THR Diagnosed with bilateral acetabular protrusion at 37 - feeling a little lost!

I went to a private hospital after I’d been on the NHS waiting list for three years. The consultant could access my X-ray, although as they were old I had more while I was there but as yours are recent it will probably be ok. It’s good to check with the secretary though. Good luck with your appointment.
 
Great that you are seeing Mr Zahn! Do try and speak to his medical secretary about the x-rays. I'm pretty sure he will be able to access them but it's best to know ahead of time.

Let us know how it goes!
I've just spoken to her, she said they will be able to access them, she's going to call me a few days before the appointment to sort. Phew!
 
Wow that is interesting, I'm intruiged now as to what medical dramas you have starred in!! That is amazing what you have picked up just from doing that!
Haha, that was a tongue-in-cheek joke about how many hip xrays I've seen since going down the THR path. Not a "real" tv doctor.

Thank you very much for this, I have looked at my x ray and I can see my femoral heads are all rather jaggard in places, I wonder what causes this to happen.
Unfortunately it's likely just your genetics. It's fairly common in THR patients, although it happens in different ways and at different paces. The misshapen joint grinds down the cartilage and then the bones start to make contact and the pain begins!
 
Wow that is interesting, I'm intruiged now as to what medical dramas you have starred in!! That is amazing what you have picked up just from doing that!
Haha, that was a tongue-in-cheek joke about how many hip xrays I've seen since going down the THR path. Not a "real" tv doctor.

Thank you very much for this, I have looked at my x ray and I can see my femoral heads are all rather jaggard in places, I wonder what causes this to happen.
Unfortunately it's likely just your genetics. It's fairly common in THR patients, although it happens in different ways and at different paces. The misshapen joint grinds down the cartilage and then the bones start to make contact and the pain begins!
Haha I totally missed your humour there! Oops!

My OS I saw said it was my Ankylosing Spondylitis I have that has done this to my hips, something about the bone softening and inflammation. To be honest I struggled to take in what he said as he didn't seem to make much sense to me!

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my x rays, really appreciated
 
Hi @Jaycey just wanted to say thank you for your recommendation i saw Dr Zahn Friday who was very good and explained things much better than my hospital did. Though not much closer to a resolution as everything is hanging on my rheumatologist and she is useless!
 
Sometimes the medical wheels are slow to turn. Perhaps Dr. Zahn could directly communicate your hip situation to your rheumatologist. It's amazing how quickly things can happen when the communication is directly doctor to doctor. If all else fails, perhaps a new consultation with a new rheumatologist is in your future. <Big Sigh>
@moonie8404
 
@moonie8404 So glad you got in to see Zahn. I found him so caring and thorough. He never had any problems with all my questions was always there post op if I had a concern.

I agree with Hip4life - have Zahn call and talk to your rheumatologist. They would need to talk if there is any complication that Zahn should be aware of.

Did he say how long the wait would be?
 
Hi @Hip4life and @Jaycey.

Nearly a year on and not much further on. Sad news is Dr Zahn is leaving William Harvey Hospital and I've been discharged from his care.

He gave me his private secretary's number ashe was going to try set him himself up at Onr Ashford on a NHS Choose and Book but after leaving a message a man called me back telling me quite rudely he could help me as I was an NHS patient! It is still early days so he hadn't probably sorted logistics yet and he is has to work out his time at William Harvey.

However now I'm without an orthopaedic surgeon, with really bad active inflammation in my hips, I had a really bad flare in January and I'm still recovering from it. Dr Zahn still keeps saying he wants to preserve my natural hips as long as possible but still my rheumatologist isn't listening. He wrote to her last month and I saw her, she is arranging another MRI and Is passing me on to another rheumatologist now for a second opinion, problem is I've now developed a chronic UTI and I'm on long term high dose antibiotics (diagnosed privately as NHS is not equipped to deal with CUTIs), however my rheumatologist isn't really on board with this so it's messing things up even more.

I'm so fed up, I don't know what to do now about my hips, being discharged from the hospital even though I will need double hip replacement, Mr Zahn is the only doctor who has ever shown concern and care and now it looks like i've lost him :(

Can anyone provide advice where I should go from here? I'm stuck going back to GP to get referral to my hospital now even though they also discharged me with this condition. I feel totally let down by the NHS at the moment.
 
@moonie8404 Can you see Zahn at Kent and Canterbury Hospital? Or ask his secretary which NHS Trust you should be referred to in order to stay with him.
 
@moonie8404 Can you see Zahn at Kent and Canterbury Hospital? Or ask his secretary which NHS Trust you should be referred to in order to stay with him.
Hi Jaycey, Mr Zahn himself gave me the details to hopefully get seen by him under this new clinic but these details and instructions he gave me haven't worked as they refuse to speak to me as I'm not NHS!


So I can't speak to anyone to find out. I left a message with his NHS secretary Heather but I've not heard back from her.
 
I left a message with his NHS secretary Heather but I've not heard back from her.
Let Heather know that the details Zahn gave you did not work. You might also leave a message for his private practice secretary. As you know, he is very responsive. If he knows you are having problems reconnecting with him he will take action.
 
I left a message with his NHS secretary Heather but I've not heard back from her.
Let Heather know that the details Zahn gave you did not work. You might also leave a message for his private practice secretary. As you know, he is very responsive. If he knows you are having problems reconnecting with him he will take action.
Thank you for replying. I did let Heather know, and I did leave a message for his private secretary but I got that awful call back from the gentleman, however I think I am going to call again but not mention on my message why I am calling!

I am hoping Heather might reply but she couldn't offer any help for me at the moment with it all. I'm just at a total loss how I can just be left like this really.
 
My real concern with my trust is the consultants do not seem to really give me clear answers as well as mixed messages with x ray results which really concerns me!
Well this is something Mr Zahn is very good about - making sure you understand the issues and working with you in planning the way forward. I was SO anxious when I found out my hip was gone. The minute I walked into the consultation with Mr Zahn I knew I could work with him. If you read the thread I gave you the link to, that member had the same experience.
I hope you don't mind me bothering you should I have any questions?
Of course not - that's what we are here for!
Can I ask how old were you when you had your surgery? How life changing was it?!
I'm an old lady compared to you. But I had my first THR at 58 years old. Mr Zahn said I was one of his younger patients.

I limped around for 3+ years as my bad hip was diagnosed as (yet another) issue with my spine. By the time I saw Zahn I could hardly walk. The first thing he did was send me to get crutches to help take the weight off that hip. He did use the x-ray my GP had ordered so I am sure he could access your diagnostics through the NHS archive system. I got my surgery date (NHS) the day of that consultation. Unfortunately it was a 6 month wait.

My surgery was definitely life changing. That first step putting weight on my new hip was amazing. No more grinding pain. The recovery was a bit longer for me due to waiting so long to get diagnosed. That's why I always urge our members to get things done as soon as possible. Trying to live with a painful hip impacts so many other areas of the body!

FYI - I just found my invoice for my consultation. I saw Zahn at Chaucer Hospital in Canterbury and it cost £150. Mine you, this was 13 years ago! I joined BoneSmart 2 days before the visit!
Hi Jaycey, not that it means much to you but you were so supportive when I first posted, I had an awful experience with a local surgeon yesterday (I posted a separate thread if you look under my name). According to him my hips are totally normal, apparently Mr Zahn and other consultants are wrong and I have nothing wrong. He was a vile man, honestly I'm very traumatised from the appointment :(

I'm on the look out for NHS consultants, I don't mind paying privately initially if it gets me on their NHS list but I need to find ones who specialises in young hips. Sadly Mr Zahn who you recommended and I saw and was under isn't planning on returning to NHS and is only private. I'm gutted as I can't afford long term private treatment.

If you have any advice on the best way to search for consultants I'd be so grateful. I've found a few but most are only private. I've heeded the advice of others on my posts here. Im beginning to really feel awful about my future and if this is my life, what a horrible life it is. I need some relief for all this pain
 
@moonie8404 So sorry you had a bad experience with this consultant. Please don't get discouraged. You just need to find someone who will listen and give you the time you need.

I don't know anyone other than Zahn in your area. Can you call Mr Zahn's office and ask him for a recommendation of an NHS consultant? I'm sure he would help you if asked.
 
I replied under the other thread suggesting you approach The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital to find an expert in your condition.
If that doesn't work I would also suggest my surgeon.
His name is Alex Liddle and he is a senior lecturer at Imperial College. He sees patients privately at King Edward's in London and on the NHS and privately at Charing X.
He specialises in hips and knees. He is a really lovely man who explains things brilliantly and takes time to talk through X rays/ MRIs. He is also a really good surgeon. He did an amazing job straightening my 20 degree valgus leg through a four inch partial knee replacement incision. I would trust his opinion. He sorted out where my pain was coming from- as I have hip/ knee and back pathology.
 
@moonie8404 So sorry you had a bad experience with this consultant. Please don't get discouraged. You just need to find someone who will listen and give you the time you need.

I don't know anyone other than Zahn in your area. Can you call Mr Zahn's office and ask him for a recommendation of an NHS consultant? I'm sure he would help you if asked.
Thanks @Jaycey , i did email Sarah at Marsh Medical, she replied saying I cannot pick them and my GP needs to refer me generically to the Trust.
 
Good evening! A little update with my story - i asked my GP to refer me to Mr Jonathan Hutt's clinic at UCLH - I was finally seen today.

I am so pleasef to report he confirmed my protrusio, and also explained my femur neck is actually not at the correct angle, it is more of aright angle when it should be less. I also have arthritis there too.

He has confirmed that my only course of action is a THR of my left hip, with the right hip to follow when I feel it is time.

I am so beyond relieved after my last appt with a local consultant who told me my hips were normal and discharge me from clinic.

I now need to make the decision when I'd like to proceed and I'm incredibly torn, do I leave it or act sooner rather than later - the pain is increasing however I am managing (just about). Id be really interested on people's opinions of what they would recommend.

I would so appreciate you lovely knowledgeable people's help on this! As the option is now there, I'm not knowing what to do!!
 
@moonie8404 … what an awful ordeal you’ve been through. I’m sad that you’ve been the victim of so much misinformation about your hip problems. As was said before, protrusio may be considered rare when numbers are compared to the general population, but it is quite common in the world of hip problems. You were so wise to continue to fight to find a surgeon who understands this and is willing to help you.

I don’t see any reason for you to hesitate in going forward with the hip replacement as soon as possible. Yes, you’re on the younger side of the patients we see here on BoneSmart. But you are certainly not alone in the need for relief from hip pain. The pain you’re experiencing will only worsen. It will not get better. Also, the idea of waiting brings a risk that your hip could completely collapse at some point. That is an emergency situation you want to avoid. You have a family you want to enjoy and a new hip will allow you to stop living your life around your pain. Those precious times with your children are lost if you have to constantly deal with the pain and limitations of a deteriorating joint.

If you have specific concerns, please let us know what they are. @Jaycey is still with BoneSmart as a consultant and I’ve tagged her to comment since you’ve spent so much time talking with her previously. Hopefully she’ll get the tag and offer her encouragement.

I must let you know that since you were here last we’ve implemented a new 2-tier membership program. Basic Members like yourself are limited to using the search feature to find threads to read and they are permitted to make on-topic posts on existing threads like you’ve done here on your previous pre-op thread. But I believe you are looking more for the personalized support that is now part of our Insiders Club level. Please see our Guidelines for Posting and Membership Page for additional information. Should you decide to have your hip replaced, Insider Club membership would allow you full access to our staff, our BoneSmart Library of educational material and the ability to start a thread to journal your recovery. So you might consider one of the subscription options available through the link on the Membership Page at some point.
 
My hands up for get it done sooner! We all progress differently but my personal story is one of putting it off. I was fine for a while but it rapidly declined. Not only causing me to experience a very challenging wait for surgery (UK) but now in early recovery having a very tough time. My experience is that as the hips go into serious decline, soft tissue damage becomes as much of an issue as the hip, maybe more so. The soft tissue damage is disabling. My new hip, 9 days post op is wonderful but my soft tissue damage is going to take time. If both hips are indicated for replacement, then even more reason. Recovery is often a lot less challenging if you go into surgery with good soft tissue health.
 
Very similar initial story for me. Never could cross my legs as a kid etc, femoral acetabular impingement in my 20s and putting off the hip replacement for a long time, having two young kids etc. Very very similar story. Well I'm 13 months out from my hip replacement, I'll be 38 next month and my life is just...... Night and day. I can do everything. Everything. I have a fully functional leg and even something as stupid as squatting down to tie my sons skates this winter like all the other parents was huge for me. I never wanted my kids to have the crippled dad and now they don't have to. It's a big decision, but coming from a similar scenario I can say it's the best thing I've ever done for myself and my family. Good luck!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom