THR Difficult Post operative LTHR

Have limited funds at the moment so can't go out buying lots of different things to help. I can stretch to some dried figs to see if that will help the process along!
 
Hi @Lady Bear. It’s good to see you on the other side, but I’m sorry you’re going through such a rough time. I’m now two days post op and it’s definitely been tough managing pain and all the issues that come along with it. I hope you can get your pain under control and find some relief for your constipation. I’ve been having the opposite problem - really bad diarrhea for the last day. It’s amazing how recovery is different for everyone. Please don’t let it get you too down - it’s a long process that will hopefully result is a greatly improved quality of life. I have nothing to add to what others have said about your specific issues. Just know that you have a lot of support here on this forum.
 
Sorry so much pain.... I have not had surgery yet, but medication that I have to take daily gives me problems. I eat plain yogurt with a fairly well ripe banana, and strawberries or blueberries in a blender for lunch every day. If I miss I have trouble with constipation, but not nearly as bad as it sounds for you right now. You could try yogurt see if adding it to your diet helps and smoothies go down well if you have no appetite.
 
Dear Lady Bear:
I recently dis-engaged (temporarily) from this website just to take a break from it all- the "all" being my constant obsession with my surgery 24/7...I just wanted to think about something else, ANYTHING ELSE but the dang surgery. So sorry to hear about your pain dear. Pain turned me into a gothic, bloody I-don't- know-what but I never want to see that person again...
I, like you, had a pretty rough start to my LTHREVISION on April 1st, about33 days post-op now.
You have chosen the right place to come and share your pain, frustration, anger and the good days too, with BS as you'll be having more and more of them (good days) as time goes by.
The people on this website have been and continue to be my lifeline through what has now been my 4th joint surgery.
Please hang in there- it WILL get better...so happy you found BONESMART.
 
In those early days/weeks, it often seems like it's one thing after another. For those of us who had never had hip surgery before, everything seems alien and it's hard to know what to worry about and what is perfectly normal. And then when you have stomach issues on top of the pain related to the surgery, it really is hard to deal with---I feel for you. You might see if your doctor can switch your pain meds to something that causes less constipation. I know that hydration helps, but I also know how hard it is to choke down something that tastes awful. (I just had to do a colonoscopy prep and it was horrid!!!!) Are you eating much? I hope you get some relief soon.:)
 
Thanks again for your reply's
I'm eating ok. All bran/spinach/little bit of smoked salmon /broccoli/rocket/fish/oranges/apples. Getting some dried figs brought round today!
Had quite a rough night sleep last night 11 days post op now... Finding it VERY DIFFICULT to lay flat with my leg straight...it hurts so much. I accidentally fell asleep with my leg raised last night and I'm paying the price this morning.
My OS did say he has lengthend my leg too...feels like everything is stretched to the max when I try and lay flat to sleep, also feels longer and my knee feels twisted and very strange . Hope everyone is doing ok this morning, especially those on the early days of recovery ❤️
 
:hi:
Finding it VERY DIFFICULT to lay flat with my leg straight...it hurts so much. I accidentally fell asleep with my leg raised last night and I'm paying the price this morning.
Curious, what problems did your leg being raised cause?
I don't know if I could have slept with my legs flat. I had a small fleece blanket rolled under my knees for a slight elevation in order to get comfortable.
Only problem was my heels would get a but sore so I had a small sheepskin under those to keep friction down.
My legs wanted to wiggle alot.
Those muscles and tendons are traumatized and tight...so try to make sure you are icing all you can!:ice:

Hope today is a better day.:SUNsmile:
 
I too found sleeping easier with a small soft pillow under my knee & I used a soft shower mat under my heels.
On my first THR it was the pain in my knee that was worse than anything.... it took a while but did wear off eventually when I was walking more & stretching the muscles out.
Often the pain is caused by our ‘bad gait’ pre op.
Do hope it sorts out quickly for you @Ladybear x


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@Mojo333 I slept better with my leg raised, I had 3 staggered pillows and my leg was quite high, I did this because my knee was very sore and swollen. when I awoke the had pain in my lower left back and left buttock and terrible shin pain. It's been 4 hours since I got up and the pain is subsiding (with the help of pain killers!) I'm having a lot of shin pain.
@Hoppy Nanny thank you I'm definitely going to try a smaller support for my leg tonight.
Did/t are you all alternating from bed to chair? A chair all day? Bed all day ?
I find sitting in a chair for an hour makes my leg swell.
As Debru4 mentioned it's seems like there is one thing after the other in the healing process!
 
I'm sorry your knee is giving you fits.
Are you able to elevate your leg while sitting up.
I had my faithful recliner for my recovery...even slept there for quite some weeks.
Is it possible someone could help get you a used one?
 
@Mojo333 Yes that's a good idea, thanks.
My friend is here with me reading all the posts and has offered to go to the red cross shop to see if we can borrow one or find a cheap one somewhere
 
:yes!: for friends and family, @Lady Bear I also spent a couple of weeks being unable to feel comfortable, trying to sleep on my back. There was a lot of shuffling from bed to recliner for a day or two and then decided to just start and end my nights in the recliner. Made a world of difference. Best wishes for the great recliner search. Hope you find a perfect solution!:flwrysmile:
 
A small pillow under your knees when you sleep will help ease any lower back pain and may also help that knee. They grab and twist your knee during the procedure so it is very common to have a sore knee post op. And if you have had your leg lengthened - yes that adds to the discomfort. Ice and elevate as much as you can.
 
Hi @Lady Bear I so know where you are coming from. I have had the hip replacement from hell. My surgeon damaged the femoral nerve so I have a dead leg but agonizing nerve pains. I have just been prescribed a nerve blocker and it is certainly taking the raw edge off my pain. I am just over four weeks post op and had hoped to be able to do so much more at this stage... Epsom salts is explosive for constipation… I mean explosive. I think you can probably buy them in the pound shop...or if you want to pm me your address I can send you some as I have a huge bag full.
 
Hi @Fairydell thats really awful ..sorry to hear that. Glad to hear the tablets are taking the edge off and I hope in time things will get better for you. Thanks for recommending Epson salts...is that used in the bath? My leg feels like a lead weight, I have to manually move it and feels so strange. It's been unbearable pain from the beginning and was given 300mg gabapentin 3 times a day and the liquid oxycodone with paracetamol and ibuprofen. When it wears off over night it's excruciating. Definitely nerves and muscles have taken a beating. Best wishes.
 
This is what I found for epsom salts, who knew? dissolve 2 to 4 level teaspoons of Epsom salt in 8 ounces of water and drink the mixture immediately

When it wears off over night it's excruciating.
I would suggest setting your alarm to take your medications at night for the first two weeks or so. Much better to wake up and face the day without being over the edge with pain.
 
Be a bit careful when buying Epsom salts as I think there are different grades. You need 'food grade'. It's great for soaking your feet in. It's also good for bathing in but you must rest for at least a couple of hours afterwards as it draws all the toxins from your body. I accidentally bought twice as much as I needed from amazon.. I think I have about ten kilos... yup ... that reads ten kilos. It will last a very long time. I soak my feet in it and then pour it on the garden... Its great for the plants.
 
@LadyBear
I just seemed to go from bed to chair... tried every receptacle available... the best one for me was my sofa with two pillows at my head and a very small soft one under my knees...
In a couple of weeks it will be a distant memory & you will be able to sit anywhere... comfortably... honest!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
:hi:Hope you are keeping the ice going and things are getting to a mild roar.
This recovery road can be rocky these first weeks.
Healing hugs coming your way.:friends:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom