Revision TKR Difficult recover after multiple revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cold gray days certainly aren’t the best days. My hubs always reminds me it‘s a good day if you wake up breathing, lol. I’ve never woke any other way but breathing. :heehee: Hopefully tomorrow is a brighter day for you. :SUNsmile:

I have some thoughts regarding pain that I hope you don’t mind me sharing here. Everyone’s pain is different, each person experiencing different levels of pain pre-op as well as post-op. We always remind members that not all recoveries are the same, not even with the same person. While I thankfully have not experienced revision surgery, nor a knee replacement and understand knee recovery can overall be more difficult than hip recovery, no one can predict their pain, let alone another’s.

Going into surgery and early recovery I did not find it comforting to read well intentioned warnings that I should expect to suffer pain. Thankfully I was in the lucky group that experienced minimal, well managed, tolerable pain that was short lived. I’m not alone in this. I feel it important to note this for those following behind you in recovery. With that said, I wish you peace, comfort in large doses, perfect healing and a journey much easier then you’re anticipating.

I hope you have a nice week!
@NFenske
 
As I have found with my own history on knee surgeries 7 total revisions 1 partial revision not too mention scopes partials as well all on same knee. So far by far the recovery this time has been the worst but considering current surgery was Dec 31st 2020 hinged knee replacement, partial was done Dec 2019, 6th total done summer 2018, 5th done 2015, spacer Dec 2018, taken out and cleaned August 2018, 4th total July 2018 my knee has never been fully healed before another surgery interrupted things. I am well aware knee is never going to normal gave that up years ago. All I am hoping for less pain a 5 on pain scale would be great able to walk and have no instability issues and if I can get 3 possibly 4 years with the hinged I would be grateful.

My best guess I am a good 2to3 weeks behind going by previous replacements. I have also learned first hand my limitations. A short drive is okay ( pick up prescription, grocery shopping only if its quick 15 minutes or less) cleaning home dusting and vac. okay bot not the same day as shopping. If I overdo like I did Saturday end up in tears due to how it feels. My version of pain scale maybe different than your ?? but to me 10 traumatic accident injury life threatening 9 almost but not quite a 10, 8 wake up in recovery OR meds wearing off, or in my case over doing to the point cannot put any weight on leg pain is extreme, 7 my current average ( boy do I wish it was lower!! ) my version of a 7 pain is constant not extreme but not good either in regards to a 7 there are 3 versions low middle high current as of right now today a solid 7 if it was lower would be able to space out pain meds further apart not there yet just wish.

There is no magic pain pill no magic wand unfortunately it takes time and patience.
Norman
 
Sadly, you’ve been through a lot and our hearts go out to you in that, but your situation is far from normal and not one the great majority will share.

Joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again.

I see you just passed one month (yesterday) since your latest surgery. Happy One Month Anniversary! I wish you smooth sailing from here on out.
 
Based on what I wrote truly do you think I believe that?? As I wrote by previous TKRs by now pain would be in the 6 range not holding steady in the 7's. Ask any surgeon how long a hinged knee is supposed to last odds are the response will be not as long as typical. What you wrote was fine but any idea how many times I have heard that or read it?? A typical knee replacement is supposed to last between 10 to 20 years on average I am averaging 2 to 3 my surgeon feels confident I should get 10 we shall see but I have been told that before so as far as think OH WOW THIS IS IT!!! Sorry I do not share same optimism, I want to but my history does not allow that.
 
What you wrote was fine but any idea how many times I have heard that or read it

Sometimes we relay things for the benefit of others also, in this case reminding others your situation is unique...not the norm, so they don’t have to feel apprehensive while reading your updates. Certainly its your right to document the details of your recovery here, but we can also counter warnings that there will be intense pain. That is not always true and important to relay to those following behind you that relatively easy and uneventful recoveries are occurring daily. I’m sorry you can’t count yourself amongst those who are thriving and looking toward a brighter future. I wish you only the best as you continue the journey.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I described my pain as worse than having a baby because instead of hours it lasted for days. Whether my labor pains were the same as someone else's labor pains is something no one can know. The same is with the recovery pain of the TKR. Yes, recovery hurt me, but I was the one controlling much of that pain. Someone else who has this same surgery might have just a small amount of pain according to them. Would that amount of pain be a lot? Who knows

If I person does more than their knee is ready to do, then most of the time, the pain escalates. Mine did. But, I seldom did that. I followed the Bonesmart Way, Activity Progression of Daily Living, almost totally. This helped my pain level, along with almost constant icing, kept my pain manageable. I didn't take any PT, so I didn't have to worry about anyone else causing me increased pain.

Staying in complete control of everything that is done to our knees in recovery is the key. Knowing when to stop or what not to do is most helpful in reducing pain.

Dr. Hull is still at Tuckahoe Orthro. We must be at opposite ends of the Richmond area since you had 4" of snow.
 
His office use or still is at Stony Point Office park. I am in the West End near Short Pump. Overdoing it very painful yes what I did Saturday was stupid but there are times granted not all the time living alone whether or not like it or not sometimes you have to do things there is no one else so its not like I can ask someone to help.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
There are several of you I rely on and can count on when the knee is acting up. It may not seem like it but it does help. For whats its worth at first last years surgery I thought you all were nuts because as many times as I have been to PT not once did any of the therapist's suggest the " Bone Smart " way. This was first time I tried it. This past week was rough had to pick up car drove in Mom's car to shop got in mine drove back 25 minutes plus a little walking at shop was way too much but yet again no one but me same as what happened Saturday not as far to p/up scripts but going to Aldi's while smaller was full of people then cleaning on top of that when I got home was adding insult to injury.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom