Guest viewing is limited

THR Diagnosed with bilateral acetabular protrusion at 37 - feeling a little lost!

I now need to make the decision when I'd like to proceed and I'm incredibly torn, do I leave it or act sooner rather than later - the pain is increasing however I am managing (just about). Id be really interested on people's opinions of what they would recommend.
I've just read your thread and feel so frustrated for you. I really think there's a policy (in the NHS anyway) not to perform certain surgeries if the patient is young. What they don't seem to take into account is quality of life whilst you struggle on with the pain. Meanwhile your health deteriorates because you're not getting the support you need.

As others here have said, whatever age you are, you shouldn't be in so much pain, & health services have a duty of care to help you. I had hip dysplasia (diagnosed in 2007). It was only ten years later, when I was in a lot of pain, I was told my hip needed replacing. What I didn't realise, because I wasn't told at the time, was that they could have repaired my hip in 2007. But I wasn't offered any advice, except a diagnosis. Again, because of my age (I was 36) I think they just wanted to cross their fingers and hope my relative youth would get me through.

So my advice is to get the hip replaced now. Otherwise things will only get worse while you wait. Don't let your consultant tell you otherwise. You need a quality of life!
 
@Annekin…..I don’t believe the age factor is actually a policy in the UK, but it often is a belief carried by surgeons who don’t realize how long today’s hips can last and consider the quality of life as an important determining factor in the decision about surgery. There are surgeons who provide THRs for patients as young as in their teens and early 20’s when needed.
 
@Annekin…..I don’t believe the age factor is actually a policy in the UK, but it often is a belief carried by surgeons who don’t realize how long today’s hips can last and consider the quality of life as an important determining factor in the decision about surgery. There are surgeons who provide THRs for patients as young as in their teens and early 20’s when needed.
Yes. Sorry. I didn't mean formal policy, but an implicit policy. So often I was told they were reluctant to replace my hip because, given my age, I may need more than one revision. This attitude fails to take into account quality of life, which I don't think is properly considered by a lot of surgeons when making decisions about patient wellbeing.
 
Yep, you’re entirely correct about this being the attitude of many surgeons worldwide. When a young person encounters doctors like this, the best thing is just to keep looking for surgeons who better understand today’s hip surgery and factors in quality of life issues when advising patients. It’s just plain cruel in today’s world to tell a younger person to wait until they are “bad enough” to have a hip replaced. There are surgeons who get this and will help younger patients.
 
Hi @moonie8404

I would echo what others have said. Your time now, with your young family, is not time you can ever get back. None of us know what’s round the corner. I put off my first hip replacement for quite some time, only to be hit with a stage 4 cancer diagnosis 6 months after I had had it done. Do I wish I had been able to make more of the time I was limping around? You bet. Hoping you can get a good outcome.
 
Hiya, I'm new to here - my daughter, 12yrs old, has been diagnosed with bilateral protrusio acetabulai, 10mm on one side, 1mm on the other. She also dislocated her knee last year, which I think was related!
We have excellent care with a paediatric orthopaedic specialist (in New Zealand). She has just had steroid injections which seem to be helping. We discovered the condition due to the pain she was experiencing - which is really hard for someone so young! It was asymptomatic until just the last few months.
Is there anything she should / should not be doing, while her pelvis is still growing, that would help the condition to not get worse?
 
Welcome to BoneSmart, @Yvie_and_Meelo. I'm sorry to read that your daughter is dealing with this condition and am glad to read that you have a good orthopedist to treat her.

The member whose thread you just posted in has not been on the Forum in more than a year, so you probably won't get a reply.

If you would like to start your own thread to initiate a discussion on this topic and receive advice from staff, I encourage you to join our Insiders Club. As an Insider, you will be able to start your own threads, chat with other members and receive answers from staff to your questions or concerns.

You are welcome to remain a Basic Member, but should be aware that it is limited in terms of forum participation. It’s meant primarily for members who choose only to research and read on specific topics. Basic Members are asked not to post in others' threads unless offering advice/support to that member. However, feel free to use the SEARCH button on the far right of the blue tool bar to look for other threads on this topic since there are a number of threads by members with the condition.

Best Wishes, and we you will consider joining the Insiders Club. We are a non-profit and depend upon member donations to keep BoneSmart available.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom