tylenol/Advil (which ever you take).

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
 
Well - the latest update is while I was at work Monday a rug slipped out from under me and I fell landing on my knee. It split part of my incision open. Wound up with stitches....another small area opened after that but it seems to be controlled with a band aid while staying as elevated with ice and compression as much as possible. I'm on antibiotics as a preventative. I'm still sore and bruised but this too shall pass!
 
Last edited:
I’m so sorry!
 
Oh no! I pray your knee recovers from the fall quickly. The implant should be fine, but your soft tissues will have to start all over again. Rest, ice, and elevate as much as you can.
 
Got the topical stitches out. Still have one area that they left open because there is fluid around the new injury that is needing to drain but they expect that will close up within a week as the swelling has decreased significantly. it's very bruised (well it's yellow now...) but it's healing and I'm grateful there wasn't more damage. Hope everyone is well. I like seeing peoples updates!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom