THR Difficult Post operative LTHR

Yes it is a Rocky road isn't it! I'm still really struggling to sleep on my back, my leg has to be raised. It's still very painful when the meds start to wear off. Not walking much....only to the toilet and back. Most of my time is spent in bed due to swelling when I sit. I'm still icing my hip. Not putting much weight on my leg and when I do it feels longer and twisted at my knee which is also quite painful. Came back to re read posts and ease my mind and to vent a little..there's only so much I can put my other half through!
 
This is the place to vent and we all understand the need to do so. We put enough demands on our caregivers without sharing our every anxious thought. I know my mind is usually in overdrive with all topics "hip".
Do you have a way of elevating your feet if sitting in a chair or couch? Try to get up walking just a little bit too as it does help with swelling but don't overdo it. (maybe just include a loop through the kitchen on your way to & from the washroom for starters) I do wonder why your knee feels twisted? I assume it must be swelling making it feel like that. Are you icing that also? Keep your chin up, you should feel like you are starting to turn a little corner in week two or three.
:flwrysmile:
 
:hi: Glad you are still icing that hip...you can ice your knee too if it is swollen and sore.
Apparently THR surgery can be rough on the knee as many members complain if knee issues.
The feeling that one leg is longer is also common after hip replacement...
Below is an article on Leg Length Differential.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/leg-length-differential-lld.6173/
Keep the faith @Lady Bear ! All temporary...
 
Sorry to hear about all your pain after surgery. It is difficult after surgery and although different for everyone it seems that no one can explain just how painful it is until you've had one. I was on 2 oxycontin every 3 hours for 2 weeks amongst other things. I set my phone alarm every 3 hours to remind me to be ahead of the pain. I totally weaned off by week 4 to one a day. I didn't have a stool for 8 days. Icing also really helped as everyone recommends on this forum. Hang in there as it does get better. My OS told me when he looked at my X-ray in December ( he then said he couldn't believe I was doing as well as I was seeing how bad the arthritis was) and compared it to what he saw in surgery it had deteriorated. I had waited 2 years to get the surgery as I was in denial and then from fear. I had finally recovered from a torn meniscus in my right knee from a fall at work over computer wires that had fallen down and then due to overcompensation or whatever I developed arthritis in my right hip. It probably was always there but showed its face a week later. I was in so much pain the last 3 weeks. I believe that is why my recovery has been a bit slower than others. But here I am at 10 weeks tomorrow and I can walk unaided though I still use the cane most of the time. I still have a long way to go and I overdo it a lot but want you to know this forum is amazingly supportive and each day and each week you will see improvement and healing. Your recovery is going to be slow but steady. Good luck!
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope things are going better for you since you last posted.
We'd love to read an update and see how you're progressing. Please leave one next time you stop by.
Have a lovely Spring! :flwrysmile:
@Lady Bear
 
Hi all. Thanks for your ongoing support. The people and this forum really are fantastic! I apologise for such late reply, I have just paid my bill and am now back in the land of the internet! I have been doing what was suggested. Icing/elevation and resting. I'm better than I was I'm moving around easier but still have so much pain at night. I'm still on two crutches but I'm in no hurry to speed things along....it will take as long as it takes! I am doing a bit more walking too....just around the house and in the garden. I also made dinner two nights ago....it took it out if me a bit but mentally felt really good for doing it.
I saw the doctor this morning... He said I can take my dressing off! ....I've tried peeling it off but my scab is coming off with it so I thought I'd better leave it as I don't want any germs that could lead to infection. Its just so irritating!!!
He reassured me as have many of you in this forum have that my leg was in a state before I had it done and it may take longer to heal because if it. Thought about getting a mobility scooter so I can get my dog out for a walk! Or maybe that might be a bit too soon! Still finding the exercises very difficult as I have a lot if muscle wastage from before the op and a bit afterwards so doing little and often. Hope your all doing ok
When did you all take your sticky bandage of your hip? Did your scab come off with it?!
 
@LadyBear
When the bandage came off it didn’t take the scans off as it’s only sticky around the edges!!

It felt itchy though!!!

I’ve a little red beep beep motor scooter that I use on longer walks with the dogs... so handy!

You seem to be going so well... long may it continue!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Lady Bear … I agree with you to err on the side of caution....You can always step things up, but, once you overdo it, it's more difficult to get things to calm down. This is my second hip replacement and so I am trying not to make the same mistakes I made with my first. Of course, other bumps in the road have happened! The PT I met with today said that with today's surgeries, many of us go home within a couple of days, but we have to remember this is major surgery.

I also had steri strips that were stuck on hard. I purchased a spray online to help "unglue" the stickiness. It helped greatly. It's called Sensi Care sting free adhesive releaser....it worked very well....I do hope they come off for you soon, though. It was just one more step free!
 
You are right to take your time @Lady Bear - particularly use the crutches to keep your back straight and work on your gait. Much better than coming off too early and limping.

Re the pain at night, are you using painkillers and also using ice? My recovery was a bit slow as was in a bad state pre-op but both helped. But it is so worth it in the end. Not quite there yet but so much progress albeit slowly!
 
@Lady Bear , not sure what kind of dressing you have. With mine, there was a white thick bandage that the nurse took off a couple days ago, and then a clear see-through bandage that kind of comes off on its own (I have to keep cutting the loose part off every day). I would definitely talk to your doctor before removing your bandage if it is pulling scab off with it — that does not sound good.
 
I'm wondering if the scabs have fallen off under the bandage. I am three weeks ahead of you and my scabs have been gone at least a month. It's a pity the doctor didn't take the dressing off when you saw him.

I have a lot of atrophy from 5 years of very poor mobility also. Although I can't walk too far yet, I can walk and am trying to build on that slowly. It's my opinion for myself that if I got a scooter, I would get lazy and use it rather than walking which in turn would compromise my long term recovery. I do use them at grocery stores still though.
 
Hi all. Thanks again for all your replies so.....we took the sticky dressing off and most if the scab came off with it ... I'm very lucky to have a very thin scar so not too much scab came off. Phew! Doc told me to put another dressing on it and to still not get it wet. I'm having a lot if issue with my groin and buttock. Very uncomfortable pain when sitting and especially at night time and in the morning. I can't straighten my leg when in bed. I can hardly move it in the morning and have to lift my leg with my hands..... Doesn't feel right in my buttock just want to get in with things!!!
I am icing/resting/elevating. It doesn't seem to make any difference. It's better when I'm standing...I can still feel pain but it definitely is better when standing.
I'm finding it very difficult to navigate....if I'm doing too much or not enough. Does anyone else have similar issues with the pain I'm experiencing? Or having difficulty navigating wether your doing too much or not enough?
 
Good Morning, :wave:
Sorry about the pain you're experiencing. The Activity Progression for THR is an awesome resource to use as a rough guideline of activity you may be engaging in for the first couple months. You may find yourself ahead, you may be lagging behind a bit. Let's have @Josephine weigh in on the pain you mentioned and inability to straighten your leg at six weeks post op. In the meantime, here is the article I mentioned above - https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
I hope today is a good one!
@Lady Bear
 
Can you show me the site of the pain you are experiencing using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] Difficult Post operative LTHR




After that, I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Hi @Lady Bear
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing better these days. Please leave an update next time you stop by. We'd love to read about your progress.

If you're still dealing with pain, you can use the chart the forum nurse left above and the small diagram to the far left shows you how to pinpoint the pain you've described. Please leave the letter and numbers (below) that signify the location and, Josephine, will try to advise.
Wishing you a great week!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom