THR Did I really have an operation? 1 year post op!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ochaye

Hi John
Apologies for my late response.
Well, regarding your question about muscle issues, ı have a long story from childhood, several ops on each hip, which means each time there is a cut, muscles gets more and more worn out.
However, ı am swimming a lot which helps muscles to stay strong and my joints flexible etc.
My OS started physio before even leaving the hospital and it continued for a couple of weeks with the physioterapist coming home. This helped muscles to recover quickly as well. But ı had so many ops before thus there will always be slight limping ı suppose?
The need of cane did not last long, ı do not recall excatly but ı still keep it next to the umbrellas in case i may need if there is snow on the street or if ı m going to walk a long distance (but due to my other hip )...etc
You may have a quick look at my post op thread as ı posted my recovery like a log book.
Take care and if you have the opportunity of a pool around, swim 3-4 times /week. Even 20 min will help.
Best of luck
Selin
 
@Vetgirl
Hi Sally,

I wish you best of luck for your revision surgery on the 19th of March 2014.
All will be fine.
My prayers will be with you.
Stay positive.
Selin
 
Hi @sansabosa, it's sounds like you are doing great. It has been a year and what a year it's been. I don't come on here much anymore which is good, means I have gone on with life. Can't believe how much better life is now since my operations and recoveries.
 
So glad to hear from past friends who are celebrating anniversaries. I celebrated Jan 22 and just had my 1 yr check up. Dr. said everything looked great and I thanked him and his remark was "I had the easy job" "you did all the work". Glad it is over and I can live life to the fullest.
 
Hi Selin,
I had my right hip replaced 11 months ago. Like you, I am grateful to Bonesmart for all the help and encouragement received during the first few months after the operation. Wretch that I am, I drifted away from the group in time and though I did (and do) continue to drop in once in a while, I never had anything to contribute, so I never posted.
Anyway, for what its worth, here has been my 11 month experience:
1 month post op - Felt good with minimal pain. Could move around the house without too many problems. My walker was replaced by a cane and I started going out and walking.
2 months post op - Goodbye cane. No pain and a great deal of mobility and flexibility of the hip. Still a little difficult to do some things like putting on shoes etc.
6 months post op - Almost complete mobility and I tended to forget that I ever had the operation. Still a few very minor flexibility issues but nothing else.
11 months post op - Even the little flexibility problems faded away over the last few months. I never noticed the slight but continuous improvement. Maybe it was because the results exceeded my expectations that I did not notice.
Today - Its like I never had a problem with the hip. Except for the scar, there is nothing to remind me of the pain and discomfort of a year ago. I can now walk further and faster than I did before the osteoarthritis set in. I fact, I can do more of everything - including some things I don't think I should be doing!
That's my story. I know that this post does not help anyone, but its nice to be back and I thought I would put in my 2 bits.
I will keep checking in but I probably won't post because I really have nothing of value to offer. However, I anyone has any questions I'd be happy to respond. I'm from India and if there are any hippies from India here, I'd love to hear from you.
Thank you Bonesmart and everyone here! Better late than never, I guess.

Mondo
 
Mondo....nice to have you back! And, my friend....you are sooooooo wrong about your posting! This latest post will be VERY valuable to other members and guests (those who read BoneSmart but never join). These folks are often hungry to hear success stories like yours!!

So, I'll suggest to you that you come and post when you have a few minutes to spend. Tell everyone the things you're doing with your new hip. It may sound boring and mundane to recount everyday activities, but HONEST....people who are hurting need to know this will be possible with their new hips!

And....I'm thrilled to hear that you are doing so well. This is what we never tire of hearing from our members!!! So, enjoy yourself and your newly reclaimed life!
 
Hi from me too Selin!
Great report! Great outcome.
You ...and lots of others...including @mondo_caine and @sandybeach are just two of the wonderful hippies who gave me the support and inspiration after my op last April. AND @Jamie whose responses were always so positive. The support of the people on this forum was invaluable to me. I'm extremely grateful!
Like @mondo_caine, I have drifted away and must check in and post more often. That I will certainly do on April 5... My 1 year anniversary. Life could not be better for me. I am fit, no aches, no pains..in fact, as a congenital dysplasia hippie I have never been this fit or mobile! Fantastic. A challenging op with leg lengthening and femur repositioning has made such a difference to my life. I'm on cloud 9!
Soo...to all those hippies who are recent post op members....or even pre op. You will be amazed as time goes by. Good luck to all!:thankyou:
 
It’s been 1 year plus since I had my right hip replaced. I know everyone has to recover in their own way, so I don’t want to get into how to deal with the physical issues of it. By the way – I had a really easy time and I’ll forever be grateful for it.

Since Jamie has asked me to post once in a while I thought I should write about the non-physical aspects of the recovery. It's a time when your physical movements may be somewhat restricted, but your mind has the kind of freedom it normally never has. Make the most of it. Remember all those old friends you keep planning to reconnect with? This is when you can do it. And what about all the reading you kept putting off? There’s no time like now. DVDs you have long wanted to see, emails you wanted to send but never got around to, music you never were able to listen to enough, relaxed time with the family – if you think about it there is a ton of stuff that you can and should be doing.

It’s going to take your mind off the discomfort and by the time you are able to resume your normal activities there will be so much that is new in your life. I know – it happened to me. New people, new ideas, new things to try out, existing relationship with family taken to a new level – it all happened to me. I felt like a snake that has shed his old skin and was enjoying the feel of something new.

Sorry if I sound like I’m pontificating. There will be pain and discomfort. Setbacks and frustration are givens. But this is the time when you are free. Free to do (or at least think of) all the things you never had time for before. There is no pressure on you to get to office. No housework to be done. Not demanding social obligations to be met. This is a time for you. Make the most of it.

When I think back to those weeks in bed and being confined to the house, I really feel like it was a watershed period in my life. With a pain free hip and an a lot do to and look forward to this can be the time to kick start your life anew. It was for me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with @mondo_caine The recovery time after my first surgery was an eye opener for me. I was getting my life back, and I realized that I wanted more from the next 30 or 40 years than just coasting in retirement. I made decisions then and put into motion the forces that now have me fulfilling a lifelong desire to attend law school. Amazing twists and turns occur in this journey we call life. The twists that seem like roadblocks can turn out to be the best thing that ever happened. The early months....the first year.....let yourself flow with it. And then let us all know where it took you.

Sharon
 
Great and inspiring posts, guys!!! I love the way you think!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom