Guest viewing is limited

THR Unable to walk, lift leg, or abduct leg since THR

Hi LunarEclipse,
How did the physical exam with the neurologist go yesterday, if you feel like sharing?
Hopefully he was able to provide some insight.
@LunarEclipse
 
Hi there,
I hope the MRI on Friday night went smoothly and you're doing okay. I know you had a lot going on with your son's birthday...hopefully it wasn't too taxing and you've had some time to catch up on rest. Please know that we're here for support, always.
@LunarEclipse
 
I had the MRI Friday night (a week later than I thought, originally.) Got the radiology report and images this morning. The radiologist did not know of my specific pain symptoms & functional deficits, just that my hip was being scanned due to “pain”; I still need a specialist to review the MRI in the context of my symptoms. Still, there were some remarkable findings.

It turns out my iliopsoas tendon is MISSING - like, it is not attached below the acetabulum, at all. Since I woke from the operation with severe groin pain and zero iliopsoas function, the tendon was likely accidentally cut during the operation. I mean…HOW?! But here we are. No tendon visible on MRI connecting my femur to the iliopsoas muscle, and zero ability to lift or abduct my leg - even underwater.

On Friday, my PT confirmed zero improvement in any leg function since he first assessed me in February. I’m at about 7% of normal function, 93% disabled. Me, a runner, lifelong athlete!

It took nearly 3 months post-op for any kind of real diagnosis (severed iliopsoas tendon, among other findings); I’m still waiting on the EMG study. That’s coming up May 7.

I’m just so sad. A tendon that’s been severed for 3 months…I don’t know if that can be fixed. I don’t even know when I can get in to see a hip revision surgeon. I can’t walk, bear full weight…and with the nerve symptoms, inflammation and other tendinitis and muscle wasting visible on MRI there’s more going on in there than just a cleanly cut tendon.

My right-side muscles and tendons look fine, which is kind of a miracle since I’ve been pushing my right side so hard these past 3 months. I cover MILES on my crutches some days. And my arms and core are strong, these days! So, there’s that.
 
Wow! That’s unbelievable.
No wonder you are in so much pain.
Sure hope there’s an answer to this current finding.
 
LunarEclipse, I'm sorry you have to endure this.
It's understandable that you're sad, hurting and feeling confused as this drags on for you.
Please hold out hope for the MRI specialists review and actual findings instead of dealing with uncertainty. Hopefully you'll hear some promising news.
Keep us posted, we're here for you.
@LunarEclipse
 
Oh my goodness, @LunarEclipse. What awful news. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. From my research just now, it appears that this is very rare. You might find some helpful background in the links in this NIH article
 
This is a time that you’re going to need to be a very strong advocate for yourself. Now that you’ve seen the results of the MRI, if you don’t hear from your doctor’s office, call them and bug the heck out of them for a consultation appointment to discuss the severed tendon. I believe it can be reattached, but a surgeon would have to confirm this. What I do know is that the longer it goes, the more difficult it would be for you. So time is of the essence. If you’re not getting immediate results from the surgeon, go to an Emergency Room to try and hurry things up. Please let us know how things go. I’m so sorry this happened to you, but right now the most important thing is to get it evaluated and corrected as soon as possible.
 
That case of another 53 year old woman with a ruptured ilipsoas tendon is interesting…I hope I am eventually able to regain some function, as she did.

I do fear my case is different, since the injury happened DURING surgery, and I’ve been unable to walk at all since then. If I ignore the pain and force myself to try to walk a few steps, OR flex my hip much past 90 degrees, I have much worse pain and my nerve symptoms flare for the next few days (shooting pain from my groin down the front of my leg, lateral thigh & front of knee numbness, pins & needles in my foot; after one event, I had temporary paralysis of the quads & adductors.)

I’m still trying to get in to see another surgeon. With the MRI showing a detached ilipsoas (plus tendinitis of glutes and hamstrings, some edema, etc.) and my symptoms starting the day of the operation…they HAVE to take this seriously. Most of the MRI images were bilateral; the report noted all my RIGHT side tendons and muscles as unremarkable. You can clearly see what “normal” for my hip/thigh muscles looks like.

At this point I’m trying to be as gentle with my left leg as possible, to avoid further nerve damage, while I wait to see a hip specialist. Two crutches, no more trying and trying to see if I can get my iliopsoas to engage, no more “testing” to see if it still really hurts to bear weight. Just trying to protect my leg until I can find someone who will help fix this.
 
This cautious approach is best for now. Don’t rule out going to an ER if you are not able to get an appointment with a surgeon soon. This is serious and you need to have it addressed as quickly as possible,
 
Hi LunarEclipse,
Today marks four months since your surgery and we haven't heard from you in several weeks. Wondering if you have any news or progress to share. Please know that we're here for you and we'd love to support you as you move forward.
Hope to hear from you soon.
@LunarEclipse
 
Hi LunarEclipse,
Noticed it's been six months to date since your THR. We'd love to continue following your healing journey and encourage you along the way.

How are you managing from day to day at this point? Hopefully you've enjoyed some progress since we last heard from you. Looking forward to an update with hopes to hear things are moving in the right direction.
Warmest wishes!
@LunarEclipse
 
Happy Seven Month Anniversary!
Hope you're doing well. Have a great September 2026! :)
@LunarEclipse
 
Happy Autumn and Happy Eight Month Anniversary, LunarEclipse! :wave:
If /when you feel up to it, we'd love to hear how you're getting along.
Wishing you all the best! :)
@LunarEclipse
 
Back
Top Bottom