Diane's Knee Quest finally the real deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm terrible at cutting and pasting on my iPad but if you look under the library headings for the library index you can find it under 'surgical stockings do not cut risk of blood clots'. I hope you can find it.

ok I will keep looking, but its encouraging to know, one more piece of good info, that I dont have to suffer with those demon hose ;) Thanks

I did all the pre-op exercises religiously for one month before the surgery. Except for the arm strengthening exercises on my list, which were noticeably helpful, I didn't find them of any use in my post op recovery. I also did regular pool therapy for months and months but, again, I'm not sure any of it transferred to my post op recovery, which for me, has been difficult. Would it have been even harder without them? Maybe, but it's hard to really see. Now, I only found the Bone Smart site after 3months, so my recovery was based on the PT no pain, no gain, do it or else method! Which resulted in swelling, pain, misery. I'd say probably that pre op exercise is probably a good idea for feeling good.

Hi! Good luck on your upcoming surgery. As getting your PT people to go gently--perhaps my experience will help you "explain." To begin, my OS does over 800 knees a year and has been featured in "FORBES." He is really insistent (through his very kind nurse:snork:) that while recovering you do nothing that hurts--mild discomfort--yes, pain--no! Gentle heel slides etc. She says that pushing too hard early on created swelling etc. which simply interfers with the very thing we are trying to court--IE: good extension and ROL. When I went to my first PT session a week after surgery the gal was causing pain so I told them I wouldn't be back until they (and I) had talked to my surgeon. When I went back, I told her it was suppose to be gentle and she said, "I can do gentle." From then on things went well and I ended up really liking her.

Surgical stockings do not cut risk of blood clots, research suggests.

That is the title within the library. It took me a while to copy it. Lol

Surgical stockings do not cut risk of blood clots, research suggests.

That is the title within the library. It took me a while to copy it. Lol

ok found it, but that is mostly referring to risk of blood clots for stroke patients.. but, I see more and more now, that I wont be wearing them... so thanks everyone for the info

The stockings were always used for any patients that would not be up and walking as much as they normally would so that would include those post op surgical patients also. In the hospital, at least we're I have worked recently, they used the electric compression-type pumps that helped to move the blood up in your lower legs. There are several different names but they all work the same.

for my hip my surgeon made me wear those blasted things for 6 weeks, I never knew I had any option not to, ;) till I found bonesmart. I guess with my hip, it was such an overall nightmare, the stockings were never mentioned here. But now I know better , I HEART Bonesmart :)

Just be ready because a lot of OS still say that. You can talk with your OS and then decide.

I would like to point out that the article that is quoted says that the stockings don't do much to help stroke victims, not surgical patients.:good-bad: "Compression stockings are still recommended for patients who have undergone surgery and for people travelling on long-haul flights." Oops!:whistle:

Diane mine may end up in the garbage also, actually it was at the hospital that they told me that I would be wearing them, and he ordered a DVT machine for home use, so...We'll see!

I would like to hear josephines take, burt I know from my own misery experience with them. I would not want to have to deal with that, especially over my newly sliced open knee..

I didn't like my stockings any better than anyone else does (I had to wear them for 6 wks.:groan:); however, I didn't find that they hurt my incision. There is a difference in the stockings as well. I had some from a previous operation that were much more comfortable than the pair they gave me when I had my TKR--needless to say, those are the ones I wore the most.

My surgeon said, "The hospital has a policy whereby you are supposed to wear the stockings for 6 weeks." He didn't say that was his policy and he said nothing to me when he saw at my one-week follow-up appointment that I had removed them.

I had a machine that compressed my calves while I was in hospital and I was discharged with the stockings. I found them very uncomfortable and they seemed to make my knee swell more, as well as being so tight that I felt they were restricting my circulation, not helping it.

Stroke victims are more likely to be confined to bed than post-surgical patients, who are mobilised early. They also may not be capable of doing the ankle pumps that surgical patients are shown, and which help boost circulation.
Once you are up and about, the risk of a DVT is greatly decreased, so I see no point in wearing compression stockings once I am mobile.

I see I'm the lone pro support stocking wearer on the forum. I found, and still find them enormously comfortable ( on my surgical leg). I have thigh highs and it felt, especially in the beginning, that it was holding everything "in" so to speak. They felt supportive. In the rehab I got Ted hose, but when I came home I got the 20-30 mg support hose. Here in Canada they must be prescribed by a doctor, then measured at the store, and are very expensive, but are reimbursed by my extended health coverage. Yes, we have insurance here, too, but it's for enhanced benefits and usually provided by job or union. I also discovered about 3 years ago that the knee -highs relieved my aching legs on long plane rides. I won't fly without them, for comfort. I'm not worried about blood clots as I am on a blood thinner for life anyway. If I know I'm going to be on my feet or out for a long day, I'll wear one. Otherwise my leg swells from knee to foot.

@Josephine Thats what I read and took from it they weren't necessary but another member interpreted that they were from the same article. Hence your expertise was asked for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks