Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Difficult recover after multiple revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I forgot about recovery and boy did I remember yesterday!! There are times due to over activity you pay the price the only person to blame is yourself then you have days like yesterday and your purposely limiting activity so as not to cause any more pain and discomfort and what happens you get for no known reason major pain. Yesterday afternooon close to tears it really hurt. Laid down at 4pm to relax read fell asleep early and thankfully today has been much better not great but better.
 
Glad to hear you are having a better day. Hoping you have more of those as you heal.
 
@Pumpkln
Thanks for the kind words!! It still bugs the heck out of me why I have had to go thru all of this?? Its really frustrating from my point of view most but not all may have 1 to 2 replacements maybe a bilateral,acl, PKR, maybe even a rev. or two and that is it. That is not to say there are others moderators included who have also had their share of trips to the OR for different surgeries anytime a surgery is needed its not something fun but I seem to be a one of a kind and it really is bugging me. It almost seems like I love having knee operated on?? with 20 surgeries its not too far out. Really wish I never had one!!
 
Found out finally something different ( kind of stupid cheap thrills sort of!! ). The measurement maybe off but based on where the staples seem to start and stop under dressing the incision is now 14.5" up until this surgery it was 12". Now curious on how many staples the average has been approx. 53 + or -.
In a warped way of thinking where most dress up in some sort of costume for Halloween my knee is already there!! I could be a version of Frankenstein only difference with me its just the left leg full of scars.
Yeah its pretty dumb also pretty bored getting a good nights sleep is hit or miss only thing I love about this recovery process is nothing!!
 
Hello, I had 65 staples on my right knee and 64 staples on my left knee.
It was a lot , but it actually made the scars very minimal. They seem to be totally disappearing. Of course, I just hit 1 year on my right and it will be a year in May on my left, so it sure didn’t happen overnight.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow you have me beat staple wise. Since I have had so many surgeries on the left knee I have a constant reminder. To me it really does not matter one way or another if scar goes away.
 
Whether or not makes sense or not other than daily activities and basic exercises from in-home PT have not done anything to push my knee to get better. Today after done with PT therapist measured ROM ( I did the bending nor did I go for absolute best!! ) I am at 127!! What I think is the best part this is w/o going above and beyond like some therapists push and make you believe so okay I am a believer!! Last bit of good news dressing comes off today.
 
That all sounds good.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Another one of the days that wish never existed!! Yesterday started off okay thought Pt went ok nothing out of the ordinary Ha Ha until the pain started. It was no so much how bad it hurt but I could hardly walk. Not implying walking great but this was a step backwards the rest of the day was spent ice and elevate.
I am not about to over do it ay too many reasons not to push the exercises were easy no strengthening. There was one that may have caused it and it might have been my fault for doing it wrong?? I was supposed to lay on back and slide leg back and forth that was painful but what I did caused it to hurt worse was sitting up on sofa with leg stretched out on sofa then moved the leg side to side. Pain the rest of the day by hip and left side of knee.
Called the therapist and she was going to check with surgeon on what might be better for therapy she also feels given the history its entirely possible knee is just not ready yet.
Enough with that!! I have 44 staples not as many as before as far as length with knee bent 14". The nurse said it looks good. This knee could be the basis of a soap opera always some new drama what do you think??
 
@Pumpkln or??
While it still hurts its not as severe as some of the days have been. Today taking the 10mg Oxy every 4 hours has kept things somewhat manageable does not mean its great but dealing with it. What is aggravating is trying to stay comfortable and that is hard. With leg on ottoman which is good for extension not so good pain wise, keeping leg stretched out on sofa comfortable but after 10 15 minutes knee gets uncomfortable and have to move it then you guessed pain. If I keep the knee bent all that does causes pain and stiffness which in return getting it to move not pleasant. So yeah I am not surprised by any of this but was always hoping maybe recovery this time would be somewhat easier??
Here is a question, well maybe a few? First due to my history recovery is going to be more painful overall?? Not that any TKR is easy but with me it seems compared to other times I am farther behind then previous. Second as far as PT goes and yes I absolutely agree really!! but once again due to history it will have an effect on therapy? Not referring to going for broke setting records etc but just really just basic exercises as suggested here nothing that involves getting muscles stronger yet. Only reason asking last Thursday what took place with PT was truly very basic as in first time once home from hospital but approx an hour later pain was pushing an 8 could hardly walk ( not that I can walk great anyway ) and had to use crutches even going from room to room usually inside my home I am careful but can manage Thursday and even today has been a little rough but better.
Third final for now!!
Prior to surgery was taking 5mg of Oxy if the pain was bad 1x a day if really bad 2 some days did not take any at all ( amazing what body can get use to pain wise ). My pain Dr. felt even prior to surgery I was taking a very small amount I think my last script prior to surgery was sometime in November and it was for 30 I still had 10 when I got home from hospital. What I am getting to therapist seems to think along with nurse that since I was on pain meds prior to surgery that I have built up a tolerance and therefore my body craves the pain meds when really I do not need them?? I can agree to that if I was taking meds daily and often but I wasn't so correct me if I am wrong please??
Its pretty discouraging when your trying your best and try to keep everyone involved with my care on how I am doing but with what was implied by the pain meds has gotten me pretty frustrated. Monday afternoon will be seeing surgeon for first follow up and see what he says.
Sorry for the rant.
 
I disagree with your nurse and PT about the pain meds, you are taking them because you have pain from your surgery 2 weeks ago.
Sorry to hear they have been judgmental about your pain meds given your recent surgery.

Right now you do not need additional exercise in addition taking care of your fish tanks, and other daily activities you do around your house.

Your PT may be able to help you with gait training, and how to pace yourself so you do not cause additional irritation to your knee.
 
@Pumpkln
Thanks for the reply. I am not always correct but this particular time I totally disagree with the at home PT. What bothers me she is nice but at the same time with her coming to a conclusion w/o knowing the facts is wrong. My gut feeling if the surgeon agrees with me I am going to cancel further visits with her. Really do not care whether she likes it or not bottom line its my knee not hers. You would think the at home PT would have some sense of understanding but in this case apparently not. All she did was talk to the nurse ( he checks blood due to being on warfarin ) and came to conclusion that due to taking pain meds prior to surgery ( did not matter how many I was taking or how often ) the reason for the excessive amount of pain was because I built up a tolerance prior to surgery. Odds are after I speak to surgeon or even before I will no longer have her for at home PT.
 
What I am getting to therapist seems to think along with nurse that since I was on pain meds prior to surgery that I have built up a tolerance and therefore my body craves the pain meds when really I do not need them?? I can agree to that if I was taking meds daily and often but I wasn't so correct me if I am wrong please??
It's probably true that you have built up a tolerance and so each dose of pain killer will have slightly less than the optimum effect. But I don't agree that this is causing you to want the meds when you don't really have pain. Your pain is genuine.
I think they are confusing tolerance and habituation with addiction, which you probably don't have.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Celle
Thanks it really bugs me that I have been truthful and honest about how I am doing. I felt that with everyone on the same page it would only make things easier for me recovery wise or at least so I thought? Yes I am concerned on how the knee feels going by my history after 2 weeks while the knee may not have been pain free ( not even close ) it did feel like to an extent things were starting to get a little better so far have not had that feeling yet. Really wish I had!!. I made it clear to therapist no need to push the knee ROM is or has never been an issue, pushing the knee to the point of major pain is not helping it is in fact going backwards. Her line of thinking the exercises I am doing they are extremely easy not hard. Some are a little harder then others but they are not what you myself or anyone would consider too much too soon. She may want me to do a certain number but if its too much I stop. It seems to me based on what I just wrote is why she feels I have built up a tolerance to the meds. As you read given 30 end of November still had 10 after surgery do not see how I was abusing or taking the meds ( 20 in a month ) that would cause a built up tolerance level. Right now I am taking 10mg was taking 20 and I hope after a few weeks that will be reduced as well.
 
@Celle @Pumpkln
Talked to nurse last night who does labs while I am on Warfarin. I explained what the therapist had said and unlike what she thought how I was taking meds prior to surgery. Yes the therapist did talk to the nurse but the story I was told was different then what took place. The nurse agrees with me along with also saying I should stop PT for awhile to give knee a chance to heal. ( I wonder for some reason a few of the moderators mentioned that @Celle, @Pumpkln!! ) He is reasoning just like I was told here have to give the soft tissue time to heal GEE MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE FOLLOWED THE ADVICE GIVEN HERE?? DUH!!
Bottom line the nurse will be calling the office and let them know that I no longer want the therapist any longer. He called her a drill sergeant and said I am not the first or will be the last.
 
I'm glad you're on the right path now.
 
I agree with Jamie. I'm glad you're quitting PT for a while.
You can always take it up again later, after your knee has had a chance to heal a bit more and get less angry.
 
Maybe if I was nicer to my knee like @sistersinhim things would not have gone south!! She mentioned playing certain types of music etc to help with her recovery. In my opinion whatever works great!! Really glad there are others that agree with the Bone Smart way of recovery. The nurse has been great he said the therapist has had problems with others as well and he said he was going to have a talk with her. My only concern did not want to come across as being mean nor was I trying to cause anyone problems all I want is what anyone wants proper care and honesty. Next step see what surgeon has to say later today.
 
I agree, quitting PT is the right thing to do, and let your knee heal. As I said earlier, you get plenty of exercise around your house and caring for you fish tanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom