Diane's Knee Quest finally the real deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what? It was still stating - unequivocally - that TEDS don't do what it written on the tin!

ok, your word is good enough for me ;), Im taking it as you believe they are an unecessary evil, and I will avoid them this time around :)

@newlybionic do you have a recovery thread from your tkr the "new" way vs some summary of you first one the "old" way. I need some ammo to share with my husband who is just in the begining stages of "coaching" me that I have to get my mindset going to work hard at PT after my ltkr so I will recover better. He is one of those "drs know best" people. He is a sweetheart, and very helpful & supportive, but, is kinda old school, till persuaded otherwize :)

Thanks for any input I can share that may help

My thread is 'Eight months out and starting over'. I had a TKR last July and then I had it down over March 21st of this year. I list after the revision what differences I've had since I followed the bonesmart way this time. The first time I didn't find bonesmart until I was three months past my TKR so I did all the no pain no gain stuff.

ok todays question is about ice machines. Best brand? and why?

I read the info in the library and there are many choices. I see the name Polar come up here often and wondered if this was the one referred to:

https://smile.amazon.com/Polar-Prod...id=1465836949&sr=8-1&keywords=breg+polar+care

and if so, do you also have to buy the knee wrap thing that is used with it? Is this the same for other machines as well? Which machines have the largest capacity, and therefore last longer and can be filled with blocks of ice as opposed to just cubes

Thanks Bonesmarties! :)

I have the Breg Polar Cube which is very similar to the one in your link. I bought the extra large universal pad. It didn't come with one. The advantage of this pad is that it comes with Velcro straps so you can fit it around your knee even with bandages on it. To fill it I have some of the small blocks that fit it a picnic cooler. I also have some small 12 oz bottles of water I freeze. It can only fit two blocks and three bottles at a time plus some ice and ice and water. It can last for up to 10 hours at a time with the blocks.

BTW I went to Breg's website to look at all of the machines. I didn't have one the first time but I love this one and still use it.

Looking on Amazon, cant find one that says polar cube, or an extra large universal pad. Where did you buy it?

I found it on Breg.com. Not on Amazon. It's actually a website that PT offices can buy all different types of equipment.

For anyone following the horror in my city , Orlando, the hospital that they were taken to, and that had the news conference yesterday, it's the wonderful hospital I will be having my surgery.

@Josephine or @Celle or anyone else. I read in some post here something about ibuprofen that kinda set me off. Until my August surgery, I live with terrible pain. I have been taking rx 800mg ibu along with 50 or 100 mg tramadol. , the rx is 3x a day. I try not to take it as often as rx, and dont even take it every day. My main concern is developing a tolerance to them where they won't help my pain. They do, just barely, take the edge off, but after reading about gastric bleeds I'm concerned.I always take with food, but should I be very concerned? I've never found tylenol to have any effect on my pain. Any thought?

Thanks

Any NSAID can cause problems with bleeding. That includes a number of meds including ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen and several others. As the name implies they are used for inflammation which is what arthritis causes. After a TKR you won't have any arthritis so after the initial period Tylenol (acetaminophen) will become a usual medication for pain and works best if you keep taking it around the clock at 1000 mg three or four times a day. When you add that to tramadol it worked better for me than just either one by itself. Eventually the Tylenol will be enough on its own and eventually you will not need medication at all.

Hi @newlybionic. Do you mean a total of 1000 a day? Or do you mean 3000 a day? I ask because I am six days from tkr. Told to stop all meds except Tylenol. Off Advil for only a day and already the arthritis pain is sharp. My internist said I can take up to 1000 milligrams of Tylenol a day but it's having no effect. I wonder if you and others think it would be safe for me to take more?

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

It's true that many people don't find Tylenol (Acetaminophen/Paracetamol) very effective for pain relief before surgery. However, after surgery it can be very effective, if taken regularly, in the correct therapeutic dose.
That dose is 1,000 mg, 4-6 hourly, to a daily total of 4,000 mg. You need to check, to make sure that none of the other medications you are taking contains Acetaminophen. If they do, add their amount to your calculations of daily dosage and reduce the amount of Tylenol you take. You do need to take the Tylenol regularly, to keep up the level in your blood.

Ibuprofen and other NSAIDS are primarily anti-inflammatories, not pain relievers. They carry the risk of gastric bleeding, so should be used with caution, and never long-term. Never take them on an empty stomach and stop taking them if you experience any gastric symptoms. They also have an effect on your blood, as they work on your platelets, which can make you more inclined to bleed in other areas as well. That's why you are asked to stop taking them before your surgery.
A recent study has shown that they can also have other ill effects as well:
NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study

It disturbs me that NSAIDS are available as over the counter medications, as they should always be used with caution.

I have been using ibu, either the 800mg rx ones, or the pm otc ones for years and dont have any gastric issues. I always take with milk and/or food. I know I will have to stop before surgery, but I guess for now, for as many years I have taken then, another 2 months cant do too much harm. I've heard that too much tylenol can cause liver problems, so isnt it really a case of pick your pain and measure it against quality of life & pain?

As long as you don't take more than 1,000 mg of Tylenol in one dose, and keep the daily total to 4,000 mg or less in 24 hours, it is safe for most people to take Tylenol, unless they already have a compromised liver function.
I understand that the USA recommends a daily total of 3,000 mg, because the powers that be are afraid people will not check if there is any Tylenol in other drugs they are taking.

Of course, there are potential dangers in taking any drug. You just need to be careful and weigh up the benefits against the potential dangers.

. Off Advil for only a day and already the arthritis pain is sharp. My internist said I can take up to 1000 milligrams of Tylenol a day but it's having no effect.

I feel the same. Tylenol has never helped my arthritis pain :-(

Hmm just looked at the calendar. Today is exactly 2 months before my knee replacement surgery.

It's also the marks 43 years ago today, in 1973 that I met a cute 22 year old boy on a motorcycle at a red stoplight, who became my best friend, love of my life, and my husband of so far 38 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
akabombshell
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom