Guest viewing is limited

THR Diary of my journey to happy times

Laughing at the thought of your cat locking itself in the bathroom! I think cats enjoy having a closed door that they can bid their human to open for them.

I realise that my invisible-dog leash will also have a future career. Our house has windows that swing outwards and then stumpy legged me can’t reach the handle to pull them closed. The lasso will be perfect!
 
Hi @Klassy
I definitely had those errant jabs and zaps out of nowhere for the first few months post op and it was surely disconcerting.:unsure:
Thankfully they were mostly fleeting pains as they WERE intense.

You are doing just great....but lots of healing still happening, as you know.
Hope your week is Sweet.:flwrysmile:
 
When my grandchildren come to visit my grabbers offer endless hours of entertainment - the 2 yr old loves picking up anything from the floor (I purposely leave bits of 'rubbish' for him) - the older children do fencing style tournaments with each grab earning a point. It's hilarious. No toys needed!
 
14 minutes past midnight on Day 28. Woke up and can’t get back to sleep.
I have the 4 week blues. I am so fed up. I have the Hip 2 blues. When I had the Hip 1 blues, I would obsessively read other hippies’ threads to get an idea of what to expect. Now I am obsessively referring back to my own thread.

Well, since I am doing it anyway, let me while away some of the sleepless hours making comparisons.

I’ve already noted that much of the recovery is so similar, it’s spooky. A couple of differences that may be to do with the different surgical team.

I could lie on my back with knees drawn up at least a week earlier this time, and didn’t have that bruise-behind-knee feeling.

My scar progressed differently because of being stapled not glued/stitched. Staple removal obviously a big minus. But an advantage of staples was that the incision was fully visible when dressing changed on Day 3, 8, and 13, and I had no dressing after staple removal on Day 14. I preferred this to the situation with Hip 1, where I didn’t get to see the wound until Day 21, and kept imagining it infected and disgusting under the thick dressing. It wasn’t, of course, but I always imagine the worst. The scar immediately after staple removal looked rather revolting, with a ridge of flesh, as if there was a permanent overlap. The nurse who took the staples out warned me it would look this way and assured me that it would disappear in time. I’m not particularly bothered with the appearance because my thighs are not an area of outstanding natural beauty anyway, but I take an interest in its progress. It has improved over the 2 weeks since staple removal, but still looks worse than Scar 1 did at the same stage.

In terms of what I can, or can’t, do, small external things make a huge difference. For example, I was surprised to see that with Hip 1 I didn’t manage to dress myself until Day 21, whereas this time I dressed myself on Day 3. The difference was entirely due to buying a pair of joggers with flares instead of cuffs at the ankles. And as soon as I ditched the stockings this time, I could manage socks with the help of my trusty sock aid, which I didn’t buy for ages the first time.

With Hip 2 I could shower myself at an earlier stage because in our current house the shower enclosure is big enough for a chair. I probably could stand to shower by now, as I first managed on Day 28 of Hip 1, but I think I may as well take it easy and I won’t try until I feel more confident standing without aids.

With Hip 2 I am depressingly behind where I was with Hip 1 in my level of dependency. My husband is doing an awful lot of waiting on me. This is, I think, not related to my physical state so much as the state of our house. We are in the process of renovations and it has run way behind schedule. When it became clear that we weren’t going to have it done in time, I did consider postponing my op, but the hip was too painful.

We managed to complete the downstairs room I am using as a bedroom and its adjoining shower room. The living room still resembles a building site, so there is nowhere safe for me to walk for any distance indoors. The kitchen was only completed this week. It has been coming along in stages during my recovery. In the meantime, my husband has kept us going with a microwave in one room, a mini oven in another room, food and crockery etc in plastic boxes dotted who knows where depending on where the tradesmen were working on any day. Lots of ready meals as you can imagine! But just no way I could get my own meals. If I could even figure out where the relevant box was, it would probably be somewhere I couldn’t reach.

For the first two weeks, drinking water came from an outside tap. So every night I had to remember to check that my husband had filled my water bottles so I would be able to take pills in the night. And we had a fridge but no freezer, which was a nightmare for getting my cold packs. We bought a supply of those packets that get cold from a chemical reaction, but they don’t stay cold for long. Luckily we had a spell of frosty weather so I kept coolpacks in a bucket outside my window!

Even once the kitchen was finished, it has been hard to wrest control of the relocation of stuff into all the lovely new cupboards and drawers. And we have all fancy new appliances which I have no idea how to use yet. The induction hob is going to require a PhD. And then I have to locate the pans…. First world problems, I know.

The other thing that is depressing me in comparing Hips 1 and 2 are the prospects for outings. It was at about the 4 week stage that Hip 1 began to enjoy little excursions for a walk and a coffee and a change of scenery. Where we lived before was in a town, so I could walk on pavement to a choice of cafes. And we were a short drive from the coast, with lots of level walking on the promenades and fresh sea air to enjoy. And a big supermarket to walk in if it was raining. Here, well, I am racking my brain to think of an attractive destination where I can do some easy walking. It’s a lovely area of countryside, but hilly, with muddy uneven paths. Far from the coast. I inspect possible cafes online, but they never appear to have seats with arms. We went out a lot to cafes last time, did I cope sitting on a bistro style chair? Perhaps the ability to sit down without using my arms is about to return to me. And then there is covid to consider. Quite a few people in my circle of acquaintance have been coming down with it lately, and one was quite ill, despite being jabbed and boosted.

I do have a lovely big garden to walk in, but of course, everywhere I look there are bits of gardening I am itching to get on with. Never mind, it won’t be long now. In the meantime, there are snowdrops and crocuses and winter clematis blooming, the robins come to be fed, and the sound of birdsong is amazing.

This is an awfully long post. But oh, I feel so much better for venting!!
 
For those of us who now have had both hips done, I think one of the hardest things to do is to not compare the experience of #1 to #2. Easier said than done……said the girl sitting up at night bc she can’t sleep (me!). I keep thinking I flew through the first THR in September 2021. And every day I end up thinking back and saying, what was I able to do at 5 weeks last time? How come I can’t do it now? Did I do something wrong? Am I not working hard enough? Logically and rationally, I know it’s not the case but the mind has a funny way of catastrophizing things and running away with itself. I must have successfully blocked the most unpleasant parts of the first one.
 
In the meantime, there are snowdrops and crocuses and winter clematis blooming, the robins come to be fed, and the sound of birdsong is amazing.
Lovely! The beauty of nature.

Dear Klassy, please don’t allow the differences you mentioned above affect your mood. You know that no two recoveries are alike, even for the same person. You’re making great strides and you’ve already learned from experience the progress another month will bring.

I too wish that you could find places where you’d be comfortable walking, or dining, since getting out amongst the world is a definite mood booster. The early slog of recovery can be a downer some days for sure. Mentally you’re ready to jump back into life, but your body is holding you back as it’s healing from the assault it endured.

I’m happy you’re comfortable venting here and we never tire of listening and offering support. So feel free to stop by anytime you need a little encouragement, or a virtual hug…which I’m sending right now. I hope you feel it. :console2: We do care and hopefully today feels brighter.:SUNsmile:
 
@Klassy Virtual hugs sent to you :friends: From what you wrote here it seems like many of the differences you are experiencing are due to changes in your circumstances (like major home renovations going on) and other external circumstances (like COVID - bah humbug!)

But I'll tell you that even having had both hips replaced at the same time there were significant differences between the right one healing and the left one healing!

The right one looked bruised from hip to foot for several weeks - the left one did not. Surgeon said right was the more difficult fix as it had fused so required more tunking and pounding - and was first done so when I was flipped to get at the left one right was gravitationally down and blood "pooled" leading to the bruised look.

As right was worse than left it look much longer to get all the muscles working properly - took left about 3 months to be able to put that foot onto right knee - and took the right one about 6-7 months to get foot onto left knee.

It took longer for right to feel steady and strong. Left seemed to whiz right through healing and recuperation while right lagged and felt shaky for quite a while.

So don't worry about the differences - you will get there and when you read your thread a year from now this will all be a memory :)
 
Thank you all so much for your sympathy and support. Virtual hugs feel good.

You are always so sweet @Layla. I think you are right @Magsmom , there is a tendency for our memory to block out some of the lows. And very interesting insights from @djklaugh (one of those awesome two-at-once hippies). Lovely words too , “ a year from now this will all be a memory.”

I woke up with the grumps after too little sleep, but managed to shake it off and take some positive steps. In the morning, we took a nice short drive and stopped when we found an easyish walking spot - a circuit round a picturesque churchyard. It was good to get out, but not ideal so I will keep working to identify destinations. I also got my husband to agree to clear the living room tomorrow - tradesmen are off site for a while so persuaded him it is worth the effort to clear up and create a safe indoor walking space for me. Looking at the weather forecast, I will need one.

In the afternoon I read the manuals for our new appliances. Then in the evening I helped get the dinner. My leg ached from the standing, and I overcooked the vegetables from unfamiliarity with the cooker, but it was worth it to feel more like a functioning adult. And it boosted my gratitude to my long suffering husband! I shall accept his help more graciously, because I can see how much I still need it. But it won’t be forever.
 
@Klassy happy to hear you're feeling a bit better today. Wonderful that you were able to get out for a while, even if it wasn't an ideal location. It will be nice to have a little more room to walk around in.

That's awesome that you're getting to read the manuals for your new appliances and try them out bit by bit. Who cares if something is a little over cooked, there's always a learning curve.

I know it's so hard to graciously accept help when we're so used to do everything ourselves. My husband still reminds me I don't have to be Wonder Woman all the time and it's ok to let him know when I'm having a bad day. Of course that's a two way street, still working on him learning he doesn't have to be Superman always. Hope you have some peaceful sleep tonight. :sleep:
 
Wait!!! You mean I’m not Wonder Woman and can’t do it all without help??!! Shocked. :)

Seriously, fresh air always seems to help a bit even if just for a few minutes. I find I go up and down quite a bit in the course of a day. When I hit a low point, I get outside even if it’s freezing (which it is here, we got 15” of snow last weekend). It’s much too snowy, icy etc to walk in my neighborhood right now so today I went out on the back patio to air out the dog’s beds and just stood there for a while. It was quiet and although cold, not windy. Very peaceful.

@Klassy im laughing at the appliance manuals because I do the exact, same thing! My husband thinks I’m a nerd about it but in my view, he’s a little fly by the seat of his pants……
 
@Magsmom , I am also laughing at the appliance manuals. My husband is actually the keen one, and I am the pantseat flyer, but these latest appliances take it up a whole new level. H kept coming to report on the weirdnesses he had encountered, eg the dishwasher refused to do anything until it was happy with its wi-fi connection. I cannot conceive of using wi-fi to wash dishes, but the only model in stock came with that feature. So I thought I had better depart from my usual habit and look through the manuals. I didn’t bother with the manual that came with the gift set of saucepans and frypan, because any fule know how they work, right? Wrong! I had just finished giving them an initial wash in warm soapy water as per what I thought was normal, when H intervened and said the manual required boiling 3 lots of water then finishing off with rinse aid and taking them out for a drive with the car windows down. I may have got some of that wrong… Anyway, reading and implementing the frypan manual is still on the to do list. But eggs are on the shopping list and an omelette is definitely on the menu!

I was browsing the early pages of this thread, despite all the wise advice and good reasons not to keep comparing hips 1 and 2, and came across this gem of wisdom. So true, so true. I am going to back refer to it often, particularly Ps number 1 and 2. I am so eager to know when I can start lining up my future puppy. But I have to accept that I won’t know till I know.
 
"H intervened and said the manual required boiling 3 lots of water then finishing off with rinse aid and taking them out for a drive with the car windows down. " :rotfl:
 
:hi: Hi….and a belated Happy One Month Anniversary to you, Klassy!
Hopefully you’re having a nice sunny and bright weekend.:SUNsmile:
Thanks for the support you offer here and also for posting a reminder of the Five P’s for Hip Recovery. I hope those reading it find it enlightening.
Wishing you a wonderful week!
@Klassy
 
Thank you @Layla! I have indeed been able to catch a bit of lovely sunshine by timing my visits to the garden between showers. At the moment it is raining, but it was such a dry January that the sound of raindrops is gently soothing not depressing (yet!).

Speaking of dry January, as it is a month since my op it is also just over a month since I drank alcohol. I didn’t particularly set out to abstain, but I just haven’t wanted my usual glass of wine with dinner. Enjoying having a clear head after the post-op dizziness, plus trying to make sure every calorie comes with useful things like iron, fibre, vitamins etc. Or maybe it’s that the dinners haven’t been so wine worthy! Whatever the reason, it feels like an achievement.
 
My husband is out ringing, and in the meantime I have been prepping some vegetables - it feels great to be a bit more capable, and to be gradually claiming the new kitchen. Though I have no idea where the potatoes have been stashed.

I just found no fewer than 6 little slugs in the cauliflower from Aldi. Despite a journey through the supply chain, a wrapping in plastic film and 30 hours in our fridge, they were still alive. But sluggish.

They hadn’t eaten much.
 
Yuk... Slugs in the cauli! A good sign its organic! I once found a worm in a bag of lettuce, 'pre washed and ready to eat'. No thank you.
I also couldn't stomach alcohol for first 4 to 5 weeks, our bodies know what's best if we listen.
Glad you're able to do some food prep, such a simple thing feels such an achievement after this op.
 
Ok, there’s very little in this world that grosses me out. I have a strong stomach for almost anything including watching real hip and knee replcmt surgeries. They’re bloody and manual and absolutely fascinating to me.

But slugs in your cauliflower! Yeeesh!

As someone who has not had any alcohol at all in 25+ years, I can testify that surgeries and recoveries are better without it. But the again, alcohol and I didn’t have a good relationship so we “broke up”. So good on you for hitting the pause button while you recover. Your body needs every chance you can give it to heal itself.
 
An important milestone today. My husband and I rang our first quarter peal on handbells since my second hip op. I realise that sentence is probably incomprehensible to anyone reading this! But it means that I was able to sit still in a chair for over half hour, ringing a bell in each hand 1272 times, concentrating on a pattern without making any mistakes. So my backside, wrists (which have been working overtime on crutches), and brain all performed as I wanted. Success!

Now I am lining up meetings with ringing friends to ring handbells. Happy days!
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
Back
Top Bottom