THR Did it, tied right shoe lace!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still can't reach my foot to tie my right shoe. But then again, I haven't been able to reach it since 2003. I CAN however now reach the outside of my right ankle - something I haven't been able to do since 2003. I can shave all the way down my right leg and I can barely touch the inside of my right ankle while sitting. It is hard to touch my big toe as I much stretch my right shoulder a lot.

I think after I dislocated my right hip when I was 13 (1989) I think my right shoulder got tight. I don't know.

In the beginning I was seeing major jumps in my recovery from one week to the next during the first 14 weeks of my recovery. But after week 15, things began to slow way down. I still can't sit Indian style. I must sit in water/bath and then I can do it. I think I was able to get up to a hip flexion of about 100 on my own when I had my very last PT session on November 4th. I had 18 sessions of PT from Aug to November.

I read somewhere that one person can go for a walk (10 mins or an hour, does not matter) and feel all loose. But when she sits - even if she sits for 20 minutes - she get's stiff as a board all over again. I get like that. I can't sit for 2 hours. I can't even sit for 1 hour. I must get up and walk after 1 hour. But if I get up and walk (a few steps or stand for 3 mins), and if I sit back down - my limp comes right back. Those first 10 steps are always limps. I hate that.

I was told that I'm "going to be stiff, just face it" from this new quack doctor since I had my 6 month x-ray on the 29th of Jan 2014. I wanted to see my surgeon, but I think he was in surgery at the time. I don't care about the numbness so much (I am getting some feeling back in the middle of my 8 inch scar). I don't care about the redness since I'm using wonderful silicone gel and pads. I was told from this new doctor "give yourself some credit you are going really good for only 6 months post op" and of course I go back for my yearly in Aug 2014.

I walk weekly and I play racquetball almost daily. I also dance 4 days a week. I was told from this doctor that I will "never" get the full range of motion back again like "before". But before what? Before I had my total hip replacement (age 38 Aug 2013) or before I dislocated my hip when I was 13? I just want to be able to reach my shoe and tie my shoe laces. I'm freaking 38 years old and what? My mom dies and then what? A shoe horn will not tie shoe laces.

Will I ever be independent again like I was back before 2003? (I was 27 and it has been 11 years since I haven't been able to reach my right foot).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I made some typos above. I mean . .will I still be STIFF say at 2 years post op? I can't stand this stiffness. Does the scar tissue ever go away?
 
Okay so I checked. . . 35 people read this. But no one is 1-2 years post op that can help me and give me some guidance? really?
 
I'm now 6 months post op from a THR (right hip). I'm 38, I walk, and play racquetball and I take warm epsom salt baths 2 times a month.

I'm stiff as HELL and when I sit for 30 mins or longer - I get my limp right back. I can walk off my limp in 10 steps. If I exercise, my hip is fine. It goes back to stiff as a board just 5 minutes after any exercise. I was told that "this is normal due to the scar tissue".

having this new hip gave me my life back.

I'm looking into getting a massage - a deep tissue massage. I can get my 1st one for $50 and then the costs goes up from there. I'm hoping the deep tissue massage will help break up that scar tissue.

******(My hip is very strong, I can go up and down stairs normally, I can stand on my right leg along and balance on my R leg for a good 20 -30 seconds. I can jog . . .for very short bursts of time. So if anyone is reading this and you are 2 or 4 weeks post op - It WILL get better - the first 8 weeks were the hardest for me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @sandee , I had my THR in May of 2010 and it took over one year to be able to say I was mostly recovered and another year before I really felt confident in tackling any long distance walking. Now - well I have back issue so I am stiff. But I can honestly say I don't think about my hip anymore.

You coped with a bad hip for 10 years. At 6 months you still have lots of healing to do. Please don't be hard on yourself. You will get back to being able to do things on your own. And no, I don't agree with your surgeon about being stiff forever. You are learning to walk the right way again. Give it time and most importantly patience.

Have you spent any time in our Library? Lots of good information on realistic recovery times.
 
@sandee. It's difficult to say that you will/ won't be stiff 2 years post op....because everyone's recovery is so very different.....that's probably why you have had little in the way of responses...plus a lot of us are only weeks/ months into our journey...like yourself....however, you seem to be doing quite a lot of exercise, dancing, racquetball , etc....isn't that a significant improvement ? you will be as independant as you want to be. I can't do my shoe laces up at 4 months...no probs, I wear shoes I can slip on...I can't put my socks on without a sock aid.....but I get them on....somehow. Perhaps you are obsessing too much about what you can't do rather than just how far you have come......just a thought my dear ...wishing you all the best...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Actually I had a bad hip from 1989 to 2013 - about 24 years? got really really bad once 2002/2003 came around. I remember being in bible college in 1997 and I said to myself back then "Wow, I can barely reach my right foot to put my nylons on. thank god I can reach since I have to wear these nylons daily". I left bible college in May 2001. By 2 years after that - that ability was gone. I can't imagine still being in the "beginning stages of recovery since my hip feels do darn good! (I mean I have no pain). So if it has been 24 years with a bad hip - eh! 2 years? That is a drop in the bucket to wait to get the "normal" feeling back. I'd even wait 3 years to get that normal feeling back. 24 years with a bad hip is too long
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I think I am obsessing about my shoes.

And I was told from my surgeons that most of my progress would go very fast in the first 12-14 weeks and then the next - 6 months and then the slowest recovery time would be from 6 months to 18 months.

I enjoy pleasant surprises though.

thank you for puttin' me straight.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If I exercise, my hip is fine. It goes back to stiff as a board just 5 minutes after any exercise. I was told that "this is normal due to the scar tissue". I'm looking into getting a massage - a deep tissue massage. I can get my 1st one for $50 and then the costs goes up from there. I'm hoping the deep tissue massage will help break up that scar tissue.
It kind of amuses me how people will say 'it's scar tissue' like some kind of placebo! What they really mean is adhesions and hips don't get adhesions! Otherwise the usual kind of scar tissue or scarring, is what held your wound together so you wouldn't want to get rid if that, now would you? I wouldn't mind betting that your problem is tendinitis but more on that later.
Anyone that is 1-2 years post op - can you please let me know if this stiffness goes away?
No - nobody can. Some people are stuck with it but most can get rid by adjusting their life-style.

But to start with, I have some questions to ask you

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

2. are you taking any pain medications for this, if so what, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

4. are you still doing any kind of PT/exercises? If so, how much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! reps, sets and session and all that)
 
I don't any any pain. I had minor groin pain in Dec but I think that was due to walking since I had a cane until Nov 4th. that groin pain only lasted 2 weeks.

My activity level is described above. I play racquetball 4 days a week and I also play soccer 2-3 days a week- if you want to call it that. I just kick the ball and jog with it as I kick it. I play racquetball for about 20-25 mins and then I go to the soccer ball for another 10 mins. I also walk. When I take a walk it can last from 20 mins to 35 mins at a time depending on time of day, the weather, and if I have more time to walk longer. I exercise 4-5 days a week. I do shopping on a regular basis usually the 4th since that is my EBT day. I do housework, but I don't know how doing this is going to help me. I don't vacuum weekly since we don't have a good vacuum. I think housework is (to me) irrelevant for me. I'm not 85. it's not like I can't go outside and exercise.

For the PT stretches I do them weekly. I don't know what it is called,but I put my right foot up on a chair and I try as I might - lean in to try to touch my right foot. It is hard since I haven't been able to lean on right leg/hip since 2003. I don't think I've been able to lift my leg up like that (say on a toilet lid at 17 inches) since age 13. 13 is when I dislocated my hip. I'm thinking about going to a chiropractor since I KNOW my spine or pelvis has been off since age 13, since this is when it all started for me.

I'm now wondering if a deep tissue massage would be BAD for my hip and the tight muscles around the hip capsule.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
to clarify, my hip stiffness is only on the outside of the hip - **near the 8 inch incision****

I don't have any stiffness in the groin area and no pain. (Which is wonderful for me since before since I had pain in my hip since about age 24). After my THR - I almost forgot what it was like to NOT be in pain.
 
Hi @sandee, I am 26 months post surgery and still can't put my own socks or shoes on - stiffness, yes, but suspect mine is coming from chronic OA in my lower back. Here is an article about healing timeframes and processes the body has to go through to recover :)

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
@Poppet,


ah thank you for this information. It just goes to show that the word "recovery" is not only very subjective, but also individualized.
Soooo. needless to say - I'm learning to be - subjective and learning how to recover from this hip. What I can do at 6 months post op may not be what another man can do at 1 year post op.

I can say that I'm not really looking forward to when I turn 60 since it will be 22 years into the future and by that time - I will probably be looking at a REVISION surgery and from what I've read - revisions to hip replacements are NOT that successful as the first hip replacement. (I was told 20-25 years is the life span of hip replacements).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @sandee it sounds like you are doing great!!! Well done....especially since you've had problems since the age 13

I can put my own shoes and socks on but it is easier if I sit on the stairs to do it.

I'm a bit early to help you much but just wanted to say hi and offer my support
 
Wow. You can reach your foot and put a sock on and you had your surgery in Sep 2013? Ah, I think my issues is because I haven't been able to reach this sucker for 12 years! I think If I had the flexibility before my surgery, i'd have it now. Don't dislocated your hip when you are 13, that is all I can say! Thank you for the support!
 
be back later in the year. Thank you for all of the support. I never imagined that an online message board for knee and hip replacements would help so much.

I DO see small tiny progress with my hip flexibility month to month instead of week to week.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck to you....hope you get the progress you want......I still can't get to my socks/shoes...think it's due to back Flexibility really.....looking forward to reading your progress later in the year....good luck with your progress chart...hope you fill it up....Cheers...Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
26 weeks . . I went to Oceanside on Monday Feb 10th right on 26th week post op. I told my mom that I'd stay in the water most of the day. Then I forgot "how will I get my foot/leg into right leg of wet suit if I can't reach foot for my socks?" Then I said, "Darn, I guess I will not be going in the water".

Lie. I was born in July - I'm a Cancer. When I got there with my friend we took one picture and then I RAN into the ocean. I mean I was running like Forest Gump. Cold as hell . . . but I did it. No wet suit. I went as deep to let the water get up to my belly. The waves were not that high.

I wanted to get in the water for my hip - not only to have fun. While the results for having fun came back almost immediately, it seems I am still seeing results from Monday's activities (today is only Wednesday). I seem to be less stiff.

I haven't been paying extreme attention to my hip now. I'm hoping in the coming weeks I don't find that the ocean water bumped me too hard. We were only there for 3 hours and I was only in the water for all of 45 minutes. It felt good having to use my legs to waddle through the waist high water. I have my full body massage coming up on Feb 19th. After next Wednesday I will post any progress for those that are not here yet.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom